Accepted MD and now having second thoughts

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

R6WR

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I posted this over in the pre-med forum, but thought I should get some input from more public health oriented people.

I was accepted into med school and now I'm starting to have some second thoughts. I'm a nontraditional student. I have my MPH and really enjoy public health. Originally I thought about a PhD in epi, but decided on applying to med school based on the job opportunities. If I went PhD, I thought I would work in academia, and sometimes job opportunities can be limited.

Since I've been accepted, I've started really questioning if this is the right career path for me. I love public health and research, and have always thought with my MD I would work in academic medicine. As I'm starting to look at the realities of med school/residency, I'm thinking it's not the best path for me. My dad and brother are physicians, so I have an idea of what med school and physician work/life is. I'm still going to be limited in opportunities trying to find a position in academic medicine doing some public health/epi research, and I know I wouldn't be happy working as a full-time clinician. I'm starting to think maybe working using my MPH for a couple years and then going PhD would be the better option.

I've thought of MD/PhD, but I'm in my early 30's and adding at least 3 more years onto schooling is a little daunting. I've had my MPH for a couple years and have worked part-time at a health department and have taught undergrad epi and biostats courses, while I was finishing up some med school prereqs.

Any thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

If you've been accepted, go to medical school. Don't ever look back. Considering what you have stated, with an acceptance, any other decision would be simply unwise.