Acceptance Stats Class of 2020

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Podman16

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I was thinking of starting a thread where all of those who have been accepted for this upcoming year could post their stats. As a pre-pod this is something that I was always extremely interested in. I know that these stats can be found elsewhere on the web but these usually are from the previous year and don't contain any information for the next incoming class. I thought that this might be handy for other pre-pods to be able to get a feel for what it takes to get accepted to podiatry school and have all of this information in one thread that they can easily access. Plus it seems that a lot of people come here first before doing research anywhere else. I was thinking we could post something like this:
1. GPA
2. MCAT
3. ECs
4. Schools applied to
5. Acceptances

*We could add whatever else we decide to be useful information.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
1. cGPA 3.51 sGPA 3.56
2. MCAT: 497
3. ECs: Strong ECs with a lot of podiatry experience
4. Applied to: Midwestern, DMU, Kent, Scholl
5. Accepted to: Midwestern, DMU. Decided not to interview anywhere else.

1. cGPA & sGPA 3.93
2. MCAT: 495
3. Medical scribe in ER. Lots of shadowing both MD&DPM
4. Applied to Temple, DMU, Kent, Scholl
5. Accepted to Temple and DMU with scholarships. Cancelled other interviews

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
1. cGPA 3.47 & sGPA 3.37
2. MCAT: 504
3. 5 years work-related experience, college cross country & track, ~150 hours of DPM shadowing and ~90 hours of dental shadowing.
4. Applied to Temple, Kent, Scholl, DMU, Midwestern
5. Accepted to Midwestern (declined ) and Scholl. Cancelled other Interviews.

1. cGPA 3.7 & sGPA 3.5
2. MCAT: 21
3. Typical pre-med things. Things that stand out are 200 ER volunteer hours, club president 2 yrs, podiatry internship, research assistant, and lab technician for 4 years
4. Applied to NY, DMU, Kent, Scholl, Arizona, Temple. Interview invites from all. I went to all interviews except Arizona b/c it was my backup school
5. Accepted NY, DMU, Scholl, Kent... Rejected post interview at Temple

Last edited:
1. BCP: ~2.95 & cGPA: ~3.2
2. MCAT: 26 on old, 510 on new
3. A lot of time helping in an assisted living home and a hospital throughout HS in a med sci academy (300+ hours), research projects in college, DPM (3 of them)/MD shadowing, plus 5+ years at a summer job.
4. Applied to everywhere except Western, interview at every school aside from Barry.
5. Accepted at 3/4 interview so far (AZPOD, KSU, Temple) with two scholarships.

Reactions: 1 user
1. sGPA 3.4 & cGPA 3.51
2. MCAT 498
3. International medical missions, healthcare related work in many different fields (pharmacy, lab, research), Eagle Scout, pediatric research for MD/PhDs, various volunteer activities, and graduated UG in 3 years time with honors
4. Applied to DMU
5. Accepted to DMU with scholarship

1. sGPA 3.14, cGPA 3.34
2. MCAT 493
3. volunteered in hospitals, clinics, medical mission trip to Guatemala, shadowed 2 pods
4. Scholl, Kent, Temple, NYCPM, Samuel Merritt, Western, DMU
5. Accepted to Scholl, rejected at NYCPM, DMU, Temple, Western. Interview at Kent and Samuel merritt (both cancelled)

1. cGPA: 3.25, sGPA 2.96 (strong upward trend)
2. MCAT 489 (19 on old scale)
3. 750+ hrs volunteering in medical field, 6 months shadowing DPM, university honors, 2 semesters of independent research, and a medical mission trip to Russia (~70 hrs). Also, I had a solid personal statement and 3 top-notch LORs.
4. Applied to all nine.
5. Interview invites from Kent, Barry, and Scholl. Waitlisted pre-interview at Midwestern and post-interview at Barry. Accepted to Kent (top choice), so I cancelled interview invite at Scholl.

1. cGPA: 3.25, sGPA 2.96 (strong upward trend)
2. MCAT 489 (19 on old scale)
3. 750+ hrs volunteering in medical field, 6 months shadowing DPM, university honors, 2 semesters of independent research, and a medical mission trip to Russia (~70 hrs). Also, I had a solid personal statement and 3 top-notch LORs.
4. Applied to all nine.
5. Interview invites from Kent, Barry, and Scholl. Waitlisted pre-interview at Midwestern and post-interview at Barry. Accepted to Kent (top choice), so I cancelled interview invite at Scholl.

Can I ask when you interviewed at Kent? I am interviewing in January.

Can I ask when you interviewed at Kent? I am interviewing in January.

I interviewed at Kent on December 7th, and received an acceptance email 4 days later.

If you have any specific questions regarding the interview, just PM me :)

1. cGPA: 3.47, sGPA 3.21, Master's GPA 3.87
2. MCAT 19,
3. 500+ hours of volunteering and shadowing with MDs, DOs, and DPMs. Research experience in undergrad and MPH Degree, still continuing grad research.
4. Applied to DMU, Scholl, Kent, Barry, Midwestern, and NYCPM
5. Interview invites at DMU, Scholl, Barry. Waitlisted pre-interview at Midwestern. (NYCPM lost my application.......)
5. Acceptances at DMU and Scholl, canceled Barry interview, final choice DMU

What would be the new MCAT score equivalent of a 23/24 from the old MCAT? I took the old MCAT and I'm currently a pod student, but have no idea about the new scoring!!

Members don't see this ad :)
What would be the new MCAT score equivalent of a 23/24 from the old MCAT? I took the old MCAT and I'm currently a pod student, but have no idea about the new scoring!!
The new MCAT has the 50th percentile at around a 500, which was about a 25 on the old MCAT. But I think more score data needs to be gathered before it can be said for sure.

As justinxc stated, it is kind of hard to say. If you look at the percentile rankings from both versions they don't line up perfectly. If I were to give my opinion, somewhere in the ball park of a 497/498 would be a 24 on the old version.

1. cGPA 3.82 sGPA 3.8
2. MCAT: 18
3. ECs: Did a ton of volunteering and research during my undergrad. Also been working at the VA for 3-4 years doing cardiology and renal clinical trials.
4. Applied to: all 9 schools
5. Accepted to: Kent w/ scholarship, DMU w/ scholarship. Was offered interview at WesternU, and asked by the rest to retake my MCAT then I could have an interview according to those other schools.

1. cGPA 3.82 sGPA 3.8
2. MCAT: 18
3. ECs: Did a ton of volunteering and research during my undergrad. Also been working at the VA for 3-4 years doing cardiology and renal clinical trials.
4. Applied to: all 9 schools
5. Accepted to: Kent w/ scholarship, DMU w/ scholarship. Was offered interview at WesternU, and asked by the rest to retake my MCAT then I could have an interview according to those other schools.

Where will you be attending if you don't mind me asking?

Where will you be attending if you don't mind me asking?
Not a problem. I will be attending Kent. I just felt more comfortable there and the admission staff were so friendly and I could really tell they care for their students. My DMU interview was way more intimidating.

When did u interview at both?

Kent was October 19 (I was the only person to interview that day) and DMU was first week in November. Kent took less than a week and DMU took 2 weeks to give an acceptance letter. When you go for the interview they will tell you how long it will take to get a response.

1. 3.35 cum, 2.81 sGPA (with some shady calcs from AACPMAS- most of those were anchors from when I was 18 in nursing school and didn't care much).
2. MCAT- 21 (8 physical 7 verbal 6 bio, botched the 2 orgo passages.)
3. ECs- diverse. Former nursing student with lots of QUALITY clinical exposure, doing things a shadow wouldn't be able to. Full scholarship, All American 3 sport athlete, captain Jr/Sr year, 6 months research (ecology though), 3 years teaching experience after college- 2 years as a high school physics/bio teacher at a highly regarded prep school in the northeast, shadowed 2 pods for about 30 hours.
4. Schools applied to- Barry
5. Acceptances- Barry

1. 2.81 cGPA, 3.51 sGPA (My very low cGPA was localized to one year in which I registered for classes but never went. There's a story behind it, but anyway that was like 8 or 9 Fs in a row. I think the fact that it was very localized made it not look so bad to AdComs).
2. MCAT - 32 (509-511)
3. ECs - About 8 years of experience in Orthotics and Prosthetics (Orthopedic braces and artificial limbs) including lecturing at one International meeting and one State meeting.
4. Applied to all schools.
5. Interview Invitations - Temple, Western, Midwestern, Barry, Kent, School, CSPM.
Actual Interviews - Temple, Western, Midwestern (Cancelled the rest).
Acceptances - Temple with scholarship, Western with scholarship, Midwestern without scholarship. (So I was 3 for 3, accepted at every school I interviewed at.)

Last edited:
3.6 cgpa, sgpa.
3.95 graduate GPA
490 MCAT.

Applied to all 9 schools.
Invites: all but temple and scholl
Interviewed: CSPM, Kent, DMU
Accepted at all three with scholarships at Kent and DMU. Canceled rest of interviews.

PM me for questions.

3.6c GPA
3.4 sGPA
23 MCAT
EMT experience, ~250 hours clinical volunteering, ~300 hours research experience (no pubs), ~50 pod shadowing hours
Applied: NYCPM, Temple, AZ, DMU
Interview Invites: NYCPM, Temple, AZ, DMU
Accepted w/scholarship: NYCPM, Temple, DMU
(Cancelled AZ interview)

3.6 cgpa, sgpa.
3.95 graduate GPA
490 MCAT.

Applied to all 9 schools.
Invites: all but temple and scholl
Interviewed: CSPM, Kent, DMU
Accepted at all three with scholarships at Kent and DMU. Canceled rest of interviews.

PM me for questions.
You think I have a shot if I apply in August. I am majoring in Microbiology with a minor in health promotion. I will be graduation with a GPA close to 3.0. I am looking at 500 MCAT. I went on a medical mission trip and did 1000 hours at a pediatric clinic in a middle eastern country. I have done 50 hours of shadowing a podiatrist. I have almost 2000 hours of research. I also volunteered at a nursing home for 200 hours.

You think I have a shot if I apply in August. I am majoring in Microbiology with a minor in health promotion. I will be graduation with a GPA close to 3.0. I am looking at 500 MCAT. I went on a medical mission trip and did 1000 hours at a pediatric clinic in a middle eastern country. I have done 50 hours of shadowing a podiatrist. I have almost 2000 hours of research. I also volunteered at a nursing home for 200 hours.
Take a step back. Breathe in. Breathe out.

You seem super stressed about stats and if you will be able to get in. I assume this from your posts. Control what you can. Finish strong in undergrad and get as high as you can on your MCAT. Sit down and write a list of things you need to do from now until August.

If you do these things you will be as ready as you can be.

Last edited:
1. cGPA-3.6 sGPA-3.65
2. 22
3. Army/Air Force Medic 7 years, Pod shadowing, free clinic volunteer, drug discovery research
4. Applied-All. Invites from-All. Interviewed at NYCPM, DMU, and KSUCPM.
5. Accepted to NYCPM, DMU and KSUCPM.
Going to KSUCPM!

Last edited:
1. cGPA: 3.39 sGPA: 3.11
2. MCAT: 496
3. EC's: strong shadowing experience in various fields, work experience in clinical/OR environment, undergrad involvement
4. Applied to Scholl, NYCPM, Midwestern, Barry, Temple and Kent (never interviewed)
5. Accepted at Scholl, NYCPM, Barry and waitlisted Midwestern

Last edited:
cGPA 3.5
sGPA 3.2 or 3.3
mcat 495
accepted to Kent and Scholl
decline interview from Barry and Western
(my question for all of you guys, anyone ever get a little worried as to why standards are on the lower end for pod schools, and why such few people apply? Im not complaining because i know my mcat was weak...but approximately 1000 applicants for 600 seats sounds kind of weird...) Anyone have any ideas??

cGPA 3.5
sGPA 3.2 or 3.3
mcat 495
(my question for all of you guys, anyone ever get a little worried as to why standards are on the lower end for pod schools, and why such few people apply? Im not complaining because i know my mcat was weak...but approximately 1000 applicants for 600 seats sounds kind of weird...) Anyone have any ideas??

I think it is because most people find feet...well...not great to mess with.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

cGPA 3.5
sGPA 3.2 or 3.3
mcat 495

Also, standards are probably low because you have 2 types of people

1) Those 100% committed to Pod

2) Those whose stats were not good enough to get into an MD or DO and use pod as a fall-back since it allows you to do surgery.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

cGPA 3.5
sGPA 3.2 or 3.3
mcat 495
I think lack of marketing has so much to do with it. I had no idea podiatry was a seperate schooling until a year ago and I spent my entire education focused on pre-medicine and knowing eventually I wanted to do a surgical specialty. Most school counselors I believe are not even aware either and you can't really blame them considering there are only 9 programs. DOs have really exploded onto the scene as an equal but different way of becoming a physician within the last 10-15 years. They were relatively unknown for a long time as well. The public just sees you as a doctor. Most don't really know what the initials behind your name mean. If you're not getting 50k applicants a year like MD schools then you can't be as picky from an admissions standpoint.

Reactions: 4 users
cGPA 3.5
sGPA 3.2 or 3.3
mcat 495
As Podasaurus Rex said, I'm sure. Mostly marketing and public perception. The education seems to have moved forward in leaps and bounds but public perception is a bit slow on the uptake so you have a lot of people with the perception of what a podiatrist was 30 years ago, basic foot care (trimming nails and calluses) and maybeeee forefoot surgery, rather than what it is now with such a focus on foot and ankle and distal leg surgery. There are a lot of MDs and DOs who actually get through school and don't really have a much better understanding than the general public either, which doesn't help. Their schools should probably be doing a better job of interprofessional training though.

And yes, since our applicant pool is so small we have over a 60% matriculation rate, or at least for the 2013 stats that's where it was at. However, that's not completely ridiculous if you consider that the MD school matriculation rate is about 40%. Don't confuse their number of applications with their number of applicants, the average MD applicant submits 15 applications.

https://www.aamc.org/download/321442/data/factstablea1.pdf

Also, according to USA Today, the average college GPA in America in 2006 was 3.11. So, if you wanna compare the small podiatry applicant pool to the MD school applicant pool, then yes we're going to look bad. Yet, if you compare us to the general college educated population we are at least slightly above average and that's not taking into consideration the millions of people in the general public who never even attend college. If you think of it that way, combined with the fact that the podiatrists that the schools have put out are apparently competent to do the job (or at least as competent as MDs and DOs who perform comparable jobs), then the entrance stats shouldn't really be as negative a factor as you might first think.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...ge-grade-inflation-what-does-an-mean/3662003/

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Yea makes sense, good posts with solid info. Looking forward to going to pod school next year! And yea education wise it does seem to have made great leaps, im sure in the next decade or so it'll be much more recognized and more competitive. Lets just hope we chose the right time to start and become successful!

1. sGPA: 3.06 (still finishing prereqs, straight A's last quarter in bio/ochem/physics so there's been a strong upward trend), cGPA: 3.34
2. MCAT 499
3. 4 year college athlete, captain senior year, I coach youth sports, teach swim lessons to autistic kiddos, a little over 100 hours clinical experience between shadowing two podiatrists and volunteering in the ER
4. Applied to DMU, Midwestern, Scholl, Temple, and CSPM
5. Interview invites to all five. Attended interviews at DMU and Temple. Accepted to both. Trying to decide if I want to interview at any of the others.

I applied in January and took the January MCAT. I cancelled my Midwestern interview because they were only interviewing for waitlist spots when I got my invite. I also went to a pretty competitive undergrad institution which my interviewers at DMU brought up immediately/seemed to like, so that may have helped balance out my GPA.

Hope that helps all the future pod babies because these forums have been super helpful during my application process <3

Last edited:
1. 2.81 cGPA, 3.51 sGPA (My very low cGPA was localized to one year in which I registered for classes but never went. There's a story behind it, but anyway that was like 8 or 9 Fs in a row. I think the fact that it was very localized made it not look so bad to AdComs).
2. MCAT - 32 (509-511)
3. ECs - About 8 years of experience in Orthotics and Prosthetics (Orthopedic braces and artificial limbs) including lecturing at one International meeting and one State meeting.
4. Applied to all schools.
5. Interview Invitations - Temple, Western, Midwestern, Barry, Kent, School, CSPM.
Actual Interviews - Temple, Western, Midwestern (Cancelled the rest).
Acceptances - Temple with scholarship, Western with scholarship, Midwestern without scholarship. (So I was 3 for 3, accepted at every school I interviewed at.)

Can I ask which school you will be attending?

What made you choose Temple over Midwestern, if you don't mind me asking? Was there something that you liked specifically about Temple or was it more a geographical thing?
Midwestern has awesome academics, which Temple does not. Temple has an awesome onsite clinic, which Midwestern does not.

Arizona is very similar to Texas, which is where I am from, which was very appealing. But also, the overall cost that Midwestern had posted was somehow well over $300,000 while for Temple it was about $200,000. Midwestern took down that budget but should be posting an updated one within the next month.

Really, in the end, it came down to the fact that I know people in the New England area and I didn't really know anybody near any other schools. So basically I'll have family within a couple hours drive from the TUSPM campus.

There are a lot of factors that go into the decision of which school to accept. Make sure you look at them all before making a decision.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using SDN mobile

1. BCP: ~2.95 & cGPA: ~3.2
2. MCAT: 26 on old, 510 on new
3. A lot of time helping in an assisted living home and a hospital throughout HS in a med sci academy (300+ hours), research projects in college, DPM (3 of them)/MD shadowing, plus 5+ years at a summer job.
4. Applied to everywhere except Western, interview at every school aside from Barry.
5. Accepted at 3/4 interview so far (AZPOD, KSU, Temple) with two scholarships.

Great job from that 26 jump to a 510 on the new one. That's amazing.

1. CGPA 3.2, SGPA 2.8-2.9, postbacc GPA <2.7 (had to withdraw for personal reasons, never completed it)
2. MCAT 32 (11/11/10)
3. RA in college for 2 years, research in neuro lab for 1 year in college, volunteered at domestic violence shelter, taught inner city students science during college, shadowing, currently working as private tutor/college consultant
4. DMU, Temple, Western, NYCPM, Scholl
5. No interview DMU, interviewed at Temple, NYCPM, Western. Waitlisted Temple, accepted at Western and NYCPM. Committed to Western, turned down interview at Scholl.

1. CGPA 3.2, SGPA 2.8-2.9, postbacc GPA <2.7 (had to withdraw for personal reasons, never completed it)
2. MCAT 32 (11/11/10)
3. RA in college for 2 years, research in neuro lab for 1 year in college, volunteered at domestic violence shelter, taught inner city students science during college, shadowing, currently working as private tutor/college consultant
4. DMU, Temple, Western, NYCPM, Scholl
5. No interview DMU, interviewed at Temple, NYCPM, Western. Waitlisted Temple, accepted at Western and NYCPM. Committed to Western, turned down interview at Scholl.

Congrats on everything! I'm a current first year student at WesternU. Feel free to message me if you have any questions. I recommend the summer ISAC or SMSPP programs before starting your first year. Good luck :)

Just got accepted to

1. sGPA: 3.40 , cGPA: 3.50, nonsci GPA: 3.62
2. MCAT 504
3.assosciate scientist at Big pharma company, promoted during my time there and awarded a department award, shadowing experience both MD and DPM, started health care related club at college and worked as a research assistant all 4 years, won university science writing award. went to competitive top 10 school
4. Applied to all schools
5. Interview invites to all schools except for DMU, Accepted so far to Barry with scholarship,

I applied in February, was verified March 1st, and had my first interview Monday (with Barry). Hope this helps anyone who is planning to apply. The more I've gone through the process the more I love everything about Podiatry and hope that more students look into as a career option! Could not have gotten this far without the help with everyone at SDN!

Reactions: 4 users