Academic projects

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jamochacreampie

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
How important is doing academic projects (research, conference presentations, pubs) in residency? My first year of derm residency is coming to a close and I haven't contributed anything to the field. I want to do general derm, no particular interest in academics. That being said, of course I want to be considered a "good" resident and it's not that I'm lazy and don't want to do projects, I just haven't stumbled upon or conceived of any in the past year. Should I be hounding attendings like a med student for ideas for projects?

Members don't see this ad.

How important is doing academic projects (research, conference presentations, pubs) in residency? My first year of derm residency is coming to a close and I haven't contributed anything to the field. I want to do general derm, no particular interest in academics. That being said, of course I want to be considered a "good" resident and it's not that I'm lazy and don't want to do projects, I just haven't stumbled upon or conceived of any in the past year. Should I be hounding attendings like a med student for ideas for projects?

If you have no desire to do any projects, the nice part about having matched is that you don't have to.

That being said, it can be helpful if you are thinking about applying for a fellowship.

I would check your resident handbook as well to see what the minimum requirements are for graduating. Even my program which isn't very heavy on the academics required 5 publications / presentations / something as one of the prerequisites for graduating.