ACOFP Conference in Puerto Rico and Zika

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mabinante

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am sure you are aware that there is a Level 2 CDC travel warning for the Caribbean, including Puerto Rico, for the Zika pandemic. The ACOFP conference this year, required for ABOFP certification, will be held in April in Puerto Rico.

We have a resident in our program that will be 25 weeks at that time and doesn't feel comfortable traveling. Others of us have plans to have children in the near future or actively trying to conceive. We have been in touch with the ACOFP that is willing to waive the requirement to attend the conference. However, the OMM practical which is administered during the conference is still required. The alternative testing dates are in May and September of this year. Apparently the May dates have filled and we would be unable to graduate this summer if we take the test in September.

Below is an email from our chief residents. If you would please take some time to write the ABOFP/ACOFP that would be very nice. They told our chief that if enough people speak up, they will open up more dates for the May testing.

Thanks in advance! Please forward our other colleagues at DO FP programs.

The Puerto Rico - Zika Virus conflict has been a challenge, but their might be light at the end of the tunnel if we work together.

Currently, the ACOFP, will allow you to waive the " Conference Requirement" if you email Bina Mehta: [email protected].

But the AOBFP is digging in their heels about adding additional test dates for those who don't feel safe going to the conference. Dr.Schneider (our PD) has called a bunch of important folks at the AOA , ACOFP, and AOBFP and they have said that the AOBFP is not going to find alternative test dates unless we each write them a letter requesting additional spots at the Chicago May 14, 2016 test date.

I know that some of you may not mind going to Puerto Rico, and are actually looking forward to it. But I need your support, please. If you could write a letter of concern requesting additional testing options for 5/2016 because you feel unsafe going to Puerto Rico for yourself, wife, or future unborn children, I would really appreciate it. The board said if they receive enough resident requests they will open up at least 400 more spots for those who don't feel safe going to Puerto Rico.

You need to say:

"Attention: Joseph P. McNerney and Kieren Knapp - in regards to Zika Virus in Puerto Rico"

Write about a paragraph (or more if you feel inclined) about your concerns for going to Puerto rico

and Email to: [email protected]

........and if you have time Also "Snail mail" to:

Attention: Joseph P. McNerney and Kieren Knapp
American Osteopathic Board of Family Physicians
330 E. Algonquin Rd., Suite 6
Arlington Heights, IL 60005

But please email ASAP. Thank youuuuuuuuuuu

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
And this is why I refuse to participate in AOA/ACOFP/ABOFM activities certifications --- Anyone who does not have supratentoral insufficiency can see that exceptions need to be honored in this unique case -- unless the AOA/ACOFP/ABOFM WANT to be on the hook for the medical care required for a child born with defects 2/2 Zika exposure at the conference?

Reactions: 1 users
And this is why I refuse to participate in AOA/ACOFP/ABOFM activities certifications --- Anyone who does not have supratentoral insufficiency can see that exceptions need to be honored in this unique case -- unless the AOA/ACOFP/ABOFM WANT to be on the hook for the medical care required for a child born with defects 2/2 Zika exposure at the conference?
recertification* ;) At least for a majority of us

Members don't see this ad :)
ACOFP Position on Zika and Resident Convention Attendance

Dear ACOFP Program Directors & Family Medicine Residents,

The ACOFP would like to address any concerns over the Zika virus that Program Directors and Residents may have in anticipation of traveling to the April 6-9, 2016 Annual Convention in Puerto Rico.

We know of only 22 confirmed Zika cases out of 3.4 million people who live in Puerto Rico, with the majority of cases in southern locations away from San Juan.

Pregnant women and those anticipating pregnancy in the coming months are at highest risk; the life of the virus in the serum appears to be approximately six weeks. However, the ACOFP is taking the position that any resident choosing not to travel to Puerto Rico due to concern over acquiring the Zika virus will have their convention attendance requirement in the Basic Standards waived so that “training complete” status can be attained within the regular timeline.

Those who have already registered for the Convention with ACOFP can receive a full refund for convention registration fees; however, we ask that a written request be submitted to ACOFP Manager of Residency Inspections & Trainee Service Ms. Bina Mehta at CDC and the Zika Virus

Sincerely,

Kevin V. de Regnier, DO, FACOFP dist.
ACOFP President

So, that's good news. So you'll be board eligible for graduation. May run into issues if your job, like mine, requires BC at start date. But, I'm sure they'd offer an exception.

Yes! The ACOFP has been really willing to work with us. The last problem is with the ABOFM. They have some limited spots in Chicago in May for the practical exam but they have all been filled. They told me the next best thing is to take the practical in September. . .So that will unnecessarily delay our graduation .... I agree with above though, one person that attends that conference gets Zika and/or has a baby with microcephaly, the ABOFM will have to charge double what they do now to pay for all those medical bills....HUGE liability.

I take the e-mail above as saying, hey, we'll waive the requirement for the board exam at national conference and let you defer it until September at AOA.

Maybe I'm reading it wrong.

So glad I didn't pursue an AOA FM residency.
God me too. Mandatory attendance at an expensive conference outside the continental US to be eligible for board certification?! Typical elitist AOA thinking...to require membership AND attendance from your constituents seems to cheapen the whole board IMO. But then I'm pretty happy with the ABFM and I'll keep it that way, thanks.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Reactions: 1 user