Accepted into med school: Make C's in the rest of undergrad?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GonefromTX

Resident
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys I am not saying that I'm going to do this, but once you've been accepted to medical school you can get C's for the rest of your undergrad career and they can't take your acceptance away right?

Members don't see this ad.

That is what everyone told me. At least for me, I didn't want to take the chance.

This should have been posted in pre-allo.

Acceptance letters usually have stipulations, with one of them being about grades. Each school will be explicit about what they require e.g. maintain current GPA or no grades below C or no Fs etc.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys I am not saying that I'm going to do this, but once you've been accepted to medical school you can get C's for the rest of your undergrad career and they can't take your acceptance away right?

Just wondering. . .what would be the point of that? Always do your best. You and our patients can never lose if you strive hard to do your best.

Just wondering. . .what would be the point of that? Always do your best. You and our patients can never lose if you strive hard to do your best.
What OP does in undergrad will have ZERO effect on future patients.

Reactions: 3 users
C is frankly too high, aim for D-. Dead serious.

Yeah, pretty much.

I've never heard of med schools requiring certain grades after acceptance or even requiring that you don't get any F's.
The only requirement is that you graduate and can show a bachelor's degree before matriculation.

But it would be really stupid to "push the envelope". God forbid you don't graduate on time and have to reapply with your now shi**y GPA. :eek:

Reactions: 1 user
Its funny you guys mention this. I actually know of someone who kind of screwed up his life like this. He got accepted into medical school same time as me. What happened was he got accepted then went on a 3 month binge crazy of drinking cuz he was celebrating. He messed up his last semester and didn't finish on time. He then couldn't get into medical school the following year either. His parents were really upset with him and pretty much put him in time out for a long time, no money, didn't like he was staying at the house. His girlfriend dumped him, that was probably the best thing for him anyway. He was living in shelters and getting food from shelters as well, i think for a couple years. Fast-forward 5 and a half years. He now does re-inactments of the harry potter movies at kids birthdays, and if you pay him extra he can play the guitar and sing a little. So i would probably not mess up my last semester in undergrad.

Reactions: 2 users
Its funny you guys mention this. I actually know of someone who kind of screwed up his life like this. He got accepted into medical school same time as me. What happened was he got accepted then went on a 3 month binge crazy of drinking cuz he was celebrating. He messed up his last semester and didn't finish on time. He then couldn't get into medical school the following year either. His parents were really upset with him and pretty much put him in time out for a long time, no money, didn't like he was staying at the house. His girlfriend dumped him, that was probably the best thing for him anyway. He was living in shelters and getting food from shelters as well, i think for a couple years. Fast-forward 5 and a half years. He now does re-inactments of the harry potter movies at kids birthdays, and if you pay him extra he can play the guitar and sing a little. So i would probably not mess up my last semester in undergrad.

I believed you in the beginning but it got kind of weird at the end. Why didn't he just redo 1 semester of classes, use DO-grade replacement and apply osteopathic?

That's terrible. :|

That's terrible. :|

It's not so bad, not very many people can perform chamber of secrets as well as his troop can. Parents pay top dollar for their children's happiness.

Reactions: 3 users

giphy.gif

Reactions: 4 users
I've never heard of med schools requiring certain grades after acceptance or even requiring that you don't get any F's. The only requirement is that you graduate and can show a bachelor's degree before matriculation.
From an acceptance letter:

"[...]We hope that you accept our offer of admission by complying with the following conditions: [...]Maintain the level of your grade point average, and complete all specific pre-med requirements and courses[...]"

From an acceptance letter:

"[...]We hope that you accept our offer of admission by complying with the following conditions: [...]Maintain the level of your grade point average, and complete all specific pre-med requirements and courses[...]"

That seems pretty strict, especially for people with high GPA (not me, alas). I wonder if the same applies to people who graduated already and are doing a post-bacc. I guess you'd need to take an additional easy class to "balance out" a hard class you might not do well in?

Reactions: 1 user
If your senior year involves stuff you'll see in medical school (micro, immuno, biochem, anatomy, physiology etc) you may benefit from taking those classes seriously.

That seems pretty strict, especially for people with high GPA (not me, alas). I wonder if the same applies to people who graduated already and are doing a post-bacc. I guess you'd need to take an additional easy class to "balance out" a hard class you might not do well in?
My guess is that they don't regularly enforce this. I would guess that they only have it in there so that if someone noticeably slacks off after getting accepted, the school can rescind the acceptance and say "shoulda read the fine print."

Reactions: 1 users
You've been doing well this far, it might be a good idea to keep the trend. Habits get started and then... it's all downhill.

Not to mention, learn since you're paying anyways