ACGME rules on being supervised by a clinical psychologist?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DD214_DOC

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently in my last year of c/a fellowship. We pick two supervisors for this year. One, obviously, is a psychiatrist. However, for long-term therapy cases my PD thought it may be possible to be supervised by one of the clinical psychologists in our clinic. I think this would be a useful and interesting experience. Is anyone familiar enough with the ACGME rules about this?

Members don't see this ad.

From the ACGME web site, the RRC requirements for Psychiatry training state:

II.B.4. The nonphysician faculty must have appropriate qualifications in their field and hold appropriate institutional appointments.

So you can infer that psychologists are allowed in your training.
The requirements for therapy supervision state:

IV.A.6.d) Residents must receive a minimum of two hours of direct supervision per week, at least one of which is individual.

So it says nothing about who is qualified, or that it has to be MDs. In fact, the only place I know of that says anything about non DM disciplines is under co-students:

III.D. Appointment of Fellows and Other Learners
The presence of other learners (including, but not limited to, residents from other specialties, subspecialty fellows, PhD students, and nurse practitioners) in the program must not interfere with the appointed residents’ education

So I’m guessing you are good to go. I think our program would lose a lot if psychologist were not part of the teaching.

Reactions: 1 users
Yeah, I think ours would as well. Although we are now a multi-disciplinary department, the psychologists have zero involvement in our education. I am willing to be the guinea pig to change that.

From the ACGME web site, the RRC requirements for Psychiatry training state:

II.B.4. The nonphysician faculty must have appropriate qualifications in their field and hold appropriate institutional appointments.

So you can infer that psychologists are allowed in your training.
The requirements for therapy supervision state:

IV.A.6.d) Residents must receive a minimum of two hours of direct supervision per week, at least one of which is individual.

So it says nothing about who is qualified, or that it has to be MDs. In fact, the only place I know of that says anything about non DM disciplines is under co-students:

III.D. Appointment of Fellows and Other Learners
The presence of other learners (including, but not limited to, residents from other specialties, subspecialty fellows, PhD students, and nurse practitioners) in the program must not interfere with the appointed residents’ education

So I’m guessing you are good to go. I think our program would lose a lot if psychologist were not part of the teaching.

Thank you for this. People have no idea how much therapy training we have.!