Academic Integrity Issue

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted621466

-

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know how to answer this...

Did you intentionally cheat (or create a situation where cheating could occur)?

When I was an undergrad, the most cheating I saw was the pre-med folks. It always amazed me. I never intended, unlike yourself, to become a doctor when I first went to college. It happened much later for me (in my 30's). But, I took a lot of science classes in undergrad while working on my liberal arts degree.

I just never understood cheating. I do understand that a lot of cheaters never get caught, though. But, watching those cheaters (one almost openly during an O-Chem exam) made me wonder: What are you going to do when you're in a difficult situation with a patient and you don't know the answer? Make it up? Lie? Tell them you don't know?

I'm not dogging you. I'm just trying to understand. I say this because there have been cheaters I have worked with since I've started practicing medicine. They're as plain as the nose on your face. They're the ones who always seem to be in peer-review or lawsuits or having their billing questioned or are being audited all the time. They are, pardon my language, ****ty doctors and they can do real damage to the community and the hospital. For example, we finally just got rid of a surgeon at an area hospital because they couldn't get insurance anymore for him. I know patients that he personally maimed or killed. The most frustrating for me was waiting until he finally got his come-uppance. But, he did. Clear cheater... in life and everything else.

But, inherent in your post, I do have to say that I take a bit of offense that you seem to think that a Caribbean school would automatically overlook this worrisome blemish on an otherwise good transcript. Maybe some would. I can speak for only my experience at Ross and tell you that they do have an honor code, and there was a story of several students who were kicked out of the school for cheating when I was there. They managed to get ahold of a test somehow. When this was found out, gone. Sounds like a similar situation to what you described.

Bottom line: We don't need cheaters in medicine. And you are way off base if you think the Caribbean will support, condone, or endorse that kind of behavior... at least the reputable schools. If it was an honest mistake and you learned from it, that's one thing. But, if it's a pattern, you're going to have a hard time practicing medicine someday, even if you are successful and get your degree, because the tendency to "take the easy road" is so ingrained in some people that you can't root it out. And, you can't do that in medicine when people's lives are on the line. When that happens, people die.

I'm sorry, but you don't seemed to have learned anything substantial from this. From your post, it appears that you're just trying to take another shortcut and "cheat" your way around a problem - one that you created.

Do some serious soul searching. That's my advice.

-Skip

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Later on the professor realized that he never saw the study guide I made last year even though he told me to make it and we discussed in the TA meeting with his approval. Right now I am going through the academic review with all of these which is why I was wondering it was possible to get in Caribbean schools with a record on my hand. (I was originally aiming to get in D.O schools).

If you are being completely honest with us (and yourself) and these facts are correct, I would work diligently to get this expunged. If you cannot do this, hire a lawyer. This will potentially change the situation. They have to understand that they are potentially ruining your life.

Lately, there has been this insidious, vicious, and "zero tolerance" agenda that has crept into academia. Some of these ivory-tower types feel the need to completely sabotage someone's life coupled with a "devil may care" attitude by those who are perceived to be "untouchable" people. It is rampant in some institutions, and the reach of their decisions goes way beyond what is normally allowed as "fair play" given the due process that you would otherwise get in the legal system. I would challenge this. I know of stories where people were unfairly kicked out of residency for ridiculous "zero tolerance" polices only later to be reinstated once the lawyers got involved.

I'm not telling you what to do. But, this is your life. It may be worthwhile to seek legal counsel for an opinion (and worth the investment) if you have your facts straight and are on the "right" side of this issue... or even if there is a gray area.

-Skip

And...

I don't want to appear as though I'm flip-flopping on this issue. If you knew you were cheating (or creating shortcuts), that's one thing. If you had the tacit approval of the professor to do this type of study guide, and he didn't take an interest in it, that's something else entirely.

Only you and this professor know the facts. Like someone famous once said, "There are two sides to every story. Somewhere in middle you find the truth." Unfortunately, that's why we have a legal system.

You can get into a US DO school, possibly MD, even with that on your record.

You will have to explain it during every interview, and how you explain it will be the difference between getting in and getting rejected. Dont look like you are trying to hide it either. Give honest disclosure on your apps.

Basically if you wear that on your chest, most people would not care at all about the blemish on your record.