ACLS certification for pathology?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ludy

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anybody know if path residents are required to be ACLS-certified?

I was trying to stop worrying about the Match results... but ended up starting to worry about other things :)
Now I'm just curious. I think GP posted once that his program doesn't require it, but maybe some others do???

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by Ludy
Anybody know if path residents are required to be ACLS-certified?

I was trying to stop worrying about the Match results... but ended up starting to worry about other things :)
Now I'm just curious. I think GP posted once that his program doesn't require it, but maybe some others do???

What would pathologists need ACLS for? In case you get someone before they're quite ready?

Originally posted by flighterdoc
What would pathologists need ACLS for? In case you get someone before they're quite ready?

Oh ha ha. Another "pathologists love cutting up dead people" joke. Did you know that nearly 99% of all biopsies come from living people? Truth is, I guess some programs might want pathology residents to know ACLS in case they are around during transfusion reactions or pheresis procedures when something goes wrong.

I have to take ACLS as a requirement for graduation this spring (in april). So I guess I might be able to get out of taking it wherever I end up. Regardless, I guess I'll be certified, otherwise I won't even graduate. Curse these unnecessary regulations!

Originally posted by flighterdoc

It seems like some hospitals just require all their physicians to be ACLS-certified, and they don't make exceptions for any particular group. And, as yaah points out, if pathologists run the apheresis unit in that hospital, it certainly can't hurt to have as some of those patients can be pretty sick.

I looked at several GME websites; some specifically exclude pathologists from the requirement, and others require ACLS for everyone. Guess I'll find out soon enough if I need it or not...