Acceptance Stats Class of 2020

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just got accepted to

1. sGPA: 3.40 , cGPA: 3.50, nonsci GPA: 3.62
2. MCAT 504
3.assosciate scientist at Big pharma company, promoted during my time there and awarded a department award, shadowing experience both MD and DPM, started health care related club at college and worked as a research assistant all 4 years, won university science writing award. went to competitive top 10 school
4. Applied to all schools
5. Interview invites to all schools except for DMU, Accepted so far to Barry with scholarship,

I applied in February, was verified March 1st, and had my first interview Monday (with Barry). Hope this helps anyone who is planning to apply. The more I've gone through the process the more I love everything about Podiatry and hope that more students look into as a career option! Could not have gotten this far without the help with everyone at SDN!
Congrats!!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Received an acceptance yesterday. Just thought I'd share my story to motivate anyone else out there who was in my same situation.

1. Undergrad GPA: 2.5
Masters GPA: 3.4
Cumulative sGPA: 2.76 Cumulative nonsciGPA 2.71
2. MCAT: 503
3. Shadowed a cardiothoracic surgeon for 100 hours, ortho for 50 hours, pod for 50 hours, currently a medical scribe for a family practice physician, undergrad research, masters thesis, TA in grad school for a cat dissection lab, D1 swimming athlete in undergrad, traveled to Guatemala for a two week trip to volunteer in the health clinics during my grad program, and a few other loose ends here and there
4. Applied to all but Kent
5. Accepted to Temple w/ scholarship (where I will be attending), Interview invite at Western and NYCPM, denial from DMU and Barry, have not heard back from the other schools.

I had a terrible undergrad GPA. However my last two semesters were over 3.0 and I decided I wanted to do something in medicine, so I enrolled in a masters in biomedical sciences program. I did well in the program, studied hard for the MCAT, and here I am. If medicine is your passion, and you have some road bumps in your academic past, shape a plan and stick with it. You can overcome those mistakes. If anyone has any further questions about schooling in between undergrad and medical school, feel free to ask. See you guys in Philly.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Received an acceptance yesterday. Just thought I'd share my story to motivate anyone else out there who was in my same situation.

3. Shadowed a cardiothoracic surgeon for 100 hours, ortho for 50 hours, pod for 50 hours, currently a medical scribe for a family practice physician, undergrad research, masters thesis, TA in grad school for a cat dissection lab, D1 swimming athlete in undergrad, traveled to Guatemala for a two week trip to volunteer in the health clinics during my grad program, and a few other loose ends here and there
5. Accepted to Temple (where I will be attending), Interview invite at Western, denial from DMU, have not heard back from the other schools

I had a terrible undergrad GPA. However my last two semesters were over 3.0 and I decided I wanted to do something in medicine, so I enrolled in a masters in biomedical sciences program. I did well in the program, studied hard for the MCAT, and here I am. If medicine is your passion, and you have some road bumps in your academic past, shape a plan and stick with it. You can overcome those mistakes. If anyone has any further questions about schooling in between undergrad and medical school, feel free to ask. See you guys in Philly.

Congrats!

Not to be rude but how did you get into a masters program with a 2.5?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats!

Not to be rude but how did you get into a masters program with a 2.5?

No worries. I figured someone was bound to ask that at some point. It was a younger program at a university that was fairly close to where I went for undergrad, so they were familiar with my "unique" college experience (VMI). They liked my undergraduate research and that I was a bio major as well as an athlete, so they gave me a chance.

Great job from that 26 jump to a 510 on the new one. That's amazing.

Thank you! I was pretty disappointed with my 26 (based on what I was getting on 10s of practices) so that fueled me last summer.

1. 3.6cGPA, 3.4sGPA
2. 508
3. Strong leadership, lots of research, lots of related work experience, some shadowing of MDs and DPMs.
4. Applied to NYCPM, Temple, AZPod, DMU
5. Accepted at NYCPM, Temple, got interview invites everywhere, still debating if I should go for one last interview at DMU.

Reactions: 1 users
1. cGPA 3.15 sGPA 3.04
2. MCAT: 501
3. ECs: Lots of strong leadership and service (Student Coordinator and Vice President of Service Council, LDS Mission, 11-12 yr old teachers at church), 2 years of research with 2 different professors, shadowed anesthesiologist, pediatrician, and 2 DPM's, worked in hospital (non-clincial) and outpatient PT clinic (clinical, hands on with patients).
4. Applied to: AZPod, CSPM, Western, Scholl, and Barry
5. Interviewed at: AZPod, CSPM, and Western (Haven't sent LoR's yet and Scholl and Barry require those for interviews)
6. Accepted to: AZPod and CSPM. Have to get DPM letter in to get decision from Western. Haven't decided if I will go to Barry and Scholl interviews.

Probably heading to AZPod but still weighing some pros and cons.

Edit: Accepted to Western today. Guess I didn't need that letter in after all.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
1. cGPA 3.15 sGPA 3.04
2. MCAT: 501
3. ECs: Lots of strong leadership and service (Student Coordinator and Vice President of Service Council, LDS Mission, 11-12 yr old teachers at church), 2 years of research with 2 different professors, shadowed anesthesiologist, pediatrician, and 2 DPM's, worked in hospital (non-clincial) and outpatient PT clinic (clinical, hands on with patients).
4. Applied to: AZPod, CSPM, Western, Scholl, and Barry
5. Interviewed at: AZPod, CSPM, and Western (Haven't sent LoR's yet and Scholl and Barry require those for interviews)
6. Accepted to: AZPod and CSPM. Have to get DPM letter in to get decision from Western. Haven't decided if I will go to Barry and Scholl interviews.

Probably heading to AZPod but still weighing some pros and cons.
Just out of curiosity, when did you interview at AZPod? I thought they filled all the seats already this cycle and were only interviewing for the waitlist. Still debating interviewing there as I would like to do residency and practice in the Southwest.

Just out of curiosity, when did you interview at AZPod? I thought they filled all the seats already this cycle and were only interviewing for the waitlist. Still debating interviewing there as I would like to do residency and practice in the Southwest.

I interviewed the second week of February and was waitlisted. I was #5 but was accepted within about 2.5 weeks. If it's in your means to go I'd definitely interview. The campus and surrounding area is absolutely beautiful. There's a good chance you'll be waitlisted but from my experience there's a lot of movement and the waitlist isn't a rejection.

5. Accepted to Temple (where I will be attending), Interview invite at Western, denial from DMU, have not heard back from the other schools

Wow very inspirational indeed. When did you apply?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

1. Undergrad GPA: 3.91, Science GPA: 3.85
2. MCAT: 26
3. DPM/MD shadowing, research with an orthopedic physician, president of 2 different organizations, 3 honor societies
4. Applied to NYCPM, Temple, Scholl, and Barry.
5. Interviewed and accepted to all 4. Matriculating at Temple SOPM.

1. sGPA 3.29 cGPA 3.33
2. 492
3. An engineering major with one year industry experience and patent pending.
4. Applied to Temple, Barry, Kent, DMU, AZ Pod, and Scholl.
5. Interview invites to all but Temple; accepted to Kent two days after interview and cancelled following interviews.

Members don't see this ad :)
1. sGPA 3.29 cGPA 3.33
2. 492
3. An engineering major with one year industry experience and patent pending.
4. Applied to Temple, Barry, Kent, DMU, AZ Pod, and Scholl.
5. Interview invites to all but Temple; accepted to Kent two days after interview and cancelled following interviews.

Engineering to health field....dammm....very nice.

For those who interviewed at Barry, were to invited by phone or by email?

Finally got the last acceptance that I had my interview at, so I wanted to pitch in to the stats, hopefully they'll help ease some people's worries.

1. 3.14 cGPA, 3.25 sGPA; BAD undergrad (~2.70 GPA...probably a lot lower) due to several personal issues, did one year of remedial coursework at a CC with summer research and one year of ultrasound school which I completely rocked.

2. 507

3. Mainly involved in vascular ultrasound for ~2 years after ultrasound school...some volunteering, tutoring, and playing with local orchestra during undergrad

4. NYCPM, Temple, Kent

5. Accepted to NYCPM with scholarship and Temple with scholarship (top two choices). Had an invite at Kent, but declined

A final thought: if you've had a bad time in undergrad due to circumstances outside of your control, don't give up; show in some way that you can handle the coursework :)

Reactions: 6 users
Finally got the last acceptance that I had my interview at, so I wanted to pitch in to the stats, hopefully they'll help ease some people's worries.

1. 3.14 cGPA, 3.25 sGPA; BAD undergrad (~2.70 GPA...probably a lot lower) due to several personal issues, did one year of remedial coursework at a CC with summer research and one year of ultrasound school which I completely rocked.

2. 507

3. Mainly involved in vascular ultrasound for ~2 years after ultrasound school...some volunteering, tutoring, and playing with local orchestra during undergrad

4. NYCPM, Temple, Kent

5. Accepted to NYCPM with scholarship and Temple with scholarship (top two choices). Had an invite at Kent, but declined

A final thought: if you've had a bad time in undergrad due to circumstances outside of your control, don't give up; show in some way that you can handle the coursework :)

My man. Congratulations! Way to keep at it.

Congrats to everyone who either got accepted or got invites!

For the people that were accepted "with scholarship:" What does this mean, and what steps do you have to take, to get one?

Specifically, are scholarships based on financial need or merit? If financial, did you have to submit a FAFSA? Are they the same amount for all the accepted students who get one? And as for getting one, is there somewhere in the process where you have identify that you'd qualify for a scholarship?

Interested in applying this August; sorry if these questions don't make sense!

For the people that were accepted "with scholarship:" What does this mean, and what steps do you have to take, to get one?

Specifically, are scholarships based on financial need or merit? If financial, did you have to submit a FAFSA? Are they the same amount for all the accepted students who get one? And as for getting one, is there somewhere in the process where you have identify that you'd qualify for a scholarship?

scholarships are usually based on merit( i.e. Good gpa, good mcat score, etc). You can also look up some scholarships and apply if you qualify.

Since they are based on merit, the amount students get vary ( some get around $1000, others can get 5-10k. Also depends how much the school can hand out)

Fafsa is more of helping you pay the tuition and other fees. Unless you can pay it yourself, fafsa is pretty much required.

I didn't manage to get a scholarship, so my analysis is from other people's post/experience.

scholarships are usually based on merit( i.e. Good gpa, good mcat score, etc). You can also look up some scholarships and apply if you qualify.

Since they are based on merit, the amount students get vary ( some get around $1000, others can get 5-10k. Also depends how much the school can hand out)

Fafsa is more of helping you pay the tuition and other fees. Unless you can pay it yourself, fafsa is pretty much required.

I didn't manage to get a scholarship, so my analysis is from other people's post/experience.

I see. Thank you!

Every school is a little different when it comes to entrance scholarships. Although all schools that give out entrance scholarships are merit based, each school weighs it differently than others and how they are distributed are different. Some schools give out scholarships to nearly half or more their incoming accepted students but offer smaller scholarships while others give out to much fewer students, but give out much larger scholarships. Each school has different tiers of scholarships so each student will most likely get different ones. No further action is needed to qualify other than applying. Obviously applying earlier gives you the best chance in receiving one bc they come are first come first served.

Fafsa is for helping you pay for your tuition.

I was offered scholarships from multiple schools so PM me if you want more info in depth.

How much tuition do the scholarships cover?

* Sorry, I found the answer.

Guys how long did it take you to receive letters of recommendation from professors?

Depends on the deadline I gave them. I usually give them two months.

Well I asked for both of mine from 2 different professors in February. Sent an email last week of April to remind them kindly and they both replied that they will do them after grades are submitted first week of May. So far nothing yet:(

I mean as a long as they agreed to write it for me then I don't have to worry about anything right?

I mean as a long as they agreed to write it for me then I don't have to worry about anything right?

Eh, I wouldn't be too sure about that. One of my professors that was supposed to do an LoR stopped responding to my emails and then completely forgot. So I ended up getting one from another professor. Eventually, some time during the next semester, the first professor was teaching a lab that reminded him of me and he finally wrote one up and sent it to me.

Obviously you don't wanna keep bothering them, but don't just assume that they're gonna come through for you.

If you're not applying till next cycle you've still got time. I would follow up with them sometime in early June then.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using SDN mobile

Eh, I wouldn't be too sure about that. One of my professors that was supposed to do an LoR stopped responding to my emails and then completely forgot. So I ended up getting one from another professor. Eventually, some time during the next semester, the first professor was teaching a lab that reminded him of me and he finally wrote one up and sent it to me.

Obviously you don't wanna keep bothering them, but don't just assume that they're gonna come through for you.

If you're not applying till next cycle you've still got time. I would follow up with them sometime in early June then.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using SDN mobile[/
Thank you very much sir. I hope they come through.

Alright thank you sir.

Now, it also couldn't hurt to have more than enough LoRs. Maybe you should ask one or two more professors to write you some, just as a last resort in case the two that you really want LoRs from don't come through.

Now, it also couldn't hurt to have more than enough LoRs. Maybe you should ask one or two more professors to write you some, just as a last resort in case the two that you really want LoRs from don't come through.

I mean they are the only 2 I have somewhat formed relationship with.

Its amazing (embarrassing) that schools are still accepting 17 and 18 MCAT scores and 2.7 GPAs.

Its amazing (embarrassing) that schools are still accepting 17 and 18 MCAT scores and 2.7 GPAs.

Are these usually the larger schools trying to fill seats or is it across the board?

Anecdotally, I've seen much higher. Usually 500+ MCAT (around 28-29 on old one I believe) and 2.8-3.0 sGPA. Still not much compared to MD/DO.

Are the numbers above a misrepresentation of the majority who get in?

Are these usually the larger schools trying to fill seats or is it across the board?

Anecdotally, I've seen much higher. Usually 500+ MCAT (around 28-29 on old one I believe) and 2.8-3.0 sGPA. Still not much compared to MD/DO.

Are the numbers above a misrepresentation of the majority who get in?

Considering there are only about 5 above posts with an MCAT below a 20 (old scale) with most all being balanced by either a super high GPA or a master's program I'd say it's not so bad. I figured @bobtheweazel laying out the averages compared to previous years would make it obvious this year has some improvement over previous years.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Considering there are only about 5 above posts with an MCAT below a 20 (old scale) with most all being balanced by either a super high GPA or a master's program I'd say it's not so bad. I figured @bobtheweazel laying out the averages compared to previous years would make it obvious this year has some improvement over previous years.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Not to mention most of them have ridiculous E.C.'s.

I am in a bit of a conundrum in that I leave the U.S. this week but won't be back till September. I am applying next cycle first day from over seas and I want to ask if I specifically need to take any physical papers with me or is everything can be done electronically? I.e. LoR, transcripts transfers, MCAT.

I am in a bit of a conundrum in that I leave the U.S. this week but won't be back till September. I am applying next cycle first day from over seas and I want to ask if I specifically need to take any physical papers with me or is everything can be done electronically? I.e. LoR, transcripts transfers, MCAT.

Yes, it could all be done electronically.

The application is online. Paper copies of your LoRs need to be mailed to Interfolio if they haven't already, but that is for the letter writer to do. Then you can send them out electronically. Transcripts you should be able to request electronically and then it's your school's job to mail them out. MCAT score can also be sent electronically.

There is nothing physical for you to do, but you should make sure you have access to phone and internet in case something comes up and you need to contact AACPMAS or any of the admissions offices. Often times, little hiccups do occur (e.g., AACPMAS didn't receive MCAT score from AAMC for a good number of people last year requiring us to resend them. It's entirely up to you to follow up on these things).

Yes, it could all be done electronically.

The application is online. Paper copies of your LoRs need to be mailed to Interfolio if they haven't already, but that is for the letter writer to do. Then you can send them out electronically. Transcripts you should be able to request electronically and then it's your school's job to mail them out. MCAT score can also be sent electronically.

There is nothing physical for you to do, but you should make sure you have access to phone and internet in case something comes up and you need to contact AACPMAS or any of the admissions offices. Often times, little hiccups do occur (e.g., AACPMAS didn't receive MCAT score from AAMC for a good number of people last year requiring us to resend them. It's entirely up to you to follow up on these things).

Bravo Sir, thank you.

cGPA: 3.2
sGPA: 3.05
MCAT: 29 (10P, 10V, 9B)

Accepted at TUSPM and KSUCPM with scholarships. Waitlisted at DMU (though interviewed late so that may be why). Attending KSUCPM this coming fall.

Last edited:
1. CGPA 3.2, SGPA 2.8-2.9, postbacc GPA <2.7 (had to withdraw for personal reasons, never completed it)
2. MCAT 32 (11/11/10)
3. RA in college for 2 years, research in neuro lab for 1 year in college, volunteered at domestic violence shelter, taught inner city students science during college, shadowing, currently working as private tutor/college consultant
4. DMU, Temple, Western, NYCPM, Scholl
5. No interview DMU, interviewed at Temple, NYCPM, Western. Waitlisted Temple, accepted at Western and NYCPM. Committed to Western, turned down interview at Scholl.
R u still waiting for temple because I will be withdrawing my acceptances Monday. The Navy didn't pick me up for my scholarship

1. cGPA 3.06 sGPA 3.13
2. 498
3. EC: great ecs-military surgical research, 8 yrs health care experience to include PT, Donor Tissue harvesting, clinical and diagnostic testing)
4. Applied/interviewed: TUPSM only 3/18
5. Accepted: TUSPM with scholarship. 3/21

5. Accepted to Temple w/ scholarship (where I will be attending), Interview invite at Western and NYCPM, denial from DMU and Barry, have not heard back from the other schools.

Hey roomie from VA by way of NC

Should i still pursue podiatry if the highest my cgpa could get is 3.4, and my sgpa 3.7.Id be applying in 2019-2020 possibly.

Should i still pursue podiatry if the highest my cgpa could get is 3.4, and my sgpa 3.7.Id be applying in 2019-2020 possibly.
If podiatry is what you want to do then Hell Yeah apply. My cGPA was a 3.1 and my sGPA was a 3.27 with a MCAT of a 498

Reactions: 3 users