Menu Icon Search
Close Search

About the ads

1. If you prefer the SDN Blue style, go to the bottom left of the page and select "SDN Blue"

Acceptance question

Discussion in 'Pre-Podiatry Students' started by futureDPM88, 04.30.12.

1. futureDPM88

futureDPM88

Pre-Podiatry

SDN Members don't see this ad. (About Ads)
    What do you guys think my chances getting accepted into podiatry medical school?

3.0 overall gpa
    3.6 non-science gpa
    26R MCAT(predicted)

-Peer Health Educator; C.P.E. certified, EROS team.
    -Podiatry shadowing: Shadowed a Physician and Podiatrist and Surgeon
    -Senior project: Human cadaver involving the dissection of bones/muscles attributed to human feet and ankles.
    -Research: Cardiovascular , muscular and exercise physiology research,(to be published)-almost 3 years of research.
    -Ambassador of the College of Science and Math at my university.
    -University Week of Welcome Orientation Leader
    -Involved in over 5 clubs including American Medical Student Association, and several other clubs.
    -Biology Major, Biotechnology minor.
    -Several Bio 400 credits(research).
  2. bmhsacosta

bmhsacosta

Podiatry Student
    What about sgpa?
    If you do as well as predicted on the mcat I'd say pretty high. Are you planning on applying this cycle? It is getting a tad late in the game, not too late to get acceptances to some places I'm sure, but I recently interviewed and was told there were very few spots left along with around 20 more interviewees. Goodluck with whatever you decide to do.
  3. subadoob

subadoob

Pre-Podiatry
    I'm feelin' it but it might not be a bad idea to apply next year. I'm not sure how much, if any, scholarships you'll be offered considering your low sGPA (just guessing since you didn't provide it; with a 3.6 non-sGPA and a 3.0 overall, there must be some Cs lurking around in your science section); I'm assuming most of the scholarship money has already been given out. If it were my choice, I'd wait until next year. But, if you already took a year off and you haven't done anything medicine-related in between schools then I'd apply now. I took a year off in between for the MCAT, shadowing and just to make sure I didn't drive myself crazy with schooling. I suggest waiting because I think you'd have a better chance at scholarships next year, you don't get much free time during podiatry school so you might want to get some traveling in, you can build up your savings (I'm Class of 2016 and I sure wish my accounts weren't empty) and you can re-take the MCAT if you don't get the score you want. I took the MCAT this past January and I think it's foolish to predict a score; from the ten practice tests to the real thing, I never was close to guessing my score correctly. If I felt I bombed it then I scored high, if I felt I did well then I scored low; truly an evil test...
  4. bobdolerson

bobdolerson

SDN 2+ Year Member
    I suppose there's something to consider regarding waiting till next year for a scholarship...

You will be one year behind.

You'll be a year older when you start school, a year older when you start residency, and a year older when you finally make "the big bucks".

There's also the issue of another year's worth of paying for undergrad, which would probably negate any additional scholarships you get next year.

Long story short, you may as well apply this year. If you get it, great! Even if you don't get a scholarship, you'll start your education faster, and you'll have a year extra practicing before retirement making better money than you will be now.

Give up a year now translates to giving up a year down the road when you'll be making six figures.

The other bob is right on regarding predicting your MCAT score. I thought I absolutely bombed both physical and bio sections, and wound up with a 31 overall (after making 27-28s on the practice tests). Your score isn't really at all dependent on how well you did on practice tests, and has everything to do with how /everyone/ who took the test did, so knowing the same information will give you a different score depending on which test you take, and who else took it and how they did.

A tip for when you take it: don't get bummed out when you don't know any of the organic chemistry stuff. I'm pretty sure about half of those questions were there just to make sure nobody got 100%, and I missed a /lot/, and still wound up with a better score there than in physical sciences, which I thought I destroyed.

// Share //

Style: SDN Universal