Accept or reapply?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

anabananaz

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Currently, I have been accepted to two schools. I am a Florida resident and is accepted to a private school in Florida and one out of state. However, I had my heart set on UF and unfortunately UF has not invite me for an interview and I've given up hope for this cycle. I really want to get into the Orlando campus at Lake Nona since I do live in Orlando and would not have to move and not to mention UF is a very well known school with a great reputation.
I applied really close to the deadline this year and is wondering if I should reapply early (July) for 2015 cycle or just should accept my offer at the other private FL school.

My stats:
Overall GPA 3.7
Science:3.6
PCAT: 70

Members don't see this ad.

Currently, I have been accepted to two schools. I am a Florida resident and is accepted to a private school in Florida and one out of state. However, I had my heart set on UF and unfortunately UF has not invite me for an interview and I've given up hope for this cycle. I really want to get into the Orlando campus at Lake Nona since I do live in Orlando and would not have to move and not to mention UF is a very well known school with a great reputation.
I applied really close to the deadline this year and is wondering if I should reapply early (July) for 2015 cycle or just should accept my offer at the other private FL school.

My stats:
Overall GPA 3.7

If I were you, I would accept the admission offers for pharmacy schools for this Fall. There is no guarantee you would get in UF next year. The more you wait, the tougher the competition there is for schools. Unless the schools are really really bad (you didn't say which ones you are accepted to), you do not want to waste any time. Don't be afraid to move !! GL :)

Last edited:
I plan on retaking the PCAT and aiming to get at least an 80 and apply to all schools in Florida next cycle because when I applied this cycle I was missed all FL schools' dead lines but two. But I suppose you are correct, I should just take my offer and be grateful.

Members don't see this ad :)
I plan on retaking the PCAT and aiming to get at least an 80 and apply to all schools in Florida next cycle because when I applied this cycle I was missed all FL schools' dead lines but two. But I suppose you are correct, I should just take my offer and be grateful.

I think that is smart !! :)

This is just my two cents, but I feel that your grades are competitive enough to keep on working for UF. I think that applying so close to the deadline did indeed hurt you a lot, and you will get a huge advantage for reapplying again, especially in July. Along with that you will also be working to improve your PCAT (and extracurriculars too I hope! Just something like volunteering etc). It's hard to gauge exactly "WAMC" for UF but one thing is for sure, you will never know until you try (giving it your all this time!).

Of course there are a lot of complications and extra work that comes into that (making sure your units dont expire, costs, stress in working on apps again) but I feel that you were not able to "show them your all" this cycle with that deadline cutoff. Letter of Rec will also be an added hassle to keep in mind. Just wanted to let you know that if you have your heart set on UF for sure, you may be disappointed going to alternates.

This is my second time applying for pharmacy school, and my grades were never the best, but I'm glad I didn't settle for less. With my experience from the first time, I was able to get into my all time reach school. ;-;

This is just my two cents, but I feel that your grades are competitive enough to keep on working for UF. I think that applying so close to the deadline did indeed hurt you a lot, and you will get a huge advantage for reapplying again, especially in July. Along with that you will also be working to improve your PCAT (and extracurriculars too I hope! Just something like volunteering etc). It's hard to gauge exactly "WAMC" for UF but one thing is for sure, you will never know until you try (giving it your all this time!).

Of course there are a lot of complications and extra work that comes into that (making sure your units dont expire, costs, stress in working on apps again) but I feel that you were not able to "show them your all" this cycle with that deadline cutoff. Letter of Rec will also be an added hassle to keep in mind. Just wanted to let you know that if you have your heart set on UF for sure, you may be disappointed going to alternates.

This is my second time applying for pharmacy school, and my grades were never the best, but I'm glad I didn't settle for less. With my experience from the first time, I was able to get into my all time reach school. ;-;

Thank you. Its a hard decision for sure. I still do not know what to do.

Take your current offers, It doesn't make a big difference which school you went to in long term.

My stats:
Overall GPA 3.7
You really want to put off pharmacy school and just work for $11 an hour for the next year and possibly not get in next year? I didn't get in my top choice either, the one in my hometown but I'm not waiting and wasting a year and $100,000+

I was accepted into 4 schools last year. Ultimately it came down to whether or not I wanted to go to Midwestern Chicago. I chose not to and decided to reapply. Yes, I lost out on a theoretical 100K but I'm glad I did. I learned more things during my job and got to spend more time with my friends and family. I am an older applicant (I'm currently 26) but I chose what was right for me. This year I was accepted into programs that I am much more happier with in terms of program quality and opportunities. If all goes right, I might get in-state tuition at UMB after a year. Do what you feel will make you happy, don't get stuck anywhere because it's much harder to get out once you're in. If going to the other school is a plausible idea and won't leave you miserable, then go. But if you feel like it's going to be a decision you will regret, don't.

I was accepted into 4 schools last year. Ultimately it came down to whether or not I wanted to go to Midwestern Chicago. I chose not to and decided to reapply. Yes, I lost out on a theoretical 100K but I'm glad I did. I learned more things during my job and got to spend more time with my friends and family. I am an older applicant (I'm currently 26) but I chose what was right for me. This year I was accepted into programs that I am much more happier with in terms of program quality and opportunities. If all goes right, I might get in-state tuition at UMB after a year. Do what you feel will make you happy, don't get stuck anywhere because it's much harder to get out once you're in. If going to the other school is a plausible idea and won't leave you miserable, then go. But if you feel like it's going to be a decision you will regret, don't.

Thank you for providing insight! But I was invited for an interview to UF this past week and is very excited!
Hopefully I will be accepted after my interview, but if not i will likely try again next cycle. I hope all goes well for you!

Reactions: 1 user
Even though I was accepted to 3 schools and paid the deposite to Concordia University-Wisconsin (CUW), my first choice is UMN and I place in the ranked waitlist. So, I concern whether I should prepare to reapply for next cycle or just start at CUW. If I have to reapply, I have a question about using the pharmCAS. Since I have my application in pharmcas in this cycle, then can I use the same application for next cycle? (including PCAT score and references) Actually I'm planning to retake pcat but I'm curious the references. Do I have to get NEW references?

Even though I was accepted to 3 schools and paid the deposite to Concordia University-Wisconsin (CUW), my first choice is UMN and I place in the ranked waitlist. So, I concern whether I should prepare to reapply for next cycle or just start at CUW. If I have to reapply, I have a question about using the pharmCAS. Since I have my application in pharmcas in this cycle, then can I use the same application for next cycle? (including PCAT score and references) Actually I'm planning to retake pcat but I'm curious the references. Do I have to get NEW references?
yes you have to get new references, but you can try ask your writers to save the letter they wrote to you before and hopefully add to it? they can submit the same one but I do not think that will strengthen your app well

My stats:
Overall GPA 3.7
I think you have good stats for UF but applying late might have hurt you. I think if you were to retake the PCAT and get 80+ and apply early next cycle, you should get an interview from UF. But again there is no guarantee so it would be difficult for anybody to turn down a pharmacy school seat. I would personally just take the offer you have and start pharmacy school. Remember that there are hundreds(or more) of people right now who wold love to be in your position.

I think you have good stats for UF but applying late might have hurt you. I think if you were to retake the PCAT and get 80+ and apply early next cycle, you should get an interview from UF. But again there is no guarantee so it would be difficult for anybody to turn down a pharmacy school seat. I would personally just take the offer you have and start pharmacy school. Remember that there are hundreds(or more) of people right now who wold love to be in your position.

I agree with you. Throw away an offer in hand and reapply is a big risk. One has to be really sure he or she can get in next year. The competition is always getting harder.

Thanks! But I did get an invite for an interview after all. And I did decline both seats so hopefully I will be accepted!

Take what you have. reapplying doesnt mean you will get in next year. Maybe if one of the schools you got into allows you to defer?

I think that's too risky for you and not worth it. If I were you, I would choose the best one among those too. You will be one year late if you reapply, and you are not guaranteed to get in UF. What would you do if no schools accept you next year? More waiting, more competitive. State schools may be cheaper but you will get out one year earlier if you accept the offers , and will make at least $100,000 for that year.
I got accepted to 4 schools this year and all are private schools. I did not apply to the public school of my state.

Thanks! But I did get an invite for an interview after all. And I did decline both seats so hopefully I will be accepted!

I wish the best for you. Please tell us you got accepted into UF !!!! :)