Accepted to bu and rutgers. Which mph concentration is right for me?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Which conc gets u more jobs higher pay wise and h1b sponsorhsip

• Hpm

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Epidemiology

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters

Drshrujai

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello.

I am a doctor from india. I have close to 5 yrs of work experience with novartis in the drug safety dept. pharmacovigilance expert to be specific. I applied to boston univ for spring 2015.(hpm) i also got accepted to the rutgers urban health admin program. I have currently deferred my admission to both as i am awaiting decisons from emory and hopkins and univ of north carolina.

Firstly if i do get in to the other schools too.. Which would be the best to go with?

Secondly i am on a h4 visa and gettin a decent paying job would be my first priority. I am open to both epidemiology and hpm? Which of these concentrations opens more doors for a job that is high paying along with an opportunity to get a sponsorship for a h1 b. I am unable to decide which is better epi or hpm.

Boston is terribly expensive but gives an option of dual concentration and also has an added pharmaceuticals certification program.
Can some one please guide on which concentration would be better or me considering my background.

I want to go back to the pharma sector or attach to a hospital.

Members don't see this ad.

What is your reasoning behind wanting either degree? In terms of pay, you're generally going to find better paying jobs in HPM than epidemiology. However, I don't know that it would necessarily better your chances to get sponsorship for an h1b. Something you should consider is if you can't find a job here, which will give you better opportunities in India?

What is your reasoning behind wanting either degree? In terms of pay, you're generally going to find better paying jobs in HPM than epidemiology. However, I don't know that it would necessarily better your chances to get sponsorship for an h1b. Something you should consider is if you can't find a job here, which will give you better opportunities in India?

Epidemiology makes sense if i want to go back to the pharma sector, also considering my 5 year work exp in drug safety and epidemiology. I was also open to making a slight career switch from what i have been doing, and found HPM an interesting field. the only thing stopping me is, do international students with hpm concentration get jobs and sponsrships easily ... or an epidemiology with knowledge of SAS would make me more marketable and give me a higher chance of getting a job. I will be taking a student loan, so the pay is important to me. i think an epi degree would help more in india. i would like to repay my loans asap and look to going back to india 5 years down the line.

Members don't see this ad :)
Epidemiology makes sense if i want to go back to the pharma sector, also considering my 5 year work exp in drug safety and epidemiology. I was also open to making a slight career switch from what i have been doing, and found HPM an interesting field. the only thing stopping me is, do international students with hpm concentration get jobs and sponsrships easily ... or an epidemiology with knowledge of SAS would make me more marketable and give me a higher chance of getting a job. I will be taking a student loan, so the pay is important to me. i think an epi degree would help more in india. i would like to repay my loans asap and look to going back to india 5 years down the line.

I would imagine that an epi degree would be much more transferable were you to move back to India. HPM would teach you a lot about US policy and healthcare. I don't know that something like that would provide you much job opportunity back in India. As I mentioned, both will get you jobs that have decent pay, but I really can't speak to how easy it will be to get sponsorship with either. Good luck on whatever you choose!

I would imagine that an epi degree would be much more transferable were you to move back to India. HPM would teach you a lot about US policy and healthcare. I don't know that something like that would provide you much job opportunity back in India. As I mentioned, both will get you jobs that have decent pay, but I really can't speak to how easy it will be to get sponsorship with either. Good luck on whatever you choose!

Hi

L ike mentioned earlier, Ihave been accepted to the MPH health policy at BU. i also got into rutgers dual MBA /MPH(urban health administration) . I am not sure if i should go for the higher ranked program at BU or the dual degree at rutgers. If any insights plz share . I would be paying for both out of my pocket. BU would make 1.5 to 2 years and dual degree is 2.5 or so. The cost of BU would be approx 100000. I am an international student and a job with a sponsorship is my ultimate aim.I am a physician with 4.5 years of pharma experience in India.

@Drshrujai: Please don't post the same topic to multiple different threads. Keep it consolidated to this thread.

You should go to the school that fits the education needs for your career. Hospital and pharma are fairly different tracks. Look at what types of jobs graduates from each program go to. That's a good place to start.