Academia

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nvega13

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How much do ODs who teach make? Do must of them just teach, or do they do a combo of teaching and practicing? Also, is it hard to et a teaching job straight out of school (i.e. do you need work experience)?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

nvega13 said:
How much do ODs who teach make? Do must of them just teach, or do they do a combo of teaching and practicing? Also, is it hard to et a teaching job straight out of school (i.e. do you need work experience)?

Thanks.

All of these questions are dependent upon where you want to work (i.e. what school) and what you want to teach.
What interests do you have in academia? Lecturing or being an attending doctor? Do you think you'll have something to offer the students with no real world experience? You will make far less in academia than in the real world. This is true for all professions not just optometry.

nvega13 said:

Thanks.
At SUNY (and maybe this is the same at all schools), the teaching faculty are required to have completed a residency.

Members don't see this ad :)
xmattODx said:
All of these questions are dependent upon where you want to work (i.e. what school) and what you want to teach.
What interests do you have in academia? Lecturing or being an attending doctor? Do you think you'll have something to offer the students with no real world experience? You will make far less in academia than in the real world. This is true for all professions not just optometry.

I was just wondering if in the future I decided to take a break from pacticing and went into academia for a bit (lecturing) approx. how much should I expect to make? Is it drastically less than a practicing OD (say at a school like SUNY)?

Thanks

nvega13 said:
I was just wondering if in the future I decided to take a break from pacticing and went into academia for a bit (lecturing) approx. how much should I expect to make? Is it drastically less than a practicing OD (say at a school like SUNY)?

Thanks

A lot also depends on your qualifications and your duties. You get paid more for the more degrees you have and the more you do. I'd say look at about $60,000-$80,000 for a full-time position in academia maybe less. (I was never truly faculty but did hold an adjunct position and was making a little less than I could in the real world in an overly saturated market. I may be totally off base here but this is my experience.)