ACGME funding question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

j4pac

Prior Flight Surgeon PM&R attending guy
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a friend (yes, it is actually a friend...I'm on my way to residency this summer) who is military and has been approved full-time outservice funding to four different residencies. I know that there are particular programs that are approved more residency spots than they are funded for. Is there a way to identify these programs so that my friend can notify these particular programs? As a guy who went through the match last year I had a handful of residency directors tell me that if I had funding that they could guarantee me a spot in their residency. I'm sure that it's the same for my friend, but it's only a matter of finding the programs out there.

I would appreciate the help.

Members don't see this ad.

It might be easier for this person to have a specialty in mind, and narrow this down by having them know what they are looking for in a program.

I can't remember all the NBME rules on contacting programs.

It's usually easier to have programs you are interested in and then contact each one for more info.

@aProgDirector may be the best one to advise

First things first it's always essential that whatever anyone does it is not a match violation, breach of the rules.

It's good to read all the rules from the website in exquisite detail. There is a period of time (usually before you have started the app) that communications are more free and frank between programs and interested parties. Once you signed up through the match, you have to be careful what you say.

There is no centralized list of how much funding each program has. Solutions:

1. Contact individual programs to ask
2. Apply via ERAS, and make a note of it in the application somewhere (probably in the PS)
3. Could talk to the PD at your home program, who might be able to contact other PD's to ask. This may be specialty specific (and PD specific).

As far as match violations are concerned, there's no issue here. You can tell programs that you come with funding. They can tell you that they will rank you to match (or similar). Ultimately, your friend will still need to match and any program promises are meaningless. If your friend matches at a program and the funding falls through, the program still has to take them -- the match is binding.

Reactions: 1 user
I have a friend (yes, it is actually a friend...I'm on my way to residency this summer) who is military and has been approved full-time outservice funding to four different residencies. I know that there are particular programs that are approved more residency spots than they are funded for. Is there a way to identify these programs so that my friend can notify these particular programs? As a guy who went through the match last year I had a handful of residency directors tell me that if I had funding that they could guarantee me a spot in their residency. I'm sure that it's the same for my friend, but it's only a matter of finding the programs out there.

I would appreciate the help.

Your friend sounds like they are possibly FOS.

You know how the military match works and the results won't be out until December. So they would have had to be a pre-select last year which is not common at all for residencies. An FTOS select for four different residencies all pre-selects would be very rare. If they were a preselect last year they likely would have had to start looking last year because most pgy2 positions in the real world are filled in a "straight through" fashion. If they were a pre-select last year and didn't think that selection process through they need better mentors.

Now, if it's true then they should ask within the specialties where people have gone in the past, that usually gives an idea of some great places to look at.

Thank you for all of the advice. @backrow I understand your skepticism. I try trice to get full-time outservice for PM&R in the Navy and failed. My friends situation is a little bit different than the traditional situation, so I am giving him the benefit of the doubt that he isn't feeding me a line of BS.

@Crayola227 and @aProgDirector, my line of thinking was that if there isn't risk of match violation...I would email every program coordinator under the sun explaining the situation. I'm pretty sure that it would result in multiple invites. As long as it's not a match violation, it wouldn't be a bad strategy. I know I had a few PD's that told me point blank that if I had the funding...I would have a spot at their program. Apparently, quite a few programs want extra bodies but just don't have the funding.

Yeah aPD knows what he's talking about and I wanted to check with him but aside from FREIDA and whatever info you can google on websites, getting info on individual programs is a case by case proposition. You can spend oodles of time researching programs.