Accepted into a summer program and don't know how to turn down the other one

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lina19

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Long story short. I applied to alot of summer programs because I did not think that I would get in to most of them due to concerns about my gpa and such. I got a couple of acceptances at first but then I did not hear back from any others ones until after a few weeks and by then I had accepted a summer program because the programs that I applied to were REUs and super competitive. The program that I had accepted was my second choice among them and it only had research component. My first choice has a research component, clinical component, and mcat prep. I got accepted into my first choice today and I want to go but I don't know how to turn down my second choice without raising any questions. I'm not a McNair scholar so they had to find a way to fund me. Here is what I wrote so far:

I regret to inform you that I will no longer be able to participate in the -------------------------------. I understand that I accepted the program, and at the time, I was able to fully able to commit to this program. However, due to unforseen circumstances, I do not believe that I will be able to fully commit to this program. I have tried everything that I possibly can to remain apart of this program and thought out all my options as I do not take acceptance into this program lightly, but there is no possible way to do this program. I would like to take this time to say thank you for this opportunity and that I am sorry that I can no longer participate as you nor I did not see this coming. I hope that it is not too late to give this opportunity to another student who is deserving of this internship.

Members don't see this ad.

It's not you, it's me…

No really, OP you handled it pretty well. Probably should have figured it out earlier, but understandably if your first choice just got back to you, you really didn't have a chance to do so.

Members don't see this ad :)
What do you mean?
Not sure which part is unclear. You seemed to handle it fairly well. There really doesn't need to be anymore to the email than that. You stated your reasoning, you apologized, and you hoped that it wasn't too late for another applicant. I don't see the issue.

Is there another way to make the unforseen circumstances sound better?