Acceptances with Pre and Post Dec. Interviews 2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doc toothache

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Those who have not received acceptances as of Dec 1 will continue to wonder what their chances are for acceptances if the interviews are scheduled after the magic date. The information was obtained from www.predents.com and it shows acceptances as a function of month of interview. The majority (76%) of those accepted in 2009 had interviews before Dec. 1; the results are not much different from those seen in 2008. While 24% of the acceptances resulted from post Dec 1, 71% of these interviews were in the months of Dec and Jan. Including February, the percentage jumps to 95%. It should be clear, that the clock is ticking and that the chances start to decrease dramatically. Though not included in this analysis, the ratio of interview/acceptance is quite different for the pre and post December interviews. It should be noted that even ds with application deadline in February have pretty much completed their class with pre December interviews with the exception of Tufts, Mercy and Boston. Extrapolating for the remaining population of enrollees is risky since the predents population is neither a random sample nor a representative sample of the ds enrollee pool. Moreover, little can be gained for some ds where the response is minimal such as UMKC, GA, WVA, Miss, Meharry and NE.

http://www.adea.org/dental_education_pathways/aadsas/Documents/AppDeadline.pdf
www.predents.com

Respondents represent the applicants that were accepted and provided interview information on predents.com. Enrollees/Respondents Accepted column represents the class size/number of predents.com responders. A special thanks to PDizzle for making changes to include the interview date along with acceptance date.

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• aceptances pre post dec interview-acceptances.xls
    42.5 KB · Views: 4,140
Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Thanks for all your hard work doctoothache!

Unfortunately, I don't think predents.com is a very good indicator of percentage of accepted students who had pre-december interviews.
It is a good way to get a rough estimate, but should not be taken literally. It really only gives ballpark figures.

The people on this site tend to be on the stronger side of the applicant pool, and thus would be more likely to obtain a pre-December interview and an acceptance soon thereafter.

It really depends on the school. Some schools have 90% of their class filled by February. Some only have 50-60%.

It really depends on the school. Some schools have 90% of their class filled by February. Some only have 50-60%.

You must have incredible access to ds deans to come up with such authoritative statements. The information, however reliable or unreliable it may be, has little to do with the effect of pre and post December interview on the admission chances.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
These statistics were not meant to be taken literally or with any authority, just as predents.com's statistics should be taken with a grain of salt.

Predents is an excellent source to get a ballpark idea of what each school is looking for, but it is too dependent upon the posters being honest and timely.

Half of the people that sign up on that site seem to never update it again. If you use this as your only source of information, you are going to be drastically misled. If I had to venture a guess, predents may represent 15-20% of the applicant pool. I would also venture to say that only 5% of the profiles on there are kept up to date correctly. Again, I'm just guessing, but I'd be surprised to find out otherwise.

Please don't take what I said as a personal attack. That was definitely not my intention. I still do believe that it is very school dependent though.

These statistics were not meant to be taken literally or with any authority, just as predents.com's statistics should be taken with a grain of salt.
Predents is an excellent source to get a ballpark idea of what each school is looking for, but it is too dependent upon the posters being honest and timely.
Half of the people that sign up on that site seem to never update it again. If you use this as your only source of information, you are going to be drastically misled. If I had to venture a guess, predents may represent 15-20% of the applicant pool. I would also venture to say that only 5% of the profiles on there are kept up to date correctly. Again, I'm just guessing, but I'd be surprised to find out otherwise.

Whatever questions you may have regarding the "timeliness" and updating data on predents.com you will have to address them to PDizzle. Out of 1532 respondents, 82 did not have information on the interview date and were not used in this analysis. There is not much in life that shouldn't be taken with a grain of salt. As for honesty, it certainly has not stopped the ADA from publishing the 2008 Examinee Information which contains the self reported demographic data from 11359 respondents in 2004 to 14139 in 2008.

75% percent of spots are filled by December 1st? !!!!! Many schools have almost already filled their pre-Dec interviews, and I havent got any !!!

(Hyperventilating) :(

75% percent of spots are filled by December 1st? !!!!! Many schools have almost already filled their pre-Dec interviews, and I havent got any !!!(Hyperventilating) :(

You can start hyperventilating once all of the pre Dec interviews have been given out.

lol.... okay....

I know this is an old thread, but it would be helpful to give it a BUMP for 2012 cycle SDNers freaking out while we await for the dreaded Dec1 date.

The main reason I'm writing is...
Though not included in this analysis, the ratio of interview/acceptance is quite different for the pre and post December interviews.

Does anyone know what that ratio is for Pre/Post?

Unless, it's buried in the Excel (Thanks Doc Toothache for your hard work and great info) and I'm just too foolish to find it :D

I know this is an old thread, but it would be helpful to give it a BUMP for 2012 cycle SDNers freaking out while we await for the dreaded Dec1 date.

The main reason I'm writing is...

Does anyone know what that ratio is for Pre/Post?

Unless, it's buried in the Excel (Thanks Doc Toothache for your hard work and great info) and I'm just too foolish to find it :D

So you went through the work to find an old thread so someone else can go through the work to read it for you? It just doesn't make sense!

So you went through the work to find an old thread so someone else can go through the work to read it for you? It just doesn't make sense!

Unless, it's buried in the Excel (Thanks Doc Toothache for your hard work and great info) and I'm just too foolish to find it

I have looked through it. I couldn't find any statistics regarding the # of seats given out with the # of total seats. Then again, I'm no excel-pro so I was asking if I missed anything that someone else caught.

I have a very quick question guys. Regarding the excel spreadsheet regarding interviews pre and post December, I don't really understand how many were accepted into each school post-December. I'm specifically interested in UMDNJ. I see that 25 people responded of which 6 were post December interviews. I don't know how to find out how many of those people were accepted. Thank you in advance!

I have a very quick question guys. Regarding the excel spreadsheet regarding interviews pre and post December, I don't really understand how many were accepted into each school post-December. I'm specifically interested in UMDNJ. I see that 25 people responded of which 6 were post December interviews. I don't know how to find out how many of those people were accepted. Thank you in advance!

The numbers represent those that were accepted with pre/post December interviews.

Okay, thank you so much! So based on the respondents, 25% of acceptances were made after December. I hope this number is a good representation. Thanks again.

Okay, thank you so much! So based on the respondents, 25% of acceptances were made after December. I hope this number is a good representation. Thanks again.
Don't forget that the 25% includes those that were waitlisted and post december interviews

Don't forget that the 25% includes those that were waitlisted and post december interviews

It is not clear how receiving an acceptance on July 1 instead of Dec 1 changes the pre Dec interview to a post Dec interview.