Acids and Bases Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ieatshrimp24

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is a TPR question from their online material. Who is correct (me or TPR)? I don't know if my logic is right or not.

Q: At what value of H+ in the blood would the conjugate of sodium naproxen be at its lowest concentration?
A) High concentration of H+
B) Low concentration of H+

My answer: sodium naproxen is a weak base, the conjugate of a weak base is a weak acid. The concentration of a weak acid will decrease as the [H+] increases. Therefore, the answer should be A.

TPR's answer: the concentration of a weak acid will increase in an increasingly acidic environment. Therefore, the answer should be B.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

With extra H+ laying around, more are going to stick to the weak base, turning it into a weak acid.

Or, [H+][A-] <---> [HA], if you increase H+ then le chatalier says the equation will shift to the right.

You do get that these extra H+ are coming from an external source, and not being plucked off of the weak base, right?

With extra H+ laying around, more are going to stick to the weak base, turning it into a weak acid.

Or, [H+][A-] <---> [HA], if you increase H+ then le chatalier says the equation will shift to the right.

You do get that these extra H+ are coming from an external source, and not being plucked off of the weak base, right?
I think I was really sleepy last night. I definitely understand why I was wrong on this one. Thanks!