ACEP 16

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Apollyon

Screw the GST
Lifetime Donor
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, here at ACEP, the vendor fair ended yesterday. I've seen several officers in Class A's, and one or two Air Force officers, but no Navy guys. However, in the recruiting booths, both the Navy and the Air Force only had enlisted recruiters. At the Army booth, there wasn't even anyone in uniform (when I was there). I said to all of them, "what, they wouldn't let you have a doctor come here?" The Air Force woman (all were women, save 1 AF guy) got rather indignant, almost. I asked her how she could explain to prospects, and she gave a canned response.

I talked to an O5 Army guy, and he said it was up to unit commanders now whether people got to go to conferences.

I just found it interesting.

Members don't see this ad.

That's because these things are unnecessary. The military will provide you with everything you need. For example, we just had a great CME course regarding physical therapy after knee replacement, hosted by our in house physical therapists rather than some "big shot" with "publications". As someone who had never and will never have anything to do with knee replacement or physical therapy, I found this very informative. It came with 1 credit hour of CME and it was at 2pm on a Monday on the other side of the instillation rather than in the hospital conference room, so I only had to cancel 12 patients to go. I don't think my academy will accept the credit, but CME is CME, right?? Besides, it's really important that the military not make a "show" of sending their physicians to these conferences. People will start to think that military medicine has a presence....

Reactions: 1 users
I was at ACEP this year... the only person in my specialty at my hospital to go to a conference on the Air Force's dime in at least 4 years. You get CME from your hospital? All I have on the horizon is a CBT module on why I shouldn't beat my wife.

I was at ACEP this year... the only person in my specialty at my hospital to go to a conference on the Air Force's dime in at least 4 years. You get CME from your hospital? All I have on the horizon is a CBT module on why I shouldn't beat my wife.
I was telling someone at ACEP about a slide in a PowerPoint that someone posted here, where it literally said "Don't rape anyone". That's one of those where the slide won't help - if you're not going to do it, you won't, but, if you are, a PowerPoint presentation won't stop you.