Academic settings salary

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sujalneuro

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What is the average salary in an academic setting? What should be expected? Is there a difference in outpatient vs inpatient salaries. How does it compare to other settings... What is more appropriate for a fresh graduate. Thanks for your input!!

Members don't see this ad.

Unfortunately, what your asking is going to be VERY location dependent.

And by that, I mean it's going to vary widely from institution to institution. Starting salaries for junior faculty fresh out of residency that can differ by $30-50K annually from one program to another down the road.

Further complicating it is the fact that it doesn't necessarily correspond to program quality or reputation. There are a lot of very good public academic programs that pay very poorly while some less renowned ones with nice endowments pay a good deal more. It also doesn't correspond with cost of living and you can find some nicer salaries in places with lower costs of living than some big city programs.

In California, you can expect $150K-$190K annually for an academic job (more of the lower end of the range than the higher). Anything less than $150K/year would be considered very low and anything more than $190K would be considered very high, for starting faculty salary in California. Many of the lower salary programs allow more more faculty practice work where you can try to increase your income stream.

As to your other question, many programs have a differential for inpatient docs. It can be minimal ($5K) or substantial ($15K or more). Hope this helps.

Reactions: 1 user
Earning 150K in California is the equivalent of 75K in Kansas. Sad isn't it.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
These positions do not require more than 15-20 hour commitments. Residents in LA make more than 150k moonlighting.

Last edited:
These positions do not require more than 15-20 hour commitments. Residents in LA make more than 150k moonlighting.
No, the academic salaries I mentioned above are for full time positions.

I would take the $150k resident moonlighting in LA with a grain of salt. You can definitely make that with inpatient/PES work by working your fingers to the bone. And I know of folks who command the $350/hour part-time in residency, but they are exclusively NPI and transplants and those guys were dealing with a healthy dose of axis II and the expectation is quick response day or night. I prefer shift work.

Regardless, the OP was asking academic salaries. You can definitely supplement with moonlighting, but keep in mind that academic jobs tend not to be shift work and the hours can be long.

You will make more working in a non-academic setting, generally speaking. You will also likely see higher volumes of patients, be less connected with the research community, and have less of a teaching role (you might oversee PAs for instance). What's most appropriate depends on what you want out of a career. In my experience academic jobs tend more toward $150k or less starting but with good benefits, while non-academic jobs that appear comparable start a little over $200k, but as has already been said these numbers vary a great deal from place to place. I think in the midwest, Texas, South, and generally places that are underserved you can find academic salaries that are much better.

Reactions: 1 user
If you look in the right locations, you can do better. I have a peer who took an academic CAP job for 240k per year.

Academia is being majorly screwed right now.

A lot of the pushback against pharmaceutical commercialization has hurt income potential for doctors in academia. E.g. now it's harder if not impossible to host a pharmaceutical sponsored meeting (not that I'd do one of them anyway). A lot of pharm reps used to ask professors first cause they had more credibility.

Small private college-medical schools are in the worst category. All state schools have state subsidization and can offer their professors teachers' retirement packages that are extremely nice. (That is 25 years of work you get half your salary the rest of your life plus health benefits). Big private schools often have huge donor funds to help out with pay. Small private colleges have neither.

So at a small private college medical school expect to make less money and have no good retirement package.

Add to the problem if the small private medical school is in an under-served area. Why stay in a place where the pay is low, stress is high, no good retirement package when the VA offers the same but a good retirement package, or private practice that'll pay almost twice as much with much less stress?