ABSITE study strategy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gsurg17

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a categorical PGY1 taking the ABSITE for the first time this year. I have about 2 weeks of vacation over the next month. Should I just try to memorize the ABSITE review book as much as possible during this time, or should I actually read from one of the textbooks as much as possible to get some real knowledge?

Members don't see this ad.

Agree.

The best way is to go through and memorize the review book, and as you go through, if you find something you need to look up and clarify, annotate your review book. In other words, have a full textbook available for reference. That way as you re-read the ABSITE book (or re-use it the next year), you can remind yourself of those extra details that needed clarification.

There's no way in 2 weeks you can cover as much material in the big textbook as you need to cover; you can cover just about everything you need to cover in the review book in just those 300ish pages.

Members don't see this ad :)
Read the Thread on ABSITE Question Banks

Reactions: 1 user
^the above link is dead...Would like to know about ABsite Qbanks myself

CBG23:15221485 said:
^the above link is dead...Would like to know about ABsite Qbanks myself
While I didn't use it myself, many in my program used absite weapon this year and the programs cumulative score went up by about 20 percentiles... So much so we are trying to talk the program into subscribing for us.

I like the Schwartz qbooks... Marginal opinion on score question bank

While I didn't use it myself, many in my program used absite weapon this year and the programs cumulative score went up by about 20 percentiles... So much so we are trying to talk the program into subscribing for us.

I like the Schwartz qbooks... Marginal opinion on score question bank
Is that this one?

Anyone else use Surgery Board Weapon? How does it compare to the style of ABsite questions? Are the explanations any good? How does it compare to UWorld for the Step exams?

Anyone else use Surgery Board Weapon? How does it compare to the style of ABsite questions? Are the explanations any good? How does it compare to UWorld for the Step exams?
Uh...it's what @thedrjojo and I are discussing above. Apparently it helped several in his program for ABSITE.

Since the users here are mostly residents, fellows and attendings I suspect most won't have a comment on the use for Step exams.

^ I meant that UWorld was THE QBank for the step exams. I was wondering if Surgery Board Weapon was as good for the ABsite as UWorld was for the steps.

I know the drjojo said it worked for him and residents at his program. I just wanted to hear more than one person's perspective :)

Last edited:
Uh...it's what @thedrjojo and I are discussing above. Apparently it helped several in his program for ABSITE.

Since the users here are mostly residents, fellows and attendings I suspect most won't have a comment on the use for Step exams.
I never got this flag ;)
^ I meant that UWorld was THE QBank for the step exams. I was wondering if Surgery Board Weapon was as good for the ABsite as UWorld was for the steps.

I know the drjojo said it worked for him and residents at his program. I just wanted to hear more than one person's perspective :)
The interns in my class thought it was uworld like, and not many used the score questions

It's pretty new so there isn't likely a lot of experience with it but a friend of mine used it for the QE last year and thought it was helpful.

I looked at the questions and thought it looked pretty decent, similar to the real thing, with good explanations.

I found SBW to be the most useful source of questions, several actually showed up on the exam almost ver batim and the general themes tested were similar to the test.

Cool; sounds like it's worth a try as a resource. Thanks to everyone who posted,