academic jobs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bluebubbles

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
It is not possible to answer this question, since each academic center makes up its own set of rules.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Majority research positions are few and far between. To be truly competitive in the R01 environment a postdoc is almost a requirement. More clinically oriented positions depend on scholarly output for sure but as one commenter has already pointed out each place is different and the reality is 5 years from now when you are done with residency the environment might be completely different.

Most 50% protected time faculty get this by having an existing grant like a K award or T32 grant
current clinician researchers having more than 80/20 clinic research are dwindling! most high level programs require you to be busy enough that realistically, 80/20 is really 100/10! (my translation: 110% of your effort in both directions) But: Despite all, we love it. we signed up for it. Good Luck!

I've heard at least once it's just about sheer number of papers.

If you want more than 50% research that is incorrect. I'm talking to places for jobs now and there are interested parties but it always comes down to the same thing...show me the money. No money, no thanks.

Like other people have said having funding still isn't enough. No matter what you hear research is not (fiscally) profitable. It's got to be a significant part of the culture when you are looking.

Too much to consider now for you with a lot of moving parts. Rank places that have recently placed residents in positions you would want. Probably your best predictor.