Acceptance to Preceptorship Program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BigSmiles

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello Everyone, I just found out that I got accepted to a one year preceptorship program at UCLA and I am confused about some things so hoping for some answers/advice from the more experienced International graduates/Advanced Standing students.

My sole purpose in joining the preceptorship program is go have something 'extraordinary' put on my resume( I am solely interested in California Schools for personal reasons). so here it goes:

1- Is it really worth it to spend close to $40,000 attending this program (that is cost of tuition + appx living + travel) to get acceptance to a IDP program? Will it be looked upon fore favorable than say...a DA job at a dental office?

2- Is there financial aid available if/when I attend this program?

3- I understand that one big advantage would be that I can get a letter of recommendation from someone. However, program doesnt start until june end and I highly doubt that ANYONE will be willing to give me a recommendation letter so early.

Basically, I want to pretty much weight the Pro's and Cons....and the bottom line question I guess would be is $40,000 really worth it?

I also undersatnd that nobody here can give me a 'gaurantee' of whether I will get admission. I am just seeking advice from the more experienced.

Thanks!:thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

214 views and NO RESPONSE?????? c'mon people!

Hello Everyone, I just found out that I got accepted to a one year preceptorship program at UCLA and I am confused about some things so hoping for some answers/advice from the more experienced International graduates/Advanced Standing students.

My sole purpose in joining the preceptorship program is go have something 'extraordinary' put on my resume( I am solely interested in California Schools for personal reasons). so here it goes:

1- Is it really worth it to spend close to $40,000 attending this program (that is cost of tuition + appx living + travel) to get acceptance to a IDP program? Will it be looked upon fore favorable than say...a DA job at a dental office?

3- I understand that one big advantage would be that I can get a letter of recommendation from someone. However, program doesnt start until june end and I highly doubt that ANYONE will be willing to give me a recommendation letter so early.

Basically, I want to pretty much weight the Pro's and Cons....and the bottom line question I guess would be is $40,000 really worth it?

I also undersatnd that nobody here can give me a 'gaurantee' of whether I will get admission. I am just seeking advice from the more experienced.

what is preceptorship ?

Members don't see this ad :)
preceptorship is a program where you can observe/study but cant treat a patient. Many schools have it for various times. Check the school near you.

Anybody have any advice at all?

preceptorship is a program where you can observe/study but cant treat a patient. Many schools have it for various times. Check the school near you.

Anybody have any advice at all?
I don't think it helps you

only obsrving and doing nothing is waste of time and money

by observing we can't learn any thing

it's better to DA job at some dentist office you can learn something and also getting paid

and meanwhile whenever you free you can observe that dentist doing treatment

It is too much money for nothing If you want CA school you have to do very good in the bench exam you can take Duggan course or even UCLA course that is only for that purpose just prepare you to bench exam buy compressor at home and practice with the course you will end up paying $3000 course coast +$3000 materials and instruments and that is all...improve your scores if it is not that good and all the best for you

i also agree that u r throwing $40000 for just observing.
if u r targetting ucla, then it is good idea as u get good recommendations. ucla stresses much on r. letters, resume and SOP. but if your programm starts in june then it is hard to get rec.lett. for 2009 ppid application cycle.

as someone said, duggans/stevenson's classes r good for bench test but your applicaiton shud be up to the mark to get an interview at least.

please put your tats so that we can better suggest u whether to go for this preceptorship or improve yr resume in other ways.

my 2 cents advice would be that if u work as a da u will get to observe the dentist while helping him chairside.and get paid for ur time.y wud u pay so much money to observe only.

my 2 cents advice would be that if u work as a da u will get to observe the dentist while helping him chairside.and get paid for ur time.y wud u pay so much money to observe only.
i agree..however a preceptor ship gives u a higher chance of getting accepted into an MS program.so after MS u can pass WREB and practice in CA. as for DDS, preceptorship means nothing and wudnt add to ur resume any more then asisting.
but if u do the pre-c u will definately get into MS in the same subject of ur pre-c.hope this helps.

I have talked to some people at UCLA who are preceptors and they have said that it is worth it as preceptors get to assist residents, attend seminars etc....but I am still so confused...

I have talked to some people at UCLA who are preceptors and they have said that it is worth it as preceptors get to assist residents, attend seminars etc....but I am still so confused...

As a DA ,we can get some money,why do you want to pay and just observe.

Anyone joining the UCLA peceptorship program this fall 2013?

Hello everyone!
I would like to know whether one can do preceptorship 3 month programme on visitor visa?
I appreciate your help!