Acceptance Offer RESCINDED Due to Comments Made on SDN

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Cheechoo, the expectations for clever train references in your comments must be an awful lot of pressure to deal with while posting. Do you ever wish you could just post "train-free" on SDN?
I wish for that everyday. But I can't derail my posts because of the pressure. I can't choose my path or destination--the track has already been laid. People need me and I will not let them down. I will go into the tunnel of darkness and shine my light. I will carry them on my train of positivity because that's what they need. They need hope.

Hope is what I will continue to transport because........I am the Conductor.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Cheechoo, the expectations for clever train references in your comments must be an awful lot of pressure to deal with while posting. Do you ever wish you could just post "train-free" on SDN?

Quite the contrary, I'm sure SDN helps him blow off steam. :smuggrin::smuggrin::smuggrin:

I wish for that everyday. But I can't derail my posts because of the pressure. I can't choose my path or destination--the track has already been laid. People need me and I will not let them down. I will go into the tunnel of darkness and shine my light. I will carry them on my train of positivity because that's what they need. They need hope.

Hope is what I will continue to transport because........I am the Conductor.

You're one of my favorite posters on sdn, just thought you should know.

Members don't see this ad :)
Cheechootrain did u apply to UTSW? They have largest model train setup in the world there.

Cheechootrain did u apply to UTSW? They have largest model train setup in the world there.

Nope. I only applied to 10 schools. Big mistake. So I'm trying to improve my application and reapply next year. But I'll definitely look into that destination. Thanks for the heads up though.

Nope. I only applied to 10 schools. Big mistake. So I'm trying to improve my application and reapply next year. But I'll definitely look into that destination. Thanks for the heads up though.

Don't worry, you'll get back on track!

Don't worry, you'll get back on track!

Thanks!!

x96JH.png

Also, I apologize. I hope going off topic on this thread will not hinder my chances of getting into medical school.

Ahhh nahhh brahhh. Only 10 schools? Have you already heard back from all of them or still waiting?

Ahhh nahhh brahhh. Only 10 schools? Have you already heard back from all of them or still waiting?

I've heard from all of them. I only have two left, Davis and San Fran. It's been two months now from being complete. I learned my lesson and I'll do better next time. No worries, I'll be fine. I just got to keep chugging on :rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad :)
I've heard from all of them. I only have two left, Davis and San Fran. It's been two months now from being complete. I learned my lesson and I'll do better next time. No worries, I'll be fine. I just got to keep chugging on :rolleyes:

Hopefully you get good news man. If not then, I got just the song for you. Can you dig it?

[youtube]v78-ftcqpNw[/youtube]

Need to go back and systematically check all of my posts....

Sent from my iPad using SDN Mobile app.

Fivo, considering your signature revolves around Cole this thread just seemss like a jump for joy moment for you. Cole was never for AA and he voiced it out. Hell, we even have an SDN graph showing URMs having an advantage over others but when we call it out its called "racism."

Nobody deserves this unless what they said or did truly was heinous and it doesn't look like Cole said anything that big of a deal. How old is everyone here? Who gets offended these days by internet racism involving TV shows? Its pretty sad people get bent up over that and I can imagine they're the same people who write in their journals at night when someone gives them a wrong look.

I'm behind Cole and I think the whole affair is one elaborate prank by a disgruntled pro-AA individual. The bottom line is that he isn't a racist but that people believe him calling out AA is racist.

Even though Cole's case might very well be a prank and I hope it is there's papers out there showing that adcom and residency program directors use social network to judge applicants. Most importantly an Acceptance to medical schools is CONDITIONAL and can be taken away from individuals based on the schools discretion. If you say the wrong things or say enough wrong things to piss off an admission committee member then he might even print out your entire social network interactions and present it to others.

Medical schools are recruiting professionals that can maintain a code of conduct. It is very important for future premeds to understand that it is not worth taking the risk.

Let us not forget medical schools are recruiting the future of medicine and if the school deems you too unprofessional for their liking they won't have a problem giving your acceptance to at least the other 5999 applicants waiting in line. I really hope Cole gets a second chance this has got to be devastating.

Fivo, considering your signature revolves around Cole this thread just seemss like a jump for joy moment for you. Cole was never for AA and he voiced it out. Hell, we even have an SDN graph showing URMs having an advantage over others but when we call it out its called "racism."

Nobody deserves this unless what they said or did truly was heinous and it doesn't look like Cole said anything that big of a deal. How old is everyone here? Who gets offended these days by internet racism involving TV shows? Its pretty sad people get bent up over that and I can imagine they're the same people who write in their journals at night when someone gives them a wrong look.

I'm behind Cole and I think the whole affair is one elaborate prank by a disgruntled pro-AA individual. The bottom line is that he isn't a racist but that people believe him calling out AA is racist.

Hmm, not sure why you're getting all emotional about it. This is an awareness thread for those in pre-allo who never go over to the DO forum.. Do you understand the ramifications of the outcome of that thread if it does turn out to be real? That basically means a school can come into your house, disrespect your whole family, and rescind your acceptance because someone narc'd you out. It's BIG and my fellow pre-allo colleagues deserve to know about it!

We are all witness.

Hmm, not sure why you're getting all emotional about it. This is an awareness thread for those in pre-allo who never go over to the DO forum.. Do you understand the ramifications of the outcome of that thread if it does turn out to be real? That basically means swat can come into your house and disrespect your whole family because someone narc'd you out. It's BIG and my fellow pre-allo colleagues deserve to know about it!

We are all witness.

I agree with you unlike some previous posters I don't think you mean any ill will towards Cole you're simply trying to spread awareness.

Hmm, not sure why you're getting all emotional about it. This is an awareness thread for those in pre-allo who never go over to the DO forum.. Do you understand the ramifications of the outcome of that thread if it does turn out to be real? That basically means a school can come into your house, disrespect your whole family, and rescind your acceptance because someone narc'd you out. It's BIG and my fellow pre-allo colleagues deserve to know about it!

We are all witness.

After going through the thread I guess you were decently neutral. I was basing it off your sig for the most part so I apologize for that.

Anywho, it looks like its a fake for the most part but I like how many jumped on the anti Cole bandwagon. I've always seen him as helpful so I never understanding d the problem. If it is a fake, I'm sure the discussion about finding out the perpetrator will be a huge discussion.

Am I the only one who isn't terribly surprised here? It's pretty easy to figure out who I am in real life and that's intentional - I think you should stand behind what you say and even if you are "anonymous" people can find you out. Further, professionalism is actually important. Don't get me wrong, I think all the lectures med schools give are wasteful, but that doesn't mean the underlying idea isn't important. I dont know the full details of that guy/girl's situation is. I do know that we can't have people spouting off racist comments and practicing medicine (not saying that is what the OP on the other page did, just an example). The problem is that no amount of med school lecturing will make you professional or make you give patient centered care - its rare for people with the problems to change (call me a cynic). At my school, we had a couple student who did something really awful. When it happened, no one was that surprised by who it was. I think the best way to protect our field is thoroughly vet students. Id rather lose a little privacy but know that people graduating from my institution weren't gonna give us a bad name.

I find it incredible that a second thread exists.

I just wanted to say that the possibility of this being a hoax on cole is rather real. Many aspects of the letter are questionable, and by the letter's wording, there is no specific mention to a particular event or SDN. He's been on facebook groups, so this could be related to something else.

I think he disclosed his stats online and other personal information. Med schools tracked him down and punished him...

I sounds like this has more to do with Facebook than SDN, but from what I have heard it was an SDN Facebook group. Its much easier for adcoms to find info on fb, especially when you're in groups where people wouldn't have to friend you to see what you post

Sent from my DROID RAZR using SDN Mobile

This is the reason I don't have a facebook page. I just don't understand the national obsession with facebook. Why waste so must time 'updating your profile page' with all of your personal info which anyone could read?

I also don't understand why people post stupid pictures of themselves, or racist comments, on their pages. Don't they realize adcoms, or potential employers, would search for their page if they were thinking of accepting a candidate? Why would any adcom select a candidate whom they know has made bad choices in the past, when there are so many who haven't?

:eek:

For reals? I better think twice about what I post on here from now on then. I mean, there are zero attempts to hide my identity on here... :laugh:

Maybe I should change my name? :-O

Last edited:
This is why I always slightly misrepresent my information so butthurt losers who take the internet too seriously can't track me down.

In all seriousness, if you're willing to put out offensive and derogatory things on the internet, then you're giving a bad example of what person should be. I don't know what Dr. Seuss did but to have his acceptance rescinded should be an indicator that he has a lot of growing up to do.

I understand insulting someone over the internet (I do it all the time when I steam roll over kids on COD) but some restraint should be employed on professional forums.

Note: If Dr. Seuss is trolling us then shame on him!

The pre-medical subforums aren't pre-professional. They're more of a bragging medium for a group of try-hard buttsensitive college kids.

Yeah whatever Steve

Sent from my DROID RAZR using SDN Mobile

:ninja:

Would be pretty epic if you got into UCSF :)

AA in medicine is an interesting problem, because at the end of the day certain patient populations will want someone of their own race, and there may not be as many top-level applicants applying from that race in a given year. Especially the pretty rare ones, like Native Alaskans/Indians/Floridians.

But yeah, you have to post while keeping in mind that SDN is substantially less anonymous than reddit and the like. That being said, it looks fake.

Am I the only one who isn't terribly surprised here? It's pretty easy to figure out who I am in real life and that's intentional - I think you should stand behind what you say and even if you are "anonymous" people can find you out. Further, professionalism is actually important. Don't get me wrong, I think all the lectures med schools give are wasteful, but that doesn't mean the underlying idea isn't important. I dont know the full details of that guy/girl's situation is. I do know that we can't have people spouting off racist comments and practicing medicine (not saying that is what the OP on the other page did, just an example). The problem is that no amount of med school lecturing will make you professional or make you give patient centered care - its rare for people with the problems to change (call me a cynic). At my school, we had a couple student who did something really awful. When it happened, no one was that surprised by who it was. I think the best way to protect our field is thoroughly vet students. Id rather lose a little privacy but know that people graduating from my institution weren't gonna give us a bad name.

I think you should stand behind everything you say anonymously, but don't think every word you've ever spoken should be held against you. Some people on here have 20,000+ posts dating back 10 years - I wouldn't expect every word they've spoken in that timeframe to be held against them.

We're moving toward a society where not only privacy ceases to exist, but one in which nothing you say is forgotten, and you're never allowed to change or be a different person. That doesn't seem ok to me.

Deleting posts is pointless because Google unfortunately caches most of them.

So... uhhh... Definitely just sent in a request to change my username.......

:laugh:

Now if only I can get access to MDA again....

I thought about that. Other people online go by "bearstronaut" - I think there's actually a band called it. But I like this name, and I try not to be a dbag while posting online.

I thought about that. Other people online go by "bearstronaut" - I think there's actually a band called it. But I like this name, and I try not to be a dbag while posting online.

Definitely don't try to be a dbag either, but I found it weird when people at interviews could immediately call me out on my SDN handle when my real name was called out.

I think you should stand behind everything you say anonymously, but don't think every word you've ever spoken should be held against you. Some people on here have 20,000+ posts dating back 10 years - I wouldn't expect every word they've spoken in that timeframe to be held against them.

We're moving toward a society where not only privacy ceases to exist, but one in which nothing you say is forgotten, and you're never allowed to change or be a different person. That doesn't seem ok to me.

But we keep saying YES YES YES!! Facebook, Twitter, YouNameIt We grab every opportunity to validate ourselves and our lives to others with both hands, stupidly put ourselves out there for the worlds judgement and then rise up in indignation when they do just that... :confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.