Accepting Two Seats?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pomeranian

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I accepted a seat and paid the deposit to my top choice vet school a few weeks ago. However, today I got off the waitlist for a school that is significantly cheaper and am debating whether or not I should go there instead. They are giving me only until tomorrow to decide if I want to accept the seat or not, but I have not visited the school and would really like to visit it before I officially decide if I want to go there (I won't be able to visit it until after their seat acceptance deadline). I was wondering if I could accept their seat/pay the deposit while having accepted a seat at my top choice school and later reject one of the seats after I visit the school that just accepted me? Has anyone been in this situation before? Please no comments about going to the cheaper school; I only want feedback about accepting 2 seats at once and then rejecting one after the April 15th deadline. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I accepted a seat and paid the deposit to my top choice vet school a few weeks ago. However, today I got off the waitlist for a school that is significantly cheaper and am debating whether or not I should go there instead. They are giving me only until tomorrow to decide if I want to accept the seat or not, but I have not visited the school and would really like to visit it before I officially decide if I want to go there (I won't be able to visit it until after their seat acceptance deadline). I was wondering if I could accept their seat/pay the deposit while having accepted a seat at my top choice school and later reject one of the seats after I visit the school that just accepted me? Has anyone been in this situation before? Please no comments about going to the cheaper school; I only want feedback about accepting 2 seats at once and then rejecting one after the April 15th deadline. Thanks!
Yes you can do that. That's how waitlists continue to move well into summer. Of course you'll lose your deposits.

It's your offer and you can do with it what you want. Since you can't visit the school immediately accept the offer and pay the deposit. When you make up your mind, decline one of your seats.

In the spirit of being courteous to other applicants, just try not to draw out your decision until July or August.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I mean, after April 15th, this happens. People accept what they've been offered, and then may choose to accept a waitlist offer. You generally call the other school right away, though. I don't know that there would be negative ramifications for you or anything, it's just probably not the most professional or well-thought out plan. How long do you plan to keep this school going?

Since you don't want to hear the cheapest tuition speech, just know that you will get a quality education from any AVMA accredited schools. Your top choice school isn't going to help you buy a home in 10 years, though.

Reactions: 3 users
Thanks for the feedback guys. In terms of the whole buying a house in 10 years thing, my dad is generously paying for the cost of attendance for whichever school I choose...so it doesn't really apply to me, which is why I didn't want to hear any comments about picking the cheaper school solely based on cost. I just wanted to reprieve him of the extra cost of going to my top choice if I visited the cheaper school and liked it enough to go there anyways :).

Thanks for the feedback guys. In terms of the whole buying a house in 10 years thing, my dad is generously paying for the cost of attendance for whichever school I choose...so it doesn't really apply to me, which is why I didn't want to hear any comments about picking the cheaper school solely based on cost. I just wanted to reprieve him of the extra cost of going to my top choice if I visited the cheaper school and liked it enough to go there anyways :).
Wow, that is very fortunate. You will be doing pretty good after you're out of vet school without the headache of repayment of loans.

Well, just because you don't want to hear it doesn't me we are banned from saying it. Just make sure you're doing this in a timely matter.

Wow, that is very fortunate. You will be doing pretty good after you're out of vet school without the headache of repayment of loans.

Not that unusual. 1 out of every 10 vet students graduate with no debt. When you hear the "avg debt" number that's floated around ($140k-$150k nowadays) that's always the avg debt of students who have debt.

Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.