Accredited Online MSW at UNE

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

derrick2005

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Dear All,

I have spent some time online (and here) researching this topic without much success (and maybe that's an answer in itself!)

The University of New England, which I have been able to verify is a great University with a good reputation, now offers a fully Online MSW program whereby the students take care of their field work assignments on their own.

This sounds like a perfect option for me. My schedule is so all over the place that I simply can't commit to the rigorous schedule of a typical MSW. Past research has flagged other online programs as basically being scams.

Does anyone have any knowledge of this program? Are you on it now? Know anyone who is?

I'm not so concerned with keeping up with doing an online Masters degree as i know that I can regulate myself to do that - I just need to ensure that I'm not going to spend a fortune on a course that would ultimately be worthless to me career wise!

Any advice is appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

I took UNE's online program. It's very rigorous. I would make sure you can find a field placement in your area before applying though. You will need to be supervised in field by an MSW with 2 years post-MSW experience, and the placement is 20 hours a week. If you can't find an internship you won't progress, so it's best to know that up front. They can't really help you find a placement since it's distance education.

I just finished my first semester in UNE's online MSW program and so far I think its pretty good but like the other poster said, it is vigorous. If you are disciplined and can manage your time well however, you can do well. I list several accredited online MSW programs on my blog:

http://accreditedonlinemsw.blogspot.com

Like you I was unable to meet the attendance requirement of an on- campus program and needed an online program that was accredited so that I could meet licensing requirements in my state. Keep in mind that UNE (and maybe other online MSW programs) require you to find your own field placement in your community so make sure you know of several places you could intern at. I am in a related field so I would probably be able to do at least one of the required internships through my place of employment. Also very important: make sure whatever online MSW you choose meets your states requirement. Although UNE as well as the others I list on my blog are all CSWE-accredited, each state has their own requirements for licensing of social workers so make sure the program you ultimately choose will help you get licensed. Good luck!

Hi eveyone - I am really interested in hearing more about your experiences of the online UNE program. I am stuck with making the decision to give up my full time employment, get into a traditional track 2 year program to graduate and get out there and find work as soon as possible. (I am an older student and the only one with consistent income between my husband and myself). However I really like online learning and UNE would allow me to work a little longer as the field practium doesnt begin I believe until the second year. I will still however be faced with the problem of giving up work at this time to complete this, but I guess I could at least find full time employment again after this for another year. Also we have one car between us to trying to get to classes on an on campus program and may prove difficult - again the online program would help here. So I am trying to decide whether to draw out the MSW over 4 years or complete in 2.

I am interested in hearing of your experiences regarding this course. Have you managed to find a way to complete the field internships along side work, have your employers been understanding particulalry if they are not in a related field? Do you know of any students who have completed the course and their experinces of licensure - ran into any problems or stigma attached to the course being online. I am based in NJ and I dont think licensure would be a problem. Also I believe the course is 4 years, do you know if there is any way to reduce the length of this? Also when do the intakes take place. I am an older student who has delayed their masters for 4 years now and I am eager to get out and begin working as soon as possible, I also want to work towards clinical licensure so the 4 year track does concern me in terms of length. However I am also realistic regarding finances and my need to support my family through this.

There are a lot of questions above so my apologies! If you would prefer to private message that would be fine.

I have a call with an member of the admissions next week and have watched all of the webinars on the website but I am interested in hearing 'student' experiences.