Academic Dishonesty - Applying to Optometry Schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Rachel Mendez

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have already applied to optometry schools and my interviews are coming up. I may have a record for "academic dishonesty"... should I mention this problem at the interview if there's no "Record" or "case" yet?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Will this show up on your transcript? At my school, there is a course offered to students caught with academic dishonesty that will take the mark off their transcript. Try to see if your school has that and see if you can get if off your transcript before you send out your final ones to the schools that admit you. Optometry schools will only see what is on your transcript, I'm pretty sure but I could be wrong.

Members don't see this ad :)
This is a pretty grave issue. The professional thing to do would be to tell them during your interview, or if you want, to email admissions right now and tell them to spare you from having to spend time/effort/money interviewing if it is an automatic deal-closer; they should be notified. Goodluck.

Should I bring this potential case up during the interview/via email beforehand?

Last edited:
There is simply no way anyone would be able to give you any sort of answer. Any answer given would be pure guesswork.

I would just go to the interview, explain yourself and hope for the best. There's really no other choice.

I think you need to find out from your professor whether this problem is on your record or not. If it is on your record somehow, then you probably need to explain it.

If it isn't on your record in any way, then it isn't on your record. move on, learn from your mistake, and bring it up only if it comes up or if it's very likely that it will come up.

Do the OptomCAS committee or the optometry schools decide whether it the academic infraction is acceptable?

Last edited:
Should I bring this potential case up during the interview/via email beforehand or tell them after being accepted (if so)? The final decision of this case (if opened) won't be made until after my interview. Tough call...

I'd appreciate feedback!

I believe your real concern is, if you are ruled against in your case, and the optometry school where you've been accepted finds out, will your seat at the school become jeopardized. I would ask at your current school (i.e., where the case is pending) what the possible outcomes are, and and whether and how these would manifest on your record as it is forwarded to other institutions.

If I am ruled against in my case, I will tell the optometry school even if admitted. However, in doing so, can I be kicked out after I receive an acceptance letter ... even prior to attending the school?

If I am ruled against in my case, I will tell the optometry school even if admitted. However, in doing so, can I be kicked out after I receive an acceptance letter ... even prior to attending the school?

Short answer - yes, they can kick you out if you fail to meet their requirements for admission even after you've been accepted. One of the requirements may very well be keeping a clean record.

I think you need to find out from your professor whether this problem is on your record or not. If it is on your record somehow, then you probably need to explain it.

If it isn't on your record in any way, then it isn't on your record. move on, learn from your mistake, and bring it up only if it comes up or if it's very likely that it will come up.

It isn't in the professor's hands anymore. It has been sent to the school's Student Judicial Services and the case under investigation. There is no course to take to remove the record and they don't let you off the hook if it's your first offense either. They have told me that if it I am found "guilty", it doesn't matter whether it is my first, second, or third offense. An offense is an offense.The record would also be on file for 7 years.

Short answer - yes, they can kick you out if you fail to meet their requirements for admission even after you've been accepted. One of the requirements may very well be keeping a clean record.

Does this also apply if a record is placed on file AFTER admission?

It can. Still depends on the individual schools' policies. There's really no way to know without asking.

I appreciate everyone's time and feedback.

Update: I am no longer going to purse a degree in optometry.

@Rachel Mendez I'm sorry to hear. Assuming this decision was a last resort, I wish you all the best in your education and future career.