Accepted & transferring to Tufts - need advice!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

VeganChick

Tufts University V'13
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I am going to be transferring from Ross to Tufts this fall and was wondering if anyone could give me some advice/thoughts on life there! I leave St. Kitts on August 21 and start at Tufts on August 23 so I have a million things to do before I arrive. I am particularly looking for advice on housing in the North Grafton area!

Thanks so much!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi!
Congrats!
Go to the student section of the tufts vet website and go to the housing link if you don't know the login/pw PM and I will send it to you. You can also look on craig's list.

If you are interested in a one bedroom apartment PM me and I will send you contact info.

On the housing site at the bottom the numbers in parenthesis are the miles from tufts to that town so that will give you an idea of how long it will take to get to school. In general Worcester can be sketchy in places so I would avoid it if you can. All the boro and bury towns are decent/nice places to live.

Members don't see this ad :)
Congratz!! I found my new roommate/house last week by looking on the facebook page Tufts Vet School Class of 2014. I know you'd be in 2013, and I think there are a few 13ers in the group too.

Thanks everyone! I am BEYOND ecstatic! I do get to reunite my fur family (I have two kitties with me here and will have my other three kitties and my dog rejoining me, yay!)

I have looked at the Housing website and have seen a couple of places that I want to make inquiries about. I was kind of hoping to live alone since I have so many pets and, well, I just like to live by myself :D.

I will definitely hit up the FB page though, thanks BH!

OMG, did I mention how EXCITED I am??!!:soexcited:

Congrats!!! :D that's amazing! Very happy for you!!

I always live on my own too, because of all my animals. You sound exactly like me, my parents think I am crazy to be a starving student and have a cat, two dogs, and a horse... but... I can't not have my fur family!:love: that must have been hard being away from your other cats and dog!

Congrats & welcome to our class!!!! :D

Thanks Guppy!

Hey, maybe you can tell me what the schedule is like? I am anxious to know what classes I will be taking.

It is SO hard to focus on my classes right now! I have a million and one things to do regarding moving and having to still be a FT student is just getting in my way :laugh:.

If you log into TUSK the schedules are up for 2nd years :)

Members don't see this ad :)
That's awesome, congratulations!

How did you manage to pull off the transfer? I thought that was really really uncommon.

There are a couple of folks in my class that are transferring but a lot more that applied to and didn't get in. I actually got accepted to ISU as a transfer as well as did two others in my class (I heard ISU accepted a total of three transfer students). LSU accepted one transfer this year (no one from Ross), OKSU accepted one (a classmate of mine but he turned them down for ISU and the replacement transfer is not from Ross), KSU and Oregon had no open spots, I still haven't heard from UGA and WSU yet (I heard that UGA had two spots), a classmate of mine is going to Illinois and another classmate of mine also got accepted to Tufts. So, it is not easy. I spent all spring break doing applications - essays, transcripts, recomenndations, that whole nine yards. But what it came down to, I am not sure. Grades, absolutely. But for Tufts specifically, I am pretty sure that it extended beyond grades. I don't know. But for every school, if there are no spaces open, then there is no consideration anyway. So I guess I would have to say LUCK is how I managed to pull it off :luck:.

A quick note for other Caribbean students who are coming here with the intent to transfer... please don't expect to or you will be extremely disappointed if you don't get in. I have classmates who expected to transfer after a year and have lived here with that attitude and now they are even more unhappy. I knew I was going to apply but I knew the chances were slim so I didn't really plan on it. Granted, it is now harder for me to sell all my stuff but I would rather have that problem than be doubly-miserable here for another year plus.

Ok, one more time...did I mention how ECSTATIC I am??!!

If you log into TUSK the schedules are up for 2nd years :)

Yeah, what she said--I've been away the past couple of days. :) But feel free to PM me if you have any questions. Congrats once again!

(I heard that UGA had two spots)

That is correct we lost 2 people this year. Both left for personal reasons.

So happy for you VeganChick...would have loved to have you join us down south but I know your happy about Tufts! Keep us updated. :D

Thanks LVT2DVM...I am glad to hear from you. I saw your post on the C/O 2013 and was wondering how you are doing.

CONGRATS VeganChick! I was wondering how you were doing down there. Great job and good luck with the move!

Hello!
I saw this thread and I'm still currently looking for housing and am a 2014 entering Tufts student, I know I'm a little behind but if there are any other vet students out there that are looking for a roommate I'd love to hear about them. I really can't afford to room by myself, and I prefer to be around other students :)

Hello!
I saw this thread and I'm still currently looking for housing and am a 2014 entering Tufts student, I know I'm a little behind but if there are any other vet students out there that are looking for a roommate I'd love to hear about them. I really can't afford to room by myself, and I prefer to be around other students :)

Hi, frodoniku!

If you haven't done this already, check Facebook--there are pages up for the classes of 2013 & 2014. I believe that some members of my class have posted on the 2014 page about housing, so you might have some luck there. You may also be able to find other 2014-ers in your situation. Good luck!:)

Hello!

Hey I'm also starting at Tufts this year! The facebook group is at http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=358172617998&ref=ts. Two 2014ers just recently posted that they had two rooms available in their 4 bedroom house.

Also, I see you're from St. Petersburg. I went to high school there! How exciting! I'm from Canada, but I've been living in the south for 10 years, so I'm definitely going to have to readjust to the weather in the rural outskirts of Boston haha!

Thanks guppy73 and RunTheWorld! That is an awesome find that house, I'll definitely get in touch with them!

Wow small world! Which high school did you go to? Haha yeah I'm definitely going to have to adjust to the weather as I've never lived anywhere besides FL. Looking forward to meeting you guys ^_^