Acceptance anxiety?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mdambitions

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any nontrads feel oddly anxious since being accepted? I hadn't expected to be accepted. I had been planning on reapplying. I had transcript request forms ready to go, LORs lined up, an additional MCAT scheduled for May, was in the middle of a Kaplan course. Now, I'm in. Wow.

I'm afraid to cancel my MCAT, on the absurd notion that my acceptance was a mistake, or will be rescinded. I submitted the background request forms, know I'm an upstanding citizen (even hold a security clearance), and am worried. About what, I have no idea.

I already requested all of my transcripts to be sent to my school. Yay! All of which were verified by AMCAS of course, but what if my school doesn't verify them? What if that one class I took while in the military, at that crappy online school, 7 years ago, that was technically under a degree program, but never led to a degree, because I already had a degree before enlisting, and taking random online classes is just something you do in the military to get promotion points...what if that class gets scrutinized?

Ridiculous right? I really just need to hit the cancel button, and get some of my money back... anyone else feeling a little out of sorts?

Members don't see this ad.

You're being paranoid man. Get your money back before it's too late. Honestly, even if your acceptance was a mistake, I'm pretty sure they'd be obligated to honor it haha. But it wasn't.

Reactions: 1 users
Cancel that MCAT and relax. The hardest part of medical school, getting in, is over. Congrats!

Members don't see this ad :)
Any nontrads feel oddly anxious since being accepted? I hadn't expected to be accepted. I had been planning on reapplying. I had transcript request forms ready to go, LORs lined up, an additional MCAT scheduled for May, was in the middle of a Kaplan course. Now, I'm in. Wow.

I'm afraid to cancel my MCAT, on the absurd notion that my acceptance was a mistake, or will be rescinded. I submitted the background request forms, know I'm an upstanding citizen (even hold a security clearance), and am worried. About what, I have no idea.

I already requested all of my transcripts to be sent to my school. Yay! All of which were verified by AMCAS of course, but what if my school doesn't verify them? What if that one class I took while in the military, at that crappy online school, 7 years ago, that was technically under a degree program, but never led to a degree, because I already had a degree before enlisting, and taking random online classes is just something you do in the military to get promotion points...what if that class gets scrutinized?

Ridiculous right? I really just need to hit the cancel button, and get some of my money back... anyone else feeling a little out of sorts?

Just can cancel it. Stop acting liking you're actively failing when you've just moved one more step in the direction of success.

Reactions: 1 user
It's very common to be anxious with all new endeavors. Going to grad school had me nervous for weeks. Don't worry, because you'll be fine. In the mean time, stay busy!

Reactions: 2 users
I do not think it ever really goes away

Even now I keep waiting for someone to pull me aside and say "sorry you really were not supposed to be here"

Relax take a deep breath and enjoy the ride :)

I've got the same exact thing... It takes a lot of restraint for me to not email the school to make sure everything is OK with my matriculation etc. I feel crazy

But don't worry... This is probably the last time you will have to relax for a long time, so try to do it. Me... I'm never relaxed when I should be so I can definitely empathize. You are in. It's done. No need for anxiety. Don't forget to fill out your bracket next week and watch some basketball

Impostor syndrome you guys.. research it. I have been having anxiety about starting in August too. I have a lot of fleeting thoughts like "what if my car breaks down and leaves me unable to get to class" or "what if I go vasovagal a lot 3rd year" I went vasovagal a couple times before. I think ultimately though, the further along I go in this, the more confident Ill get. I'll be moving 7 hrs away from family. They aren't supportive anyway so it be good for me in some ways.

Sooo instead of starting in August, I'm starting July 1st. I'm really starting to feel it now.

Starting a pre-matriculation the beginning of June. Now that its so close, I'm not nervous. I suppose I had plenty of time to get used to the idea. Now, I'm just so relieved and excited to be starting!

Cancel that MCAT and relax. The hardest part of medical school, getting in, is over. Congrats!
(looking at your Resident status) Seriously? Or are you being sarcastic? :naughty:

getting more nervous now

What is stressing me out right now is not going to medical school, but moving 1,000 miles away and all that entails. Getting someone else to rent/buy my house, packing or getting rid of a decade worth of belongings, figuring out my financial situation for the next four years, figuring out an affordable way to get my stuff to my new place, finding that new place, quitting my job, saying goodbye to all my friends and family in the area, setting up house with my boyfriend, finding a new primary care physician/dentist/hairstylist, figuring out the lay of the land wherever I move.

Oddly I am not worried about connecting with my classmates who are 12-15 years younger than me, or my new life that will involve studying 12 hours a day. Perhaps I should be more concerned about that.

Reactions: 3 users
I was super happy and then completely nervous! I actually started having panic attacks a couple months after being accepted. It got so bad that I would get one every time I drove anywhere and I started thinking I would have to withdraw from med school because I was clearly going insane and/or dying. Oddly enough, it all stopped on the first day of orientation. No idea why, but I'm applying for residency in a couple months and I haven't had a panic attack since August '11. You'll get through it! Getting accepted is such a huge hurdle, I think sometimes after it happens we're all a little afraid we're going to wake up and find it's all a dream. Good luck and congrats!

(looking at your Resident status) Seriously? Or are you being sarcastic? :naughty:
As far as the actual chances of failure, getting in IS the hard part. Most applicants don't get in, whereas at every subsequent stage of this process, the majority do succeed. In that way, the hardest part is actually over once you are accepted, even though the work only increases from now on until training is done.