Accepted to 0-6 Pharmacy Program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DoctorateofDave

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey SDN'ers

I just got accepted into a 0-6 accelerated pharm.D program at the University of Findlay (Ohio, USA), and I had a few general questions for those more experienced that myself (so anyone feel free to contribute!) I was also accepted to another University's Honor's Program for Chemistry, which I think would be a good pre-pharm route...

1.) Do any of you recommend going the "accelerated" route? Or is the traditional route better?
2.) How does anyone foot this BILL?! We're talking 48k/year x 6 years?!

Also, general talk thread, what's up SDN? :)

Members don't see this ad.

If you can handle the rigorous program, the go ahead. It is a doctorate program so expect graduate level workload.

As for the cost, I've seen various thread about this. We are talking 288K in debt by the time you get out. I would suggest to continue exploring other pharmacy schools especially the ones local for you. Local pharmacy schools tend to have way cheaper tuition plus you may stay at home to lessen the cost for room and board. If you really want your PharmD in six years, then go ahead with the program.

Best of luck!

A reality check is in need here. After loan interest you'll owe ~$400k and might make $100k/year after taxes. The question is, are you really willing to work 4-5 years "for free", essentially netting $0 (assuming you don't work much during school) for 10-11 years of your life? That's your call. I agree with JohnFe that you should look into state schools. Good luck with everything.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey SDN'ers

I just got accepted into a 0-6 accelerated pharm.D program at the University of Findlay (Ohio, USA), and I had a few general questions for those more experienced that myself (so anyone feel free to contribute!) I was also accepted to another University's Honor's Program for Chemistry, which I think would be a good pre-pharm route...

1.) Do any of you recommend going the "accelerated" route? Or is the traditional route better?

48k/year for 6 years?? :eek: crazy! I would not even consider this, but to each their own and you need to do what you think is best for you.

Hey SDN'ers

Do not do this, unless your parents are willing to pony up the cash for you so you can graduate with minimal debt (<$150,000, or preferably less than that). I'm not joking around; that's a huge sum of money and it's not going to be affordable to service that debt on a pharmacist's salary.

It is cheaper for someone to get a 4 year degree + pharmacy school later than pay that much per year. If you're set on pharmacy school, I would look into a 2+4 program like Cincinnati where you only pay undergraduate tuition for 2 years then graduate tuition for 4 more. Plus, it's a public university and much cheaper. What will you do if you change your mind about being a pharmacist?

Thanks for all the replies everyone! I definitely am deathly afraid of footing that bill... am considering going the traditional route after all the negative responses.. hmm...

Is there any strategy that could be done if I still did want to go there to minimize my debt? Work as a tech maybe? I also at one point heard of a program where if you promised a chain retail pharmacy you'd work for them they'd help? Experts?? :rolleyes:

They also offer a dual MBA/Pharm.D program at Findlay, maybe that would help outset the costs? The idea of spending a decade paying off my school bill doesn't sound too nice, though I suppose it is possible!

How else does anyone afford this? :eek:

I'm sweatin' a little now! :confused:

Thanks for all the replies everyone! I definitely am deathly afraid of footing that bill... am considering going the traditional route after all the negative responses.. hmm...

Is there any strategy that could be done if I still did want to go there to minimize my debt? Work as a tech maybe? I also at one point heard of a program where if you promised a chain retail pharmacy you'd work for them they'd help? Experts?? :rolleyes:

They also offer a dual MBA/Pharm.D program at Findlay, maybe that would help outset the costs? The idea of spending a decade paying off my school bill doesn't sound too nice, though I suppose it is possible!

How else does anyone afford this? :eek:

I'm sweatin' a little now! :confused:

If you're considering a traditional path instead, my advice is to go to a community college to complete your pre-reqs. Apply to schools that only require 60 credits/an AA. Work as a tech if you can to gain experience and cash.

If you want to go to this expensive program, get the best paying part-time job you can. Live cheaply, apply for any scholarships the school offers or any outside scholarships you can find. Are you working somewhere now? Maybe they offer tuition reimbursement. Network like crazy during school so you can graduate with a good-paying job and start paying down your debt. Hopefully your parents can help a bit because otherwise you're going to be taking on a ton of scary debt. Good luck.

If you're considering a traditional path instead, my advice is to go to a community college to complete your pre-reqs. Apply to schools that only require 60 credits/an AA.

Good advice. Some students look down to CC but thats what I did and had no problem getting accepted everywhere I applied. In the fall, I will be entering pharmacy school with 0 debt :)

If you're considering a traditional path instead, my advice is to go to a community college to complete your pre-reqs. Apply to schools that only require 60 credits/an AA. Work as a tech if you can to gain experience and cash.

This is the way to go.

On a side note, I may have rushed my thinking in my earlier post. If you're going the traditional route where a bachelor's is necessary (4+4), then time vs. debt looks the same for the 0+6 program. Basically, you'll be able to work 2 additional years to offset the cost of the 0+6, and end up with a similar amount of debt as the traditional route. I'd do the math to see which is more costly. But above all, I'd go to a CC and state pharmacy school and use the other options as a last resort.

Is it tougher to get accepted with 2 years/AA education?? Almost everyone has BS/BA already :/

Is it tougher to get accepted with 2 years/AA education?? Almost everyone has BS/BA already :/

The school I'm applying to says that 85%+ of accepted students have their BA/BS. That number will only go up. So yeah it would suck to go to a CC for 2 years and not be able to apply if most schools require bachelor's in a few years. OP has a tough choice.

Money talks. Psh. I just did some fast calculations for his loan payments (finaid.org). If he didn't get help from his parents or work at least part time, He would owe 288K in debt by the time he graduate. I put it 288K in 6.8% interest and subsidized so the calculations should be somewhat higher. Anyway, in 10 years he will pay $397,717.80 (109K interest). Woah.

Members don't see this ad :)
On a side note, I may have rushed my thinking in my earlier post. If you're going the traditional route where a bachelor's is necessary (4+4), then time vs. debt looks the same for the 0+6 program. Basically, you'll be able to work 2 additional years to offset the cost of the 0+6, and end up with a similar amount of debt as the traditional route. I'd do the math to see which is more costly. But above all, I'd go to a CC and state pharmacy school and use the other options as a last resort.

I agree..getting a BS for 4 years at a private university could be ($25,000 x 4=$100,000)...then you'd start pharm at (~$45,000 x 4=$180000) for a total of $280,000. Or the route at the school the OP got accepted to ($48,000 x 6=$288,000) but *2 years earlier*. Knowing that you'd likely be done 2 years earlier than any other route that you take w/ a 'theoretical earning potential' of $200,000 for those years should be a consideration.

CC/State school is good in theory but it depends on where you live whether that is realistic or not. Where I am at..the # of students versus the number of available classes makes it extremely difficult to get the classes you need. I had a friend who started doing this and was told by an advisor that it would realistically take SIX YEARS for her to get enough credit seniority to start registering for the classes she needed and complete them. As another option, you could look into doing your gen ed classes at CC first since it's easier to take random classes as long as they fit the categories..social science, english, etc. to save $ and then transfer to a university to get a BS.

But if it were me and I liked the 0-6 school..I would just go for it. As a ~24 y/o pharmacist you'll be ahead of the game, having wasted less money and time than I actually did...so why not? :) Good luck with your decisions!

I agree..getting a BS for 4 years at a private university could be ($25,000 x 4=$100,000)...then you'd start pharm at (~$45,000 x 4=$180000) for a total of $280,000. Or the route at the school the OP got accepted to ($48,000 x 6=$288,000) but *2 years earlier*. Knowing that you'd likely be done 2 years earlier than any other route that you take w/ a 'theoretical earning potential' of $200,000 for those years should be a consideration.

CC/State school is good in theory but it depends on where you live whether that is realistic or not. Where I am at..the # of students versus the number of available classes makes it extremely difficult to get the classes you need. I had a friend who started doing this and was told by an advisor that it would realistically take SIX YEARS for her to get enough credit seniority to start registering for the classes she needed and complete them. As another option, you could look into doing your gen ed classes at CC first since it's easier to take random classes as long as they fit the categories..social science, english, etc. to save $ and then transfer to a university to get a BS.

But if it were me and I liked the 0-6 school..I would just go for it. As a ~24 y/o pharmacist you'll be ahead of the game, having wasted less money and time than I actually did...so why not? :) Good luck with your decisions!

Hmm. Good point. I guess I've been very lucky. I finished all my pre-reqs when I was a junior in college. I was very smart when I chose a degree because not everyone was doing microbiology (gen. biology was the popular one). But I guess either way the OP will be fine :oops:

At almost every interview I went to, they stated they gave preference to students holding a bachelor's degree or will have one before they matriculate.

I did apply to one program that wouldn't accept community college courses for completing pre-reqs so make sure to check the requirements for schools you are interested in.

Hey guys OP here, sorry I've been off and about. Findlay offered me a $15,000/year scholarship (I think it's only for four years though), and if I play in their jazz band I may get a little more money (~2000).. I'm highly considering it...

Thanks for all the replies too, as I'm sure many of you know, it's a huge decision, and these types of loans and commitment are not to be taken lightly!!! :eek:

Realize that Findlay is not one of the four original pharmacy schools in Ohio and that attending Findlay (or NEOUCOP) has negative connotations within the state---I'm talking about hospital practice here.

Hey guys OP here, sorry I've been off and about. Findlay offered me a $15,000/year scholarship (I think it's only for four years though), and if I play in their jazz band I may get a little more money (~2000).. I'm highly considering it...

2k is a drop in the bucket, though, and I wouldn't count on playing much jazz after you're in the pharmacy curriculum. It might be doable, but you can't count on it yet.

Realize that Findlay is not one of the four original pharmacy schools in Ohio and that attending Findlay (or NEOUCOP) has negative connotations within the state---I'm talking about hospital practice here.

Could you perhaps expand on this? I'm very interested from someone with experience

2k is a drop in the bucket, though, and I wouldn't count on playing much jazz after you're in the pharmacy curriculum. It might be doable, but you can't count on it yet.

So true, but the first few undergrad years I bet the 2k ticket would be helpful perhaps:confused:

Could you perhaps expand on this? I'm very interested from someone with experience

We have 70 pharmacists on staff at my community hospital. We currently have exactly one pharmacist from a "new school". That pharmacist happens to be an under represented minority and our only under represented professional. He's a fine professional. I'm just saying its very difficult to get an opportunity as a graduate of a new school.