Accepted Student Needs Your Help Choosing! Please?!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LABruin4Life

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello. I recently got accepted to Mercer University and Midwestern-CPG.

• Disregarding the factor of cost, which school should I choose to attend if I am leaning toward pursuing a career in clinical pharmacy?
I'm from SoCal, so going to Midwestern in AZ would be close to home, but Atlanta might be a nice change.

• Also, MWU-CPG is a 3-yr program so I would get in and get out faster, but would going to an unranked school like MWU-CPG hinder my chances of landing a residency versus if I spend an extra year at Mercer, which is ranked 32nd. (Do rankings even matter?)
  • Further, I heard that sometimes it's difficult for students in 3-yr programs to finish their internship hours. Clearly people have overcome this difficulty, so can anyone speak from experience and tell me how they did it?
Lastly, I've worked 6 months in a clinical setting, and I just started working in retail. Honestly, I would like to do clinical for the majority of my pharmacy career, but I'm afraid that with the competition rising for residencies, I will end up in retail at the end of professional school and possible look back and regret my decision to spend one more year in school to be in a position I could have been in one year ago. I hope that makes sense.

• Am I being too pessimistic about getting a residency? Is it really that difficult/competitive to get one?..
If this was your decision to make, then which university would you choose? Please help me out. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello. I recently got accepted to Mercer University and Midwestern-CPG.

• Disregarding the factor of cost, which school should I choose to attend if I am leaning toward pursuing a career in clinical pharmacy?
I'm from SoCal, so going to Midwestern in AZ would be close to home, but Atlanta might be a nice change.

• Also, MWU-CPG is a 3-yr program so I would get in and get out faster, but would going to an unranked school like MWU-CPG hinder my chances of landing a residency versus if I spend an extra year at Mercer, which is ranked 32nd. (Do rankings even matter?)
  • Further, I heard that sometimes it's difficult for students in 3-yr programs to finish their internship hours. Clearly people have overcome this difficulty, so can anyone speak from experience and tell me how they did it?
Lastly, I've worked 6 months in a clinical setting, and I just started working in retail. Honestly, I would like to do clinical for the majority of my pharmacy career, but I'm afraid that with the competition rising for residencies, I will end up in retail at the end of professional school and possible look back and regret my decision to spend one more year in school to be in a position I could have been in one year ago. I hope that makes sense.

• Am I being too pessimistic about getting a residency? Is it really that difficult/competitive to get one?..
If this was your decision to make, then which university would you choose? Please help me out. Thanks!

I would go to AZ and finish a yr early....easy decision for me...

residencies are easy to get still at this point....some of the weakest folks in my class are getting them :rolleyes:

[*]Further, I heard that sometimes it's difficult for students in 3-yr programs to finish their internship hours. Clearly people have overcome this difficulty, so can anyone speak from experience and tell me how they did it?

Unless they changed things, all the hours you need to practice in Arizona are built into the program.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would go to a 4 year school. Nothing beats having an extra year of college experience. If you would rather graduate in 3 years without any breaks and start working a year earlier, go ahead, have fun. I would rather take 4 years, have my summers off, and have the experience. I"m doing my clinical rotations right now, and when I look back at school I wish I was still back there. So much free time, so much fun, so much partying.

I would go to a 4 year school. Nothing beats having an extra year of college experience. If you would rather graduate in 3 years without any breaks and start working a year earlier, go ahead, have fun. I would rather take 4 years, have my summers off, and have the experience. I"m doing my clinical rotations right now, and when I look back at school I wish I was still back there. So much free time, so much fun, so much partying.

sorry, I gave the adult response...:rolleyes:

please, get your party time in....:laugh:

Which one did you like better?

I loved Mercer. If I didn't get into an in-state school it would DEFINITELY have been my first choice.