Accepted. Now What?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

deciBELLE

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys!
I know those acceptances are slowly (almost too slowly) trickling in, but I thought I should start this post.
I'm writing this post as a sort of a catch-all for everyone who has been accepted :soexcited:but are now at a loss of what comes next.:shrug: Whether it be choosing between schools, Financial Aid, moving, etc., I thought it would be helpful if we all could learn from each other.

-- I'll go first:
I've been accepted into one school so far , but their email was extremely vague. No date stated as a due date for commitment or no word on financial aid. It more or less said email us back if you accept or deny, and do so promptly. So I called up and asked a few questions, and the person on the phone had no information on any of this. However, she did state I NEEDED to say from now if I accepted or not, to recieve any kind of information on funding or any more information/instructions in general.

Something about this seems odd to me. How am I supposed to make a choice when I do not have the options in front of me? At the rate at which these programs are giving notifications, it is WAY too early for me to accept or deny. What if I accept and another school offers me better funding? Or if I hold out on my choice I could miss opportunities I could have gotten if I replied earlier. Wouldn't I be screwed?
I heard people in the past say you are not obligated to commit by a certain date...(Does anyone know this date for 2014?), but this seems to go directly against that.

Anyone? Im starting to go cross-eyed with all the stress thinking about all of this.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
When I got accepted last year, i had a school that accepted me early and said I needed to inform the school if i was going to attend in 2 weeks but I didn't have to send them a "check to hold my spot" date until way later so i could hear from other schools. So you can say you are going but you will have to notify them later if you decide not to attend and most likely would loose the "hold my spot check" They should have given you a deadline for all of this info. It was extremely confusing so i feel your frustration

Thank you for your response Remibelle!

For any one with a similar problem, my situation was resolved. Turns out the person I spoke to on the phone was a little clueless. I did NOT need to officially accept like she said to get the information funding. With this school and other schools, after accepting you, 1-2 weeks later they send another letter saying they will give you info on funding in another 1-4 weeks. So it is just a matter of waiting and waiting. I guess they just wanted a prompt response of a yes/no to free up some spots to people on the waiting lists. Just need to give an answer by April 15th. Problem Solved :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone already decided NOT to go somewhere? I know there are a lot of people out there on wait lists hoping to get in. Once you decided to turn a place down have you told them immediately or are you waiting for the April 15th deadline? I have sent my regrets to University of Wisconsin's program and I have another that I am waiting to hear back on funding from before I decide.

Personally, I am waiting as soon as I hear about funding options. Once I hear about that, I can make my choice and decline. Since the schools are dragging that info out, then it might take a while. So I feel bad for those who are wait listed and who are waiting for my spot. It could last up until the deadline.