Accidentally filling a fake CII script without knowing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SpartanLaser

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just caught 2 fake cII scripts in a row on 2 consecutive working days and it gave me quite a wake up call.

Now I am wondering, in california, is there any legal consequences for a pharmacist, if say, I filled a fake CII without knowing and it was discovered later? Is this basis for revocation of license?

Members don't see this ad.

Not in Cali, but usually no one will care if you did it unknowingly. "Corresponding Responsibility" is a DEA not a BOP issue and they would be more likely to target people who intentionally ignore warning signs.

I think that any pharmacist who has been doing this for any length of time has a story about being duped. We had some really creative/resourceful drug dealers target my store for a few months, and it took us a while to catch on, so I have several from my short time in retail.

I am intentionally cooperative with law enforcement on this kind of thing. I always provided copies to local law and the DEA for any that I confirmed were fake later, even if I filled them. I never had a LEO say anything but "thank you."

My first week I filled a fake script for oxycodone because I didn't know any better.

Members don't see this ad :)
Some RPhs worry way too much. Put it this way, unless you're actually filling fake script after fake script after fake script ON PURPOSE, knowingly, for a period of time to try and get drugs to drug abusers, nothing will happen to you. Believe that.

Just look for the red flags. If the guy lives 100 miles from your store, has an insane quantity like let's say #360 of oxy 30's, doesn't appear to be in any sort of pain, reeks of marijuana, appears easily agitated and hasn't filled anything at your store in the past, then don't fill the prescription. If you do so anyway, and the Dea comes after you, I'd expect them to levy heavy fines on you.

Common sense is key.

Reactions: 1 user
Really?

http://www.pharmacy.ca.gov/publications/corresponding_responsibility.pdf

I filled 120 oxycodone 30mg once as cash. Next day, a whole bunch of other scripts for same thing came in to fill them at the store.

Not in Cali, but usually no one will care if you did it unknowingly. "Corresponding Responsibility" is a DEA not a BOP issue and they would be more likely to target people who intentionally ignore warning signs.

I think that any pharmacist who has been doing this for any length of time has a story about being duped. We had some really creative/resourceful drug dealers target my store for a few months, and it took us a while to catch on, so I have several from my short time in retail.

I am intentionally cooperative with law enforcement on this kind of thing. I always provided copies to local law and the DEA for any that I confirmed were fake later, even if I filled them. I never had a LEO say anything but "thank you."

Last edited:
Really?

http://www.pharmacy.ca.gov/publications/corresponding_responsibility.pdf

I filled 120 oxycodone 30mg once as cash. Next day, a whole bunch of other scripts for same thing came in to fill them at the store.

Eh, yes and no. It's a huge deal to the DEA and that's the only reason the BOP cares so Matt is technically correct. It's not really a BOP issue by itself.

What I don't understand is why you guys would even bother to fill these crazy C2s in the first place, especially you chain guys. I know most of the chains don't tie controlled substances to your script count so all of this stressing is it real or fake blah blah blah adds nothing to your bottom line.

Eh, yes and no. It's a huge deal to the DEA and that's the only reason the BOP cares so Matt is technically correct. It's not really a BOP issue by itself.

What I don't understand is why you guys would even bother to fill these crazy C2s in the first place, especially you chain guys. I know most of the chains don't tie controlled substances to your script count so all of this stressing is it real or fake blah blah blah adds nothing to your bottom line.

Well if they're legit...there are plenty of patients with real, severe pain issues (e.g. cancer) who need these drugs to have any quality of life. Why would you deny them even the opportunity to try and receive them?

For me - if it looks fake or I have suspicions, I call doc or run PMP. If it is not resolved to my satisfaction I won't fill. But I am not going to put a blanket ban on oxy 30s like you are suggesting.

Reactions: 1 users
Well if they're legit...there are plenty of patients with real, severe pain issues (e.g. cancer) who need these drugs to have any quality of life. Why would you deny them even the opportunity to try and receive them?

For me - if it looks fake or I have suspicions, I call doc or run PMP. If it is not resolved to my satisfaction I won't fill. But I am not going to put a blanket ban on oxy 30s like you are suggesting.

Because if they die for one reason or another related to that drug, your license is dust. By the way, something I forgot to mention in my previous post....you don't have to break a board rule to be disciplined by the board. A friend of mine got a DUI in Texas and his license was fined $1000 by the state board of pharmacy in another state where he held a license. BOPs can pretty much act on anything.

Reactions: 1 user
Because if they die for one reason or another related to that drug, your license is dust. By the way, something I forgot to mention in my previous post....you don't have to break a board rule to be disciplined by the board. A friend of mine got a DUI in Texas and his license was fined $1000 by the state board of pharmacy in another state where he held a license. BOPs can pretty much act on anything.

Getting a DUI is against rules in my state...

If you do your due diligence, you are safe. Patients with severe pain deserve to get their drugs. Heartless, bro.

Reactions: 1 users
Some RPhs worry way too much. Put it this way, unless you're actually filling fake script after fake script after fake script ON PURPOSE, knowingly, for a period of time to try and get drugs to drug abusers, nothing will happen to you. Believe that.

All retail pharmacists will do this at some time if they stay at it long enough. As long as you aren't doing it knowingly, or are in cahoots in some other way, you will not get in trouble. BTDTWTT.

As for DWIs, one of my friends from school (who ended up graduating a couple years after me) had her license suspended for getting a DWI and lying about it when she tried to renew her license. Without giving more details that could potentially identify her, this really didn't surprise me. :(