Accepted Non-Trads

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheZaLord

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I am writing from the position where- because I work full time, I am still a couple of years out from applying.
Just wanted to hear from the non-trads who have been accepted already!
A good way for those still in the pre-med trenches to keep their heads up, and maybe learn something more along the way.

What do you think helped you to be most successful?

Did you work, while going to school, and how did things go with keeping that balanced? With family, etc?

Thanks for any input!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Hello all,

I am writing from the position where- because I work full time, I am still a couple of years out from applying.
A good way for those still in the pre-med trenches to keep their heads up, and maybe learn something more along the way.

Did you work, while going to school, and how did things go with keeping that balanced? With family, etc?

Thanks for any input!

1. Determination.
2. Yes and I worked 60-70hrs a week at work and took 2 classes w/labs a term. You won't have balance so give up trying to keep it and do what you have to do to get through it. Family will varyingly suffer, but that won't end with med school acceptance.

Reactions: 4 users
Ditto on determination!

I didn't go back to school, but I worked more than full time when taking the MCAT, volunteering, interviewing across the country, etc, including getting a promotion in that time. No one had any idea.

I set goals for myself, including rewards that I only got if I achieved them. I measured my progress daily (how many hours did I study? Did I do X?) then did quarterly reviews. I wanted to know that there was nothing I could do to improve my application, that I had done it all and to have zero regrets.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I (and many others over the years) have written out my story in the "Nontrad Secrets of Success" thread. You can find the link to that and other similar threads in the sticky at the top of the forum.

Reactions: 2 users
Hello all,

Thanks for any input!

1. Yeah, basically what @DrMikeP said. Your know the bar is high. You know even if you meet the bar there's a risk of not succeeding in the long race. It's go all in or don't, there's nothing in the middle.

2. I'm in school full-time and I work two jobs -- one which schedules in 12 and 24 hour shifts and another that schedules 8s and 12s. I was fortunate in that both my workplaces have per diem options that carry no benefits but allow complete self-scheduling in six-week blocks, so I could plan my hours with care when I knew midterms or finals were coming up, etc. I make a lot less money than before I went back to school and I definitely feel it sometimes, but this was my priority.

Reactions: 2 users
1. Yeah, basically what @DrMikeP said. Your know the bar is high. You know even if you meet the bar there's a risk of not succeeding in the long race. It's go all in or don't, there's nothing in the middle.

That's one thing that scares me, but I can't imagine not at least trying. I'm trying to pay as much out of pocket as possible, I take on per diem on the weekend. I have had to do less because I couldn't keep up with a full time+ job, a per diem (very regular, basically part time), some home health patients, AND school. Had to cut somewhere.
The one plus is, though I've taken a pay cut, doing therapy in the schools vs. SNF affords summers off, where I can take more classes and per diem, while still getting my regular pay check.

I guess if I were to fail, there's always travel therapy to pay down what debt I do have. So I'm glad to have a back up.

But I have to try, I regret waiting the time that I have already. I have to do it.

Thanks for the input, everyone.

Family will varyingly suffer, but that won't end with med school acceptance.
33.gif

Were you trying to quote DrMikeP there?