Absolute latest time to take GRE?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WHOdriscoll91

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone!

I'm right now swamped with work applying to some gap year positions, and finishing up a summer internship, but I'm trying to schedule out an MPH application timeline. When is the absolute latest I can take the GRE? Not that I would want to wait to the last minute, but I just want a solid deadline to construct a study plan around.

Members don't see this ad.

I don't want to sound like an a-hole, but studying for the GRE isn't that much time consuming. It isn't the MCAT where it will be hard to succeed if you have a full time job. I studied for the quantitative portion of the GRE for less than two hours after I finished my last undergrad exam before I graduated. I had a whole week between my last exam and graduation so I took a weeknight to just start my GRE studying. I took two GRE practice test from 2012 and I got 43 out of 50.

I was planning on taking my GRE back in January so I could start applying quickly when I didn't want to go down the med school route. But now I am planning on going back down the med school route, but at the same time I think I could be happy going to get either an MS or MPH in Biostatistics so I studied for the MCAT instead of the GRE. BUT when I took my practice exams for the GRE I never studied for them and still got the 75 percentile in the Quantitative and at least 55 percentile in the Verbal...and I am just a 3.20 GPA student.

The GRE takes 15 days (I think) to get your score back for the GRE. Here is a link to the 2014 deadlines for SOPHAS programs: http://www.sophas.org/deadlines.cfm. If you ask me, the way they did it was really odd because they should have just had every school's deadline on one page so you could just find your school and look for the application deadline date.

Yah I've been getting the same response from most. So I guess I was just worrying myself. Thanks!