Accepted student...need advice about quitting toxic job

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

guisantes

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone. I am a long-time lurker on this site, but this is my first post. I have been accepted to my dream vet school, and I am ecstatic. I cannot wait to start vet school in the fall. I graduated from my undergraduate institution in December 2015, so I have this spring semester off. I planned on working as much as I possibly could in order to save up some money to use once I am in school. I obtained a job as a veterinary assistant at a small, privately-owned clinic, and I started about 3 weeks ago. I truly enjoy working with the animals, participating in procedures, and seeing interesting cases. However, the 2 vets who work at the clinic are, for lack of a better term, extremely rude. One of them gets angry frequently, and often throws things and yells. Everyone feels like they have to walk on eggshells when he is in the building because it is so easy to set him off into a rage. The other vet who works there is quite passive-aggressive, and has begun to berate me in front of clients. I am certainly open to constructive criticism, and I truly want to learn how to competently perform my duties (this is only my 3rd week, after all) but I do not appreciate being spoken to condescendingly and talked to like I am stupid, especially in front of clients. I DO understand that I will meet many people in my life, both in vet school and beyond, that are jerks, but I wanted to spend my semester off making money at a low-stress job. Instead, I feel extremely anxious all day, and I can literally feel my heart rate increasing as I drive to work. I want to give my 2 weeks notice soon, but this is my dilemma: both of the vets who work there went to the school that I am accepted at. I am afraid that they will somehow contact the school and tell them I am unfit for the profession or something like that. I know that sounds really stupid, but I fear these people are really vindictive and I am extremely worried about it. Can they do that? I am not quitting because I can't handle working with animals or anything like that...it is truly a toxic work environment and I just don't believe I need to be subjected to it. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Congrats on the Cornell acceptance!

I've been told on here before that each new clinic you go to, no matter how many you've worked in has a large learning curve and it's hard to adjust. And it's very true. To me, at least, there's a difference between letting emotions and power get the best of you and constructively mentoring someone. Is this is a clinic that was willing to train you on the job? Do your assistant/tech coworkers notice the same traits in these vets? I think it depends on how everyone else in that work environment feels to a degree. If you see toxicity like that all around you, that's not an experience you want to have before entering vet school. It may burn you out. If you don't see that in your coworkers, that doesn't mean your feelings are not valid but they may require some looking into. Just because there's jerks in the world doesn't mean you willingly have to subject yourself to them.

As for the fear of the doctors calling Cornell, it doesn't sound to me like you've done anything that makes you unfit to be a vet. If they do that, they'd have to have proof of documented cruelty to a patient or some sort of malpractice. They can't just call up an adcom and tell them "you can't sit with us" because there's the small chance they'll perceive you as a slow learner. You're totally fine!

Reactions: 1 user
Sir/ma'am....I apologize for the bother but I will be putting in my two weeks notice effective immediately. I understand if you'd like the transition to happen earlier but otherwise my last date will be "x". I thank you for the opportunity.

If they get annoyed or have a bunch of questions just say you need to transition to something else.

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats on the Cornell acceptance!

I've been told on here before that each new clinic you go to, no matter how many you've worked in has a large learning curve and it's hard to adjust. And it's very true. To me, at least, there's a difference between letting emotions and power get the best of you and constructively mentoring someone. Is this is a clinic that was willing to train you on the job? Do your assistant/tech coworkers notice the same traits in these vets? I think it depends on how everyone else in that work environment feels to a degree. If you see toxicity like that all around you, that's not an experience you want to have before entering vet school. It may burn you out. If you don't see that in your coworkers, that doesn't mean your feelings are not valid but they may require some looking into. Just because there's jerks in the world doesn't mean you willingly have to subject yourself to them.

As for the fear of the doctors calling Cornell, it doesn't sound to me like you've done anything that makes you unfit to be a vet. If they do that, they'd have to have proof of documented cruelty to a patient or some sort of malpractice. They can't just call up an adcom and tell them "you can't sit with us" because there's the small chance they'll perceive you as a slow learner. You're totally fine!

Thank you for your kind words. This clinic has a VERY high turnover rate for employees. The person who I replaced only worked there for 2 days before quitting. There are only 3 employees besides the vets...a licensed vet tech, a receptionist, and myself . The vet tech literally shakes sometimes, and gets yelled at frequently. The receptionist told me on my 2nd day that I need to get used to being yelled at and it is obvious that she fears the vets.

Hello everyone. I am a long-time lurker on this site, but this is my first post. I have been accepted to my dream vet school, and I am ecstatic. I cannot wait to start vet school in the fall. I graduated from my undergraduate institution in December 2015, so I have this spring semester off. I planned on working as much as I possibly could in order to save up some money to use once I am in school. I obtained a job as a veterinary assistant at a small, privately-owned clinic, and I started about 3 weeks ago. I truly enjoy working with the animals, participating in procedures, and seeing interesting cases. However, the 2 vets who work at the clinic are, for lack of a better term, extremely rude. One of them gets angry frequently, and often throws things and yells. Everyone feels like they have to walk on eggshells when he is in the building because it is so easy to set him off into a rage. The other vet who works there is quite passive-aggressive, and has begun to berate me in front of clients. I am certainly open to constructive criticism, and I truly want to learn how to competently perform my duties (this is only my 3rd week, after all) but I do not appreciate being spoken to condescendingly and talked to like I am stupid, especially in front of clients. I DO understand that I will meet many people in my life, both in vet school and beyond, that are jerks, but I wanted to spend my semester off making money at a low-stress job. Instead, I feel extremely anxious all day, and I can literally feel my heart rate increasing as I drive to work. I want to give my 2 weeks notice soon, but this is my dilemma: both of the vets who work there went to the school that I am accepted at. I am afraid that they will somehow contact the school and tell them I am unfit for the profession or something like that. I know that sounds really stupid, but I fear these people are really vindictive and I am extremely worried about it. Can they do that? I am not quitting because I can't handle working with animals or anything like that...it is truly a toxic work environment and I just don't believe I need to be subjected to it. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!
I almost want to ask if you are replacing me at my old job.

I found myself in a terrible workplace, so I'll suggest you do as I say, not as I do :p. You are in no way obligated to stay at this job. It sounds like it is really not a good place for you to be. I vote that you quit. This is coming from someone who didn't quit their crap job, and actually went back over break out of desperation for money (let's just say that I really am done now). The doctor I used to work for used to say things like that too. "Wow, I might have to rescind that letter I wrote you!" She didn't even write me a LOR, but the threat is enough. I don't know if a school would rescind an offer based off of the opinions of alumni that have known you for only a few weeks, but I would hope that they wouldn't. What I do know is that it's not unheard of for a school/other alumni/whatever to know these other vets fairly well and know what they are like. They could very well have a bad reputation among their peers. You deserve to enjoy your time before school. Don't let the fear of someone seeking retribution keep you from enjoying summer.

Thank you for your kind words. This clinic has a VERY high turnover rate for employees. The person who I replaced only worked there for 2 days before quitting. There are only 3 employees besides the vets...a licensed vet tech, a receptionist, and myself . The vet tech literally shakes sometimes, and gets yelled at frequently. The receptionist told me on my 2nd day that I need to get used to being yelled at and it is obvious that she fears the vets.
Okay, yeah, we essentially have the exact same situations. The clinic I left went through 6 assistants (not including myself) last year. All 6 were hired to replace me when I went to school in August. Our receptionist used to shake. It's kind of crazy how similar this is. Anytime someone would quit, the vet/manager would just say "Oh, they just aren't cut out for this kind of work." They do know that they are completely terrible, there's no question. It was getting to the point where one day would be excruciating (I watched a coworker type and print her resignation at work), and the next day the doctor would buy us all a nice lunch for no reason. Manipulation. Get out, you won't regret it.

Edit: A high turnover rate should always be a huge concern for you in my experience. The clinic I've been trying to get into for 10 years has had the same staff since I was 12. I shadowed there and could see the difference immediately.

Sir/ma'am....I apologize for the bother but I will be putting in my two weeks notice effective immediately. I understand if you'd like the transition to happen earlier but otherwise my last date will be "x". I thank you for the opportunity.

If they get annoyed or have a bunch of questions just say you need to transition to something else.

Thank you, that is a good way to phrase the two weeks notice. I will definitely say something to that effect. I am worried they will prod me to tell them why I want to quit, but I figured that saying nothing specific would be best.

I almost want to ask if you are replacing me at my old job.

I found myself in a terrible workplace, so I'll suggest you do as I say, not as I do :p. You are in no way obligated to stay at this job. It sounds like it is really not a good place for you to be. I vote that you quit. This is coming from someone who didn't quit their crap job, and actually went back over break out of desperation for money (let's just say that I really am done now). The doctor I used to work for used to say things like that too. "Wow, I might have to rescind that letter I wrote you!" She didn't even write me a LOR, but the threat is enough. I don't know if a school would rescind an offer based off of the opinions of alumni that have known you for only a few weeks, but I would hope that they wouldn't. What I do know is that it's not unheard of for a school/other alumni/whatever to know these other vets fairly well and know what they are like. They could very well have a bad reputation among their peers. You deserve to enjoy your time before school. Don't let the fear of someone seeking retribution keep you from enjoying summer.

Thank you. I hope that you find some peace in your situation as well. I agree that it is possible that the school already knows these vets are jerks...I guess I had not considered that previously. Since I just met these people 3 weeks ago, none of them wrote any of my LORs or anything like that. I just am worried that somehow they will tell Cornell that I couldn't handle veterinary work or something. It really has nothing to do with veterinary work...that is the only part of the job that I do like lol. Maybe I am just being paranoid.

Thank you. I hope that you find some peace in your situation as well. I agree that it is possible that the school already knows these vets are jerks...I guess I had not considered that previously. Since I just met these people 3 weeks ago, none of them wrote any of my LORs or anything like that. I just am worried that somehow they will tell Cornell that I couldn't handle veterinary work or something. It really has nothing to do with veterinary work...that is the only part of the job that I do like lol. Maybe I am just being paranoid.
Cornell has already made the decision that you are more than capable of handling the academics/work. I don't think they'd think very highly of someone calling and desperately trying to get your seat ripped away.

Cornell has already made the decision that you are more than capable of handling the academics/work. I don't think they'd think very highly of someone calling and desperately trying to get your seat ripped away.

Yes, when you put it like that, I agree. I feel it would be unprofessional for the vets to do something like that, but at the same time I worry that they are vindictive enough to do it. After reading all of your posts, however, I am feeling slightly better. How did you handle the situation at your clinic? Did you just go away to school and then not return? I can't imagine staying at this place until August...the thought of doing so makes me feel sick lol

Yes, when you put it like that, I agree. I feel it would be unprofessional for the vets to do something like that, but at the same time I worry that they are vindictive enough to do it. After reading all of your posts, however, I am feeling slightly better. How did you handle the situation at your clinic? Did you just go away to school and then not return? I can't imagine staying at this place until August...the thought of doing so makes me feel sick lol
When things were bad, I never once yelled back or got into it with either the vet or the manager. I wasn't interested in making it worse. Tears were shed there fairly regularly, and it wasn't uncommon for employees to go to lunch and never come back. I tried to quit in June (I wanted some summer vacation!), but they literally begged me to stay on 2-3 days a week and I caved. I went to school, and they reached out to me for working over Christmas break. I agreed because I needed some cash, and it sealed the deal that I absolutely will not return. That, and I'm doing the work of a technician for the pay of a kennel worker.

If I do not get any other veterinary opportunities offered to me, I will gladly work in retail or a grocery store this summer.

When things were bad, I never once yelled back or got into it with either the vet or the manager. I wasn't interested in making it worse. Tears were shed there fairly regularly, and it wasn't uncommon for employees to go to lunch and never come back. I tried to quit in June (I wanted some summer vacation!), but they literally begged me to stay on 2-3 days a week and I caved. I went to school, and they reached out to me for working over Christmas break. I agreed because I needed some cash, and it sealed the deal that I absolutely will not return. That, and I'm doing the work of a technician for the pay of a kennel worker.

If I do not get any other veterinary opportunities offered to me, I will gladly work in retail or a grocery store this summer.

Lol, at this point, I would also rather work in retail or something of that nature than continue working at this clinic. Thank you very much for sharing your experience with me. I hope you find a better job that treats you as well as you deserve to be treated! Good luck!

I had a similar experience in a terrible clinic.

Document everything if you're worried about them being vindictive. The truth is, if you're located in a "at will" state and have no formal contract, you don't have to even give two weeks notice. That's just a professional courtesy to aid them in replacing you.

Don't over think this. If you're miserable and you've seen a pattern of behavior that is abusive and unprofessional, it's not going to get better. Sever your connection and move on. It will not impact your acceptance to do so.

Don't scare yourself with imagined scenarios of the vets taking revenge on you. I would bet that the admission people at Cornell would get a huge laugh out of the impotent rage of some entitled jackass who tried to **** with their admission choices. I definitely would. Cornell has a lot of alumni and most have zero clout in the admission's process so it would be incredibly amusing if someone would risk their professional reputation trying to go after a student in such a direct manner.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
If you look in the older threads for one labeled 'possible bad recommendation letter,' you'll find my saga. It was much the same way, and I stayed for almost 4 years because I was afraid vet schools would wonder why I left or why I didn't receive a LOR. I asked for one, and then a few days before the deadline I retracted it in fear of the vet writing one that was less than stellar. Long story short, none of the schools ever asked, and I received 6 interviews without the LOR! You need to leave. Life is too short to work with bad people. I would work on lining up a new job while you are still there, and then leave as soon as you get it. The people on this board convinced me to leave, and I'm so glad I did. You will be too!

I had a similar experience in a terrible clinic.

Document everything if you're worried about them being vindictive. The truth is, if you're located in a "at will" state and have no formal contract, you don't have to even give two weeks notice. That's just a professional courtesy to aid them in replacing you.

Don't over think this. If you're miserable and you've seen a pattern of behavior that is abusive and unprofessional, it's not going to get better. Sever your connection and move on. It will not impact your acceptance to do so.

Don't scare yourself with imagined scenarios of the vets taking revenge on you. I would bet that the admission people at Cornell would get a huge laugh out of the impotent rage of some entitled jackass who tried to **** with their admission choices. I definitely would. Cornell has a lot of alumni and most have zero clout in the admission's process so it would be incredibly amusing if someone would risk their professional reputation trying to go after a student in such a direct manner.

I am indeed in an "at will" state. I'm only a part time employee so there is no contract either. I think you are right; I am scaring myself. I agree that it would be unprofessional for the vets to go after me...thank you so much for your advice!

If you look in the older threads for one labeled 'possible bad recommendation letter,' you'll find my saga. It was much the same way, and I stayed for almost 4 years because I was afraid vet schools would wonder why I left or why I didn't receive a LOR. I asked for one, and then a few days before the deadline I retracted it in fear of the vet writing one that was less than stellar. Long story short, none of the schools ever asked, and I received 6 interviews without the LOR! You need to leave. Life is too short to work with bad people. I would work on lining up a new job while you are still there, and then leave as soon as you get it. The people on this board convinced me to leave, and I'm so glad I did. You will be too!

I'm glad you left the job that was making you unhappy, and I'm glad you got all those interviews! Thank you for sharing your experience with me. I truly appreciate your advice!

Agreed. Two weeks notice on your next shift and find somewhere else. Working for a horrible vet almost pushed me out of wanting reapply. I then worked for a doggie day care and screwed up so bad I thought I was going to be fired. Quite literally the worst mistake I've ever made at work. Nope. Not even a real reprimand. Had I made the same mistake at the clinic, I never would have bothered going back.

Pick a job you'll have fun doing; it doesn't have to be vet related. It'll get you back on track pretty quick.

It doesn't matter if they call Cornell, you won't lose your spot. Just quit and don't look back. But be professional about it - hold your head up high and give two week's notice and keep it classy no matter what.

Based on a prior clinic I worked at:

You'll give your 2 weeks. The petulant babies that run the place will get mad and tell you to leave sooner. If you stay calm and professional, they may extend that time to give themselves a chance to hire someone else and treat you nicely so you won't "give the wrong impression" to the new guy. You'll get your paycheck. Walk away.

If you can't keep professional, it will be a same day toss out. Either way, you are free!

Give your 2 weeks. If for some reason you decide not to, tell the passive aggressive vet that you value their criticism and would like to improve and perhaps they can make time to go over perceived mistakes after seeing clients. Will take the wind right out of their sails.

Reactions: 5 users
Next time that happens, hand them your name tag and walk! There's plenty of clinics around. Don't torture yourself over two weeks. Cause they will, passive aggressively of course.
As far as them putting the evil eye on you at Cornell..if Cornell suddenly calls and tells you they made a mistake (which I bet money they won't) I think you have a case. Institutions don't like bad publicity. I'd yell from the mountain tops.
There's several good life lessons here: always root for yourself, cause no one else will. There's nothing more liberating than walking off the job when your boss sucks. And remember to treat your help well when you become the boss. All doctors need someone to have their back, run interference, & help keep them sane. Apparently these doctors haven't learned that.

If you weren't in NY, I would definitely think you were talking about the job I recently left. I COMPLETELY SYMPATHIZE! I worked in LA critical care before my job in the SA clinic. So I knew a lot, but not in the SA realm. They told me the would train me and I was happy to get more experience and thought it was worth a try.

I had the same experience with people straight up yelling and throwing things at me, being rude in front of clients, etc. It became clear they wouldn't train me, so I started doing my homework and looking up references on line. I really wanted to do well and give it my best. The worst part came when I started having anxiety and panic attacks driving to work. I would similarly start balling as soon as I got in my car after work. It was emotionally tearing me apart and my confidence was gone. I realized they are bullies. I am an adult and was being bullied...:smack: The other staff felt the same way. And I later found out that they had a very high turn over rate before me. I lasted 9 months. Things got a little better in the end- partly because I stopped caring. But When I stopped caring, I stopped trying... I hated that. That just isn't me. So I looked at who I had become, and the doctors that would still yell and I quit. I told them I had another opportunity and I truly appreciated everything they had done for me.

I look back and I would never let anyone talk to me like that now. I think it forced me to grow, but my advice would be not to deal with people like that. However, it severely tarnished my opinion of SA medicine... I am working on that. It is not worth the emotional stress. You have all of our support! Your happiness and health come first!

Btw, throwing stuff is assault. And should be taken seriously.
Yes, there is no excuse for that behavior. You need to leave ASAP and save yourself the torture. Cornell is not going to retract your acceptance because of one self-entitled vet trying to ruin someones future. Vet schools stand behind their decisions. I seriously doubt that vet will call. Most people like that are all talk anyways just to scare you into staying.

The more I read situation like these the more I realize how to characterize bad situations like this. I thought my job was tough because the boss was condescending and snippy, and the manager even more so. But they did train me and they did pay for me to go to CE classes even when they knew I would be leaving for school shortly. My coworkers were also absolutely amazing. Your situation sounds completely different, totally unmanageable with no positives to be seen. I'd stress to at least turn in a two weeks though, because you always want to be seen as being in the right, even if they are known as being totally unreasonable in their field.

Man. Reading stories like this makes me feel really lucky with the places I've ended up working. Don't stay in a toxic work environment any longer than absolutely necessary. It just isn't worth it. It isn't any of their business why you are leaving, and there's no way they would get your spot at Cornell revoked. Put that place in your rearview mirror ASAP!

If you weren't in NY, I would definitely think you were talking about the job I recently left. I COMPLETELY SYMPATHIZE! I worked in LA critical care before my job in the SA clinic. So I knew a lot, but not in the SA realm. They told me the would train me and I was happy to get more experience and thought it was worth a try.

I had the same experience with people straight up yelling and throwing things at me, being rude in front of clients, etc. It became clear they wouldn't train me, so I started doing my homework and looking up references on line. I really wanted to do well and give it my best. The worst part came when I started having anxiety and panic attacks driving to work. I would similarly start balling as soon as I got in my car after work. It was emotionally tearing me apart and my confidence was gone. I realized they are bullies. I am an adult and was being bullied...:smack: The other staff felt the same way. And I later found out that they had a very high turn over rate before me. I lasted 9 months. Things got a little better in the end- partly because I stopped caring. But When I stopped caring, I stopped trying... I hated that. That just isn't me. So I looked at who I had become, and the doctors that would still yell and I quit. I told them I had another opportunity and I truly appreciated everything they had done for me.

I look back and I would never let anyone talk to me like that now. I think it forced me to grow, but my advice would be not to deal with people like that. However, it severely tarnished my opinion of SA medicine... I am working on that. It is not worth the emotional stress. You have all of our support! Your happiness and health come first!
I was lucky enough that my first two SA experiences were with wonderful people. The clinic I worked at in undergrad was great. The vet would even text me and ask if I was able to make it into work safely or not (we had a few terrible ice storms), and that resonated with me. When you find the great people, you really enjoy the work. I also felt similarly when I stopped caring. You get burnt out and just give up on trying, because everything you do will result in screaming anyways. It was hard for me to remember that the patients are my first priority, even if I'm asked to do something that clearly puts a patient at risk. It's hard to work in a place where you can't do your best.

The only good that really came out of the clinic I disliked was learning what not to do. That isn't to say that I would ever insist that I am a better vet than another doctor or anything, but you really do learn how to treat staff well and appreciate them when you see the opposite happening. I never want to run a clinic where my staff sit in their cars before work every morning debating if they should just turn around and go back home.

Wow, I am shocked to hear how many people have had similar experiences. I truly appreciate you all sharing your stories and advice with me. My next shift is on Monday (it was supposed to be tomorrow, but I got it off to go to the Cornell accepted student day). So, I will give them my letter of resignation on Monday. I feel much better after listening to all of you. You have been very supportive, and I truly appreciate each and every one of you. I will update about what happens. Thank you!

Wow, I am shocked to hear how many people have had similar experiences.

After working in three clinics prior to vet school and five clinics as an associate veterinarian, I have come to the conclusion that toxic veterinary clinics are all too common. I've seen employees hit and yelled out in more than one clinic, had things thrown at me, etc. I think it has a lot to do with high rates of burnout and compassion fatigue among practice owners (and all veterinarians), but it's a rough situation.

After working in three clinics prior to vet school and five clinics as an associate veterinarian, I have come to the conclusion that toxic veterinary clinics are all too common. I've seen employees hit and yelled out in more than one clinic, had things thrown at me, etc. I think it has a lot to do with high rates of burnout and compassion fatigue among practice owners (and all veterinarians), but it's a rough situation.

Yes, I agree that burnout and fatigue are common amongst practice owners. I can't believe that you saw employees get hit. That is terrible.

I can't believe that you saw employees get hit. That is terrible.

Yep, in two separate clinics (one before vet school, one where I worked as a vet). Since becoming a veterinarian, I've had one employer yell and scream at me (multiple times), another employer tell me that he was hearing voices from the devil telling him that I was out to get him (but he didn't fire me and decided to "let me live"), and another employer tell me (when I requested a week of vacation time with 8 mos notice) "obviously this is only okay if you don't get pregnant between now and then... If you do get pregnant, then obviously you've gotta decide at some point which is more important - a beach vacation or having a job to come back to once you have a baby to support?"

This is why I now work at Banfield. It definitely comes with its own struggles, but at least it's more predictable and I have better protection through HR, FMLA laws, etc. (For example, when I had some pregnancy-related health issues, my field leadership balked at making accommodations and threatened to put me out on leave early... But a quick call to HR had them whipped into shape.)

Last edited:
Yep, in two separate clinics (one before vet school, one where I worked as a vet). Since becoming a veterinarian, I've had one employer yell and scream at me (multiple times), another employer tell me that he was hearing voices from the devil telling him that I was out to get him (but he didn't fire me and decided to "let me live"), and another employer tell me (when I requested a week of vacation time with 8 mos notice) "obviously this is only okay if you don't get pregnant between now and then... If you do get pregnant, then obviously you've gotta decide at some point which is more important - a beach vacation or having a job to come back to once you have a baby to support?"

This is why I now work at Banfield. It definitely comes with its own struggles, but at least it's more predictable and I have better protection through HR, FMLA laws, etc. (For example, when I had some pregnancy-related health issues, my field leadership balked at making accommodations and threatened to put me out on leave early... But a quick call to HR had them whipped into shape.)
wait what

That has to be illegal, plus horrible on so many levels!

That has to be illegal, plus horrible on so many levels!

Horrible, but not illegal. (Spoke with friends who work in HR and an attorney.) Small businesses are under no obligation to hold your job in the event of pregnancy or any other sort of leave... They can't specifically discriminate against pregnancy, but he had let someone go for missing a couple of weeks for non-pregnancy-related medical issues in the past so it wouldn't be considered pregnancy discrimination. If he fired me for taking vacation while pregnant, that would be discrimination. Not holding my job for 6 wks maternity leave would not be discrimination.

Horrible, but not illegal. (Spoke with friends who work in HR and an attorney.) Small businesses are under no obligation to hold your job in the event of pregnancy or any other sort of leave... They can't specifically discriminate against pregnancy, but he had let someone go for missing a couple of weeks for non-pregnancy-related medical issues in the past so it wouldn't be considered pregnancy discrimination. If he fired me for taking vacation while pregnant, that would be discrimination. Not holding my job for 6 wks maternity leave would not be discrimination.
That hurts my soul a bit. I hate that small businesses are exempt from that kind of stuff. It makes no sense to me, can't we just be decent human beings? Blarg.

Why do you all think there is more of a tendency for this toxic atmosphere, "mean" vets, mistreatment/disrespect in small animal private practice/private practice in general? Do you think it's the kind of people drawn to work in small animal (particularly some specific generation of vets) or that the job is really stressful or something else? If it is because the job is stressful, I hope to be aware of the stress in the future and never be like the nasty vets/managers that make their techs scared and walk on egg shells.

I have been working as a SA vet tech for 13 years now in the same clinic and sadly I have seen every one of these horrible things plus some..

Why do you all think there is more of a tendency for this toxic atmosphere, "mean" vets, mistreatment/disrespect in small animal private practice/private practice in general? Do you think it's the kind of people drawn to work in small animal (particularly some specific generation of vets) or that the job is really stressful or something else? If it is because the job is stressful, I hope to be aware of the stress in the future and never be like the nasty vets/managers that make their techs scared and walk on egg shells.
IMO, more and more vets are under extreme stress. Now, that's no excuse for this behavior. I've met plenty of doctors who manage to work without assaulting someone. When you combine crippling debt, certain personality types (controlling, perfectionist, etc. and the extremes of those personalities), the stress of running/owning a practice and mix in a lack of coping mechanisms/self examining, you start to get those tempers and toxic environments.

I definitely don't think it's a SA trend at all. We have a surgery resident here who has earned a rep for herself, and one of my friends had told me stories about the equine vet she worked for. One of our profs this quarter likes to bring up how most of us veterinary students fit into the type A personality...."(1) free-floating hostility, which can be triggered by even minor incidents; (2) time urgency and impatience, which causes irritation and exasperation usually described as being "short-fused"; and (3) a competitive drive, which causes stress and an achievement-driven mentality" according to Wikipedia. Ignore the blue, I copy/pasted haha. If you like to agree with that, it can explain why. I think the 3rd one is definitely applicable, but I know some of my classmates definitely align with the first two as well. I've also met a few doctors who insist that no one's problems could possibly be as bad as theirs and almost seemed to feel entitled to their outbursts.

I also don't think vets like this are that common...we probably see more stories on here just because people flock to this forum for advice.

I definitely think that personality characteristics play a role, but I think a lot of it is the stress of the profession. When I first graduated from vet school (9 years ago), I was the one who was always positive and laid-back at work. As time has gone by and I've been increasingly beat down by the profession, I am definitely less so. I try to be nice to my coworkers, and most days I am, but there are definitely days that I get impatient and snippy with people. I come in to work stressed and leave even more stressed, so it's hard to be patient sometimes. I recognize that as a problem in myself and work hard to control my stress/anxiety levels at work (recently had several sessions with a therapist on the topic, actually), but see how it could get a heck of a lot worse if I don't make career changes soon.

It's also how the clinic is run. There are clinics that run very smoothly with happy employees who care about each other. But it's not just coincidence. Those practices really value inter-employee relationships and hire for the right fit, and nip any poor behavior in the bud at first sight (from doctors all the way down to kennel staff)

As a small team of people who work very closely in a high emotional intensity situation, there are so many ways for things to go wrong for so many ways for people to build resentment against each other. It takes a lot of work to keep a nice balance, both with management and with individuals all putting in an effort.

Wow, I'm shocked how many people had experiences similar to mine. To the OP: my only regret is not leaving my toxic job sooner. My heart would race on the way in, never knew what to expect, etc. I worked almost two years and by the time I put in my two weeks notice I was under so much stress and so bullied by coworkers that I only made it 10 out of my 14 days....it's not worth it, and even if they call Connell will laugh them off the phone. Let us know what happens, I'm rooting for you! If the softest, most shy and people pleasing person can do it (which I did, eventually) you can too!

I'm sorry you've had to endure this. No one deserves to be treated that way. I've experienced the abuse at a vet clinic, too, and I didn't leave early enough because I didn't have the confidence to stick up for myself.

My first job as a veterinary assistant was pretty good. There was really only 1 vet that we had a problem with. This vet would scream, condescend, and insult the assistants and kennel workers on a regular basis. None of the assistants wanted to be assigned to her during appointments because of how she treated people. However, she was known for writing great letters of recommendation, so I asked her to write one for me and she did and I got into vet school. Well, one day I was holding an older golden retriever for a nail trim and the dog was fighting a lot and making a lot of noise. Despite this not being her patient and another vet being in the room, the angry vet started screaming that I was holding the dog wrong and too tightly. She yelled at me to let go of the dog, and then I was bit right in the face. I had to go to the hospital because I was pouring blood out of my head and needed stitches. Not only that, but she tried to have me fired. If it wasn't for the other vet and other veterinary assistants who witnessed everything coming to my defense I would have lost my job. I was later told that this vet had personal problems at home with her family and was under a lot of stress, not that that excuses her behavior. I will never forgive her for putting me in danger.

I still have scars on my face from what happened and because of that I always put the safety of my assistants first. I tell them they should always feel comfortable telling me if they think something is unsafe or if they are uncomfortable doing something for me. Sometimes bad experiences are good for teaching you how not to be and the only way to move forward is to see a little silver lining like that before moving on.

Reactions: 2 users
I hear the excuse of "s/he has a lot of things going on" for poor behavior in vet clinics. It drives me batty. Everyone has **** going on in their lives. It doesn't give anyone license to treat others like ****.

Reactions: 5 users
I hear the excuse of "s/he has a lot of things going on" for poor behavior in vet clinics. It drives me batty. Everyone has **** going on in their lives. It doesn't give anyone license to treat others like ****.
Exactly. You are not entitled to treating people like crap. No one is entitled to that.

Then I was bit right in the face. I had to go to the hospital because I was pouring blood out of my head and needed stitches. Not only that, but she tried to have me fired. If it wasn't for the other vet and other veterinary assistants who witnessed everything coming to my defense I would have lost my job.

Wow. I am so sorry that that happened to you. That is truly a horrible situation. I'm glad that you don't treat your assistants that way...too often, I think people say "well, I was treated this way, so I will treat other people this way." I have decided not to give two weeks notice; many people have said that they will just torture me for 2 weeks if I do that. Tomorrow I am just going to walk in, hand them a letter of resignation, and tell them I will not be working my shift today or anymore. I am very very nervous, but I know I will feel better once it is done.

Wow. I am so sorry that that happened to you. That is truly a horrible situation. I'm glad that you don't treat your assistants that way...too often, I think people say "well, I was treated this way, so I will treat other people this way." I have decided not to give two weeks notice; many people have said that they will just torture me for 2 weeks if I do that. Tomorrow I am just going to walk in, hand them a letter of resignation, and tell them I will not be working my shift today or anymore. I am very very nervous, but I know I will feel better once it is done.

give 2 weeks. It's more professional. Even if they "torture" you (which is all hearsay and may not be true) vet med is a small world and you shouldn't burn any bridges. Talk gets around. I don't expect it to affect your acceptance, but it may have other repercussions.

give 2 weeks. It's more professional. Even if they "torture" you (which is all hearsay and may not be true) vet med is a small world and you shouldn't burn any bridges. Talk gets around. I don't expect it to affect your acceptance, but it may have other repercussions.

True. I will give notice then (although it won't be exactly 14 days, since I will line it up with the end of the pay period.) It would be about 10 days notice. Do you think that is more acceptable?

I think this is a big mistake. The two weeks may be rough, but there's a good chance you'll need them for a reference or that a future employer may call them for one. Learning to deal with it and work out your notice is the first step in your veterinary education. If you've only been there a short time, they may let you go immediately... But I'd at least offer to work the 2 weeks.