Accepted students: what are your summer plans?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm super excited for a summer of doing things I WANT to do instead of what I SHOULD be (like when I was prevet)...
1. Beach trip with my undergrad roommates before we all have to move out of our apartment
2. 20 days traveling in Europe
3. Trip to visit out of state family
4. Getting some horse experience (I have zilch) with a family friend horse trainer
5. Summer concerts!

Members don't see this ad.

My summer plans are as follows:
1. Spend as much time with my SO as possible (we were long distance, but I recently moved from Chicago to Kansas City to spend time with him before vet school starts.)
2. Work part-time at something enjoyable and not too mentally draining (I'm thinking a boarding kennel or retail job.)
3. Lots of hiking with my dogs and hopefully a camping trip or two! Basically as much time spent outside as possible.
4. Lots of reading and binge watching Netflix.
5. Summer concerts! Kansas City has free country concerts every Thursday night, so I'm super excited for that!
6. Spend time with all my friends and family so they don't forget about me while I'm in vet school...

Until JAL started direct flights to Narita from Boston recently, I preferred to make my connections through Toronto with Air Canada. Usually cheaper than the Japan based airlines, and air canada provides power outlets for your laptops even on economy seats. So you can just load up your laptop with whatever entertainment needs you have and keep yourself occupied.

Do you have family in Japan?

Members don't see this ad :)
Continuing my work at the specialty clinic (the best experience I could ever get), getting married and going on honeymoon, finding a place to live in Raleigh....thanking my lucky stars for the opportunity to go to vet school...so many people try and so few get there....I feel so blessed!

I'm in Canada, so I have not even had my interview, let alone been accepted, but I've been thinking so much about this lately...

I don't know whether to take it easy or go ham and work 60+ hour weeks to make future financials better :shrug:

So it's decided then. We're all going on the cruise and @LetItSnow is paying for the milkshakes and alcohol :)
I was just invited to this event by a fellow vet student... combining all of our favorite things!
VmlitMM.jpg

Reactions: 1 user
I was just invited to this event by a fellow vet student... combining all of our favorite things!
VmlitMM.jpg
And the event's at 8 am? That's a whole new level of day-drinking. :p

I am not paying for milkshakes for the entire second-year class. All y'all punks can buy me a drink.
Just the SDNers... so me and @dovelover :D
And the event's at 8 am? That's a whole new level of day-drinking. :p
Yep, and I'm not even 100% sure it's a typo - sounds like there may be a wet lab during the majority of the day.
I feel like that could end badly...
I think by "badly" you meant "gloriously" ;)

I'm so excited for this summer! Just have to get through April and finals week. Here are my fabulous nonschool-related plans!

1. Moving into new house and decorating it!
2.Continue working full-time at the ISU CVM Diagnostics Lab
3. Going to Shania Twain concert with my boyfriend :clap:
4. Family vacation to California, and vacation with my boyfriend's family to their lake house
5. Working out, reading library books, fishing, and camping
6. Relaxing!

I'm going on the SIRVS trip next weekend, so really it would just be you. I'm sure he could swing that. Or heck, I will buy you a milkshake if you pet sit for me ;)

Which weekend is that? Do I need to set aside some time to go on SIRVS? :)

eta: nevermind... this is the one while I'm out of town, isn't it? drat drat.

Members don't see this ad :)
1. Getting ready to move to another state!!! :arghh::bag::confused::eek::depressed: ...I kid, I kid, I am actually excited, but *ugh* there are so many nuances to work out in the time between. :dead:
2. Work full time to save up money
3. ADOPT A CAT!!!! :love::cat::love::cat: I'm finally moving out of my no-pets-allowed dorm!!!!!!
4. Spend as much time as possible with my SO before we're subjected to the whole LDR thing
5. Finally have a guilt-free Netflix marathon in which I'm not thinking about all the studying I should be doing. :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

I hope everyone has some good summer plans figured out! I need an opinion though. BF and I decided we want to take our kids camping. I found a cabin that has pretty decent availability and is affordable. It also happens to be available July 4th weekend. This would probably work out well for us, and it sounds like a great weekend to go camping. I'm sure there will be someplace cool to go see fireworks up in the mountains. The only problem is I'm still working, and the clinic where I work also does boarding, and that is ALWAYS a busy time for boarders. So if I take off Friday and Monday, I will be leaving my co-workers a little understaffed. Granted I've been left in those situations while others were on vacation too, and while it sucked at times, I made it through. Should I be worried about how my co-workers will feel or should I just go for it since that is when we'd most like to go?

I'm so excited acceptances for my school finally came out today!
My plans for the summer are to do nothing but things that I want, instead of piling activities that will make my application look good! So now instead of having to work at a specialty hospital, I am choosing too! It doesn't seem like a big difference but it changes my whole out look on things!
So my plans for the summer: Work (to pay for vet school) and to relax and not worry about getting into vet school!!!
Congrats everyone!

Bumping this thread for the class of 2020! I'm not sure if I'm more excited for vet school itself, or for quitting both my jobs and enjoying my first summer in a few years where I don't have to worry about working/summer classes/shadowing! :banana: My boyfriend and I are tentatively planning an epic road trip to the east coast to visit friends in New York and Florida. :D The furthest east I've been in the US is Chicago, so I'm super excited assuming this works out (we'll need to save up a good chunk of money over the next few months). My boyfriend will be studying abroad in China this fall, which will be a huge change considering we're living together now, but I'm hoping we'll be able to handle the distance well.

Compared to my summer full of leisure last year, this time I'll probably be working at least until July, if not longer. That could change I guess. I'm applying to some interesting internships so if any of those work out I may consider quitting earlier for what will hopefully be zoo or wildlife work.

Getting my pilot's license, and my co-pilot a sweet frap hat and some goggles.

Reactions: 1 users
Backpacking through Europe! Getting some good traveling in before I'm too busy to get out of the US for long periods of time :)

Reactions: 4 users
Backpacking through Europe! Getting some good traveling in before I'm too busy to get out of the US for long periods of time :)

If I'm accepted this year, this is what I'm hoping to do as well! :) Have fun!

Reactions: 3 users
This is what im doing as well! except Im adding SE Asia to the mix. Selling my car in a couple of months and depending of how much I get for it, ill hit the road for 2-3 months. :D Cant wait to start planning.

This is what im doing as well! except Im adding SE Asia to the mix. Selling my car in a couple of months and depending of how much I get for it, ill hit the road for 2-3 months. :D Cant wait to start planning.

That sounds so awesome! Can't wait to make a trip to Asia some day. My SO and I are going to Canada for spring break... Can't wait for that too!

I'm super lucky because my airfare and EuroRail pass for this summer are me and my cousin's graduation present from our grandparents. It's going to be a blast! I've already started treadmill walking with my backpack.. It's going to take a while to condition myself to be able to walk long distances with that much weight in my back :p

Lol I'm not even accepted yet (?!) but I've been thinking about what I want to do this summer for a looong time.
I'm also going to be traveling Europe! A friend and I are planning a 2 month trip and it's going to be great. :D

Lol I'm not even accepted yet (?!) but I've been thinking about what I want to do this summer for a looong time.
I'm also going to be traveling Europe! A friend and I are planning a 2 month trip and it's going to be great. :D

Maybe we'll see each other!! ;)

That sounds so awesome! Can't wait to make a trip to Asia some day. My SO and I are going to Canada for spring break... Can't wait for that too!

I'm super lucky because my airfare and EuroRail pass for this summer are me and my cousin's graduation present from our grandparents. It's going to be a blast! I've already started treadmill walking with my backpack.. It's going to take a while to condition myself to be able to walk long distances with that much weight in my back :p
Do yourself a favor and bring some moleskin, duct tape, pantyhose, and invest in a few nice pairs of socks (to accompany the extra nice pair of boots, of course). You and your feet will thank me later.

Do yourself a favor and bring some moleskin, duct tape, pantyhose, and invest in a few nice pairs of socks (to accompany the extra nice pair of boots, of course). You and your feet will thank me later.

I asked for some smart wool socks for Christmas.. LOVE them already! Exofficio are awesome travel undies too. I'm going to invest in a nice pair of walking tennis type shoes (touristy, I know), and I got some really nice foot-supporting walking sandals. Boots are kind of heavy for where we will be going I think. Didn't think of duct tape or moleskin, but that's a great idea!

I asked for some smart wool socks for Christmas.. LOVE them already! Exofficio are awesome travel undies too. I'm going to invest in a nice pair of walking tennis type shoes (touristy, I know), and I got some really nice foot-supporting walking sandals. Boots are kind of heavy for where we will be going I think. Didn't think of duct tape or moleskin, but that's a great idea!
Oh boy, tennis shoes for cross-country backpacking? You're not going powerwalking at the mall with your grandparents, but good luck! :whoa:

And find some bodyglide. Why? Because chafe. :mooning::flame: That's why.

Oh boy, tennis shoes for cross-country backpacking? You're not going powerwalking at the mall with your grandparents, but good luck! :whoa:

And find some bodyglide. Why? Because chafe. :mooning::flame: That's why.

Lol! We are staying in each county about a week, trying to stick to a few cities each country. I'm planning for more of a "quality" trip over quantity, because I'll be back to Europe some day! It's hard not trying to see everything though. 8 countries doesn't seem like too many when looking at the map. And thankfully we will have trains to take us from place to place. With all of the research I've done, I think good walking shoes are better for the kind of things we will be doing :)

Hopefully we will be able to master everything for less learning curves next time we go together!

I went on a 7 week Europe trip the summer before I started vet school and it was the BEST decision I ever made to do that!

I wasn't full on backpacking, I had a suitcase that had backpack straps but could also roll so I guess I cheated. I also took some planes and mostly Eurorail and stayed in hostels.

Some tips:
- Be prepared for any weather condition. I went from 100+ degrees in Italy to about 40 degrees in Denmark, so just because it's summer don't assume you won't need at least one set of warm clothes!
- Don't overpack! Seriously! This times a million! I literally ended up just ditching a bunch of clothes at my hostel in Prague because I was so tired of lugging around so much stuff. Just because you're under the flight weight limit doesn't mean you should bring it all. There are laundromats around and some hostels have laundry as well. Pack light!
- If you do a lot of preplanning (like, book your train trips and hostels ahead of time) make sure to print out maps for how to get from the train station to the hostel. I'm not saying I spent 2 hours lost in Florence wandering aimlessly because I didn't print out the map to my hostel there... but I definitely did and it was a horrible feeling.
- Go with a friend or relative or someone if you can! I had different people join me for different parts of my trip and it's great to have someone to talk to, take pictures with, etc. I had one small stay in Berlin without a buddy and I was kind of miserable. Luckily I had filled up my time there with bike tours and other things to do but as it was near the end of my trip and I was already getting homesick, it just would have been better to have someone to chat with about the day when you get back to the hostel.
- Keens. Seriously, I wore my Keens pretty much every day on my trip, they were super comfortable, could handle me walking on them for hours every day, and let my feet breathe in hot weather. Probably not the most attractive shoe, and it left me with some awesome leopard printed tan lines, but whatever, I love my Keens.
- Free tours! A lot of major cities will have free tours that you can go on. The tour guides do an amazing job (basically their salary depends on tips, so they work hard to earn them!) and you can pay whatever you want or think the guide has earned. They don't shame you for underpaying or anything either. I did most of mine through http://www.neweuropetours.eu/ but there are also others out there.
- Enjoy it! Seriously, probably the best 7 weeks of my life and if my stupid sister hadn't decided to have her bachelorette party the weekend I got back I probably would have stayed longer.

I'm jealous of you all and wish I could go on another one :)

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions about my trip! I love talking about it :D

So excited I get to post in this thread now !
Move to area- May/June
1. Do a few endurance rides
2. Work
3. Work
4. Sleep ?

Make money and go on soooo many backpacking trips!

Continuing work in the lab until early July... wahhh :arghh:. And then taking a month to mooch off of my parents and in-laws while my wife and I kick it! Muahahaha! But seriously, before we start school (my wife is starting medical school; yes, we're crazy) we'll probably be getting familiar with our first semester of coursework and maybe taking another trip down to Panama/Costa Rica to hang out with her family before going on life hiatus for four years...

Not entirely sure yet. I don't want to stay at my current job at all, but I know I'm not going to find a new one that would wanna keep me around just for the summer. I have a feeling my current job will say no when I ask for full time (I've been asking for more hours since the summer, and I still only work twice (sometimes only once) per week. But then again, I know I wouldn't enjoy working there full time. It's fine being there part-time, but I don't have a good relationship with the staff (they're very cliquey and I'm not part of that clique), so I don't think I could stand being around them all the time. Unfortunately, saving money before school is probably the right choice, and the discounts for veterinary care are solid.

Well with that rant over, on the bright side, I plan on quitting at least a month early to travel. Hoping to go to Maine or Disney (or both, if we can afford it) with my SO, and my mom said she'd take me to Napa Valley this summer too, so that should all be fun! :)

Summer Plans: attempt to transport myself and 4 dogs to the British Isles

Summer plans definitely include enjoying time with family, friends, and my boyfriend. Since I'm moving to Canada and won't be able to come home very often, I'm hoping to travel around a little bit! Get to some baseball games, both professional and my brother's travel team. Trying to enjoy it as much as possible!

Continuing work in the lab until early July... wahhh :arghh:. And then taking a month to mooch off of my parents and in-laws while my wife and I kick it! Muahahaha! But seriously, before we start school (my wife is starting medical school; yes, we're crazy) we'll probably be getting familiar with our first semester of coursework and maybe taking another trip down to Panama/Costa Rica to hang out with her family before going on life hiatus for four years...
Just curious, is your wife going to med school at Penn too?

Just curious, is your wife going to med school at Penn too?

Dear God I wish the answer to that question were yes... Unfortunately, she didn't end up applying to Perelman (Penn Med), as their average gpa is around a 3.9 and their average MCAT is in the 99th percentile (totally off the charts). She has an acceptance at Carver (University of Iowa), U Pitt (similar admissions stats to Penn, she's kicking herself now for not applying), and interviews at UVA and VT Carilion coming up next week. We're going to be separated for four years, it seems. If she attends U Pitt and does well, she could likely transfer to Penn, but I would never ask her to do something like that (i.e. leaving behind her first-year "battle buddies" and starting over with a new group of people). We know it will be difficult (there will likely be heartache and tears, at times), but we each want to see the other excel just as much as we want it for ourselves. We're thinking that four years isn't too much in exchange for a lifetime of personal/professional satisfaction and success, so hopefully we aren't being too naive in our calculations.

P.S. I'm pretty sure I'll end up attending Penn, but I won't swear by it, yet.

We know it will be difficult (there will likely be heartache and tears, at times), but we each want to see the other excel just as much as we want it for ourselves. We're thinking that four years isn't too much in exchange for a lifetime of personal/professional satisfaction and success, so hopefully we aren't being too naive in our calculations.

For what it's worth, the fact that you're both pursuing something you're really passionate about will make the long distance slightly easier to bear. Hopefully you will both be busy enough that the distance won't seem as bad, and that when you do have free time for breaks, you can travel to see each other! The heartache and tears are avoidable, but your relationship will be that much stronger at the end of it all.
(Take it from someone whose relationship has been mostly long distance for 5 ish years.)

Whatever your wife decides to do, I hope that everything works out well for you!

Dear God I wish the answer to that question were yes... Unfortunately, she didn't end up applying to Perelman (Penn Med), as their average gpa is around a 3.9 and their average MCAT is in the 99th percentile (totally off the charts). She has an acceptance at Carver (University of Iowa), U Pitt (similar admissions stats to Penn, she's kicking herself now for not applying), and interviews at UVA and VT Carilion coming up next week. We're going to be separated for four years, it seems. If she attends U Pitt and does well, she could likely transfer to Penn, but I would never ask her to do something like that (i.e. leaving behind her first-year "battle buddies" and starting over with a new group of people). We know it will be difficult (there will likely be heartache and tears, at times), but we each want to see the other excel just as much as we want it for ourselves. We're thinking that four years isn't too much in exchange for a lifetime of personal/professional satisfaction and success, so hopefully we aren't being too naive in our calculations.

Ah, well best of luck to both of you! My boyfriend and I will probably be long distance for the whole four years as well, unless he decides to go to grad school at K-State, which I highly doubt (he likes to make lots of cracks about Kansas being boring :p). I'm sure it's different being married and both of you in professional school, but there are people who've made it work! I've been in long-distance relationships twice before and both ended badly, but I'm oddly really calm and optimistic about it this time, considering I've said before that I would NEVER do long-distance again. But in my past relationships we were young and immature and relying on parents to be able to visit each other, so that really didn't help.

My only summer plan/hope is to live in Nebraska for at least a month to spend quality time with my boyfriend. He will be stationed there for the air force and once vet school starts I wont have much time. Only problem is he most likely will have to live on base so I have to afford to live on my own. Maybe an extended stay Marriott or something.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

I'm filling my summer with activities with my kids since I'll see them so much less when school starts. Swimming, splash pad, park, museum, gym, etc. We're going to Disneyland in May/June!

I'm trying to save for a volunteer trip to Africa. I don't know if I will come up with the money.

Just curious, how does everyone afford to travel? I grew up extremely poor and now I'm a single mom, so I have never even been out of the country. But I often see people my age that work minimum wage jobs or not at all take long trips out of the country. I guess I'm just naive to how people fund things since I've never seen money in my life haha.

At this point of the semester, I'd really just like to sleep for two months. But I'm really going to try to work and save money too. Maybe I can squeeze in a beach trip.