Academic vs clinical schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RomyLove333

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, im a 3rd yr med student from a southern school without an ophtho department. Any advice on which schools to apply to that are more clinically oriented then academic? Thanks in advance:)

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everyone, im a 3rd yr med student from a southern school without an ophtho department. Any advice on which schools to apply to that are more clinically oriented then academic? Thanks in advance:)

Not always black and white. Some places, like Bascom, Emory, etc are very academic but also very clinical.

Members don't see this ad :)
See the following: The Careers in Medicine website offered by the AAMC maintains a complete listing of all residency programs in the US with number of residents, salary, program type (community vs. academic) and contact information for the department residency PD and coordinator. You need to sign in to view the file. Good luck!

https://www.aamc.org/students/medstudents/cim/specialties/63748/cim_pub_ophthalmology.html

I am unable to find this listing on the CiM website. After logging in I've always been able to see the Ophthalmology specialty page, but I do not see this listing to which you refer. It only contains general statistics about Ophthalmology from surveys - such as compensation, payer mix, and information about the length of training. If you wouldn't mind helping me, where exactly is this file located?

While the best places offer both (Bascom, Emory, Iowa, Michigan, USC, Duke..), there are exceptions to the rule. For example, most people that end up at Mass Eye and Ear end up doing fellowships. This is likely due to the fact that most selected for training here end up going into academics. However, you want to make sure you end up at a program where you do not need a fellowship to feel comfortable for practice.

In other words, go to the best program you can - your primary focus in residency should be on clinical / surgical ophthalmology. Academic interests are important, but they should be of #2 priority.

Without a home program, you must do away electives to obtain at least 2 ophthalmology letters of recommendation. Perhaps spend some time with a local community ophthalmology clinic before you go out to do your "audition" electives. Do not use the community ophthalmologists for a LOR unless he/she is famous.