ACGME gen surgery DO friendly

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
University of Kansas, University of North Dakota, and Marshfield Clinic have at least one DO resident in their general surgery programs

Members don't see this ad.

U of Florida/Jacksonsville Memorial has DO residents on the regular
Staten Island University Hospital in NY took a DO last year
St. Luke's Roosevelt took a DO for prelim surgery this year
Wellspan Hospital in York, PA is DO friendly

It may be helpful if someone, with some free time, gathered all of the DO matchlists for this year and just made of list of the ACGME gen surg matches; that would be a solid list and give future applicants some idea. You can add on where classmates got ACGME gen surg interviews as well.

It may be helpful if someone, with some free time, gathered all of the DO matchlists for this year and just made of list of the ACGME gen surg matches; that would be a solid list and give future applicants some idea. You can add on where classmates got ACGME gen surg interviews as well.

This would be great. It would give us something to add on to as the years go on as well.

Members don't see this ad :)
This is an awesome thread. It gives aspiring DO surgeons some sense of hope. Prior to reading this, I thought matching ACGME surgery as a DO was close to impossible. I agree with OP that sometimes, we need to put our eggs in one basket and go all out in applying ACGME. Clearly, bias against DO still exists, but it seems even worse in record because not that many of us are willing to take the risk.

I'll update with my experiences after the match. Preliminarily, just let me say this: it's a total crapshoot and the bias is still strong at some places, even with stellar scores, letters, and rank.

Apply widely.

I'll update with my experiences after the match. Preliminarily, just let me say this: it's a total crapshoot and the bias is still strong at some places, even with stellar scores, letters, and rank.

Apply widely.
Care to update us? :)

I met a General Surgery resident at USC-LAC who was a DO.

Reactions: 1 user
Care to update us? :)

I matched into a competitive surgical subspecialty. Work hard and it can be done. The process of receiving interview invites, however, I think still is a total crapshoot (maybe more on the general surgery side).

I matched into a competitive surgical subspecialty. Work hard and it can be done. The process of receiving interview invites, however, I think still is a total crapshoot (maybe more on the general surgery side).
Thank you for responding. Did you do research in med school? And how early in your medical education did you start planning for your specialty?

Thank you for responding. Did you do research in med school? And how early in your medical education did you start planning for your specialty?

I was involved in research and had pending publications and abstracts. I didn't prepare for my specific field because it was a late choice; however, I did prepare from literally day 1 of medical school to be the most competitive applicant I could possibly be. I wanted to have the highest grades, highest board scores, best evals, etc. that I possibly could. I also got involved in research, some of it in my field and some not. All of this was because I thought I was going to go into a different and very competitive surgical subspecialty but I changed my mind and decided to switch from a very competitive to a competitive surgical subspecialty.

Reactions: 2 users
is it true gen surg has the highest attrition rate? why is this?

Does anyone know if University of Rochester considers DO?

Just a quick question about gen surg for a DO. Whether you're applying AOA or ACGME (as a DO), do you need to be in the top 5-10% of your class?

Just a quick question about gen surg for a DO. Whether you're applying AOA or ACGME (as a DO), do you need to be in the top 5-10% of your class?

i didnt think so.. more like top 40

but ppl on sdn are making it seem like top 5 with this merger

You don't need to be top 5% in the class to match general surgery, lol. It's pretty competitive, but being at or above the average of the class is more than enough from a pre-clinical grades standpoint. What's more important is your board scores, and more important than that are your clerkship grades (particularly in surgery) and your letters of rec/audition rotations.

Reactions: 1 users