Accepted NHSC Scholarship but Now Planning to Quit Dental School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Neutrino123

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone, Its been almost 4 semesters, and I am performing really bad academically. I am already through two academic probations and believe that a single bad grade within next two semesters will get me dismissed from the school. The worst part is that I am on NHSC scholarship and if I dont pay them within three years of any kind of mess up, I have to pay 3 times more the amount borrowed along with the interests.

Honestly, I thought I would be a good fit in the dental school but obviously my academic track record is speaking for itself. Even though I am great in practicals but theory always kills me.

I am seriously thinking about quiting dental school. Write now I owe NHSC about 150K which is only going to go up from here on. If I quit right now, then I have to pay back NHSC within three years and if I dont then its going to be [(150K x 3) + interest] <-- Devils Deal Any job I find will not be enough to pay even 150K in three years.

Do you guys know someone who was able to successfully able to pay back or got his debt with NHSC written off?

Just need a supportive discussion about my situation.

Members don't see this ad.

if I dont pay them within three years of any kind of mess up, I have to pay 3 times more the amount borrowed along with the interests.

Jeez. THREE times the borrowed amount plus interest? That hardly seems fair.

Ask what the policy is regarding taking a year off (leave of absence) at your school and with the NHSC people. During that year off, study up.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with Bernie. Take some time away and breathe. I don't think throwing in the towel is what you *really* want to do, more of a reaction for what you're currently going through. Take time away, repeat a year, get counselling, do whatever you have to do to regain your momentum and your confidence. Good luck!

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Thanks everyone, it means a lot that everyone took time to respond. I am definitely going to look into getting an year off. Its been really stressful recently and especially the fact that NHSC scholarship isnt helping but adding more stress of quiting or getting dismissed.

idk...sometimes it helps me to remember why I got into the field in the first place. When I remember why I fell in love with dentistry in the first place, it usually gives me motivation to keep doing well. I wouldn't quit if I were you. Maybe take some time off to replenish yourself and give you time to fall in love with dentistry all over again.

I'm an NHSC scholar about to graduate. I hate to hear how dental school has gone for you. I would certainly contact the NHSC and make sure you have all the facts regarding your scenarios: 1) Fail out 2) Drop out 3) Remediate 4) Leave of absence and what your financial commitment would be.

I would suggest a leave of absence potentially and find a tutor for your didactic struggles. They CAN be corrected!

if its been almost 4 semesters(meaning you're about to be a D3), isn't most of the theory stuff over?

DUDE--This is a defining moment in your life. It could very well shape what the rest of your life looks like. DONT GIVE UP. If you can focus, step up, and make a strict schedule each day doing EVERYTHING you can, I am sure you can pass all of your classes. Dental school is a lot of hard work, and takes a massive amount of time and organization but its all very passable. Plan out each hour of each day and stick to your schedule and you will be amazed at how much you can get done. I had many all nighters in dental school and felt overwhelemed, but once you get through the first couple years its much easier. When you u look at the rest of your life, this is a very small period but there is no time that is more important.
You have an INCREDIBLE opportunity with that scholarship, and many dental students would like to be in your position. You have a paved road to financial success and a fulfililng career--with ZERO debt and getting paid throughout dental school--this is an enormous advantage. STEP UP AND GET IT DONE!

Reactions: 3 users
DON'T GIVE UP!!!

It'll only get easier from now on cause it's mostly hands on fun from here on. I was razor close to being dismissed from dental school my first year, too. Like you, I excelled at hands on practical so 2nd, 3rd, 4th year and boards got progressively easier.

If you stop now, being half a million $$$ in debt with no degree is gonna destroy the rest of your life. You cannot pay back that debt and you cannot wipe it from bankrupcy. That scholarship gave you huge financial advantage ahead of everyone else cause you have no debt while getting a diploma to print money. Suffer a little more now so can retire early in wealth. Give up now and you toil away in misery for the rest of your life!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
I agree with all who are pushing you to stay.

Remember, you are half way through, which was the hard part for most students and myself when I was in school. You will have more free time to breathe from 3rd year.

I struggled through the first 2 years in school, partly because I was a non-traditional student, who took 4 years off between undergrad and dental school. I picked up my fair share of low grades as a result, and was very stressed about the whole dental school thing during those years. But it turned out really well for me after dental school, and realized that my long break before dental school was a huge asset and experience that prepared me for the real world.

As far as the numbers, the NHSC thing will blow up on your face if you give up now. The financial consequences will be long term, and you will mostly likely regret that you didn't finish school for those last 4 semesters. So ultimately, those 4 semesters will decide between going to the right financial path, or facing a series financial headaches that will haunt you for several years to come.

The choice is simple and yours.

Reactions: 2 users
Thanks a lot guys for your support. I feel so encouraged and motivated now. I have discussed my situation with my friends and seniors of my school and they all said the same thing that theory part is almost done and now its just the hands-on part. I have a meeting with academic review committee soon and they will let me know their decision about my situation. I hope they don't dismiss me on academic grounds and let me take my board exams and continue without repeats. I will come back here and repost their decision and humbly ask for your suggestions. So stay tuned! Thanks a lot everyone.

Reactions: 1 user
Hello everyone, Its been almost 4 semesters, and I am performing really bad academically. I am already through two academic probations and believe that a single bad grade within next two semesters will get me dismissed from the school. The worst part is that I am on NHSC scholarship and if I dont pay them within three years of any kind of mess up, I have to pay 3 times more the amount borrowed along with the interests.

Honestly, I thought I would be a good fit in the dental school but obviously my academic track record is speaking for itself. Even though I am great in practicals but theory always kills me.

I am seriously thinking about quiting dental school. Write now I owe NHSC about 150K which is only going to go up from here on. If I quit right now, then I have to pay back NHSC within three years and if I dont then its going to be [(150K x 3) + interest] <-- Devils Deal Any job I find will not be enough to pay even 150K in three years.

Do you guys know someone who was able to successfully able to pay back or got his debt with NHSC written off?

Just need a supportive discussion about my situation.
I have a similar scholarship and it is three times the amount if you quit, but if you actaully FAIL out I don't think they make you pay it back. I read the fine print and if you actually fail out but don't quit then you are ok.

I have a similar scholarship and it is three times the amount if you quit, but if you actaully FAIL out I don't think they make you pay it back. I read the fine print and if you actually fail out but don't quit then you are ok.

That's good news for OP then. I still I hope OP don't quit having made it this far. But if all else fail, then just fail out so don't have to pay back.

Hope you don't quit man! There are people everywhere that love dentistry but hated dental school. Best of luck

So the academic committee decided that they will let me continue but they were very clear that if my gpa for this (Spring 2016) semester is below 2.0 then they will dismiss me on academic basis. And in the summer they want me to perform better in the review course if I survive this semester. I am doubting myself now that if I will be able to pull it off with that much pressure. The bright side is that they are not making me repeat anything and I am moving forward.

Reactions: 1 user
Hope you don't quit man! There are people everywhere that love dentistry but hated dental school. Best of luck

you got this, you're almost done

So the academic committee decided that they will let me continue but they were very clear that if my gpa for this (Spring 2016) semester is below 2.0 then they will dismiss me on academic basis. And in the summer they want me to perform better in the review course if I survive this semester. I am doubting myself now that if I will be able to pull it off with that much pressure. The bright side is that they are not making me repeat anything and I am moving forward.

Focus on the bright side! You can do this.