ACOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

meddie1991

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I need help deciding. Any current ACOM students on here to speak about the school?

I really love this school but want to learn more about it, specifically how the rotations are? I know theres a good setup but what is the quality of clinical education? How open to instruction are the docs?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
It's under provisional accreditation, right? Is this necessarily a reason not to apply, this cycle?

It's under provisional accreditation, right? Is this necessarily a reason not to apply, this cycle?

I believe all new schools, who haven't graduated a class, are under provisional accreditation. I also think that no school has ever NOT been granted accreditation :)

Definitely NOT a reason to not apply.

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm an ACOM 2nd year. Reports from our 3rd year students are very encouraging. There are rotation sites in several large cities, including Tallahassee, Huntsville, Mobile and Birmingham. You get almost all of 4th year for selectives and electives (pick what you want to do).

The above poster sigmasigma is correct with the accreditation. It should not be considered an issue.

You can pm me if you have specific questions

I'm an ACOM 2nd year. Reports from our 3rd year students are very encouraging. There are rotation sites in several large cities, including Tallahassee, Huntsville, Mobile and Birmingham. You get almost all of 4th year for selectives and electives (pick what you want to do).

The above poster sigmasigma is correct with the accreditation. It should not be considered an issue.

You can pm me if you have specific questions

@DocWinter would you mind giving a brief overview of the pre-clinical curriculum at ACOM, for myself and others who may be interested in applying there? Thanks!

Do rotation sites have residencies? If not, do ACOM plan to establish them?

@DocWinter would you mind giving a brief overview of the pre-clinical curriculum at ACOM, for myself and others who may be interested in applying there? Thanks!

First year
1st Semester: 21 credits
  1. Gross Anatomy (huge course with combined lectures and lots of lab time)
  2. Molecular Medicine (Micro, Biochem, Genetics, etc)
  3. Osteopathic Principles and Practice (OPP)
  4. Primary Clinical Skills (PCS) - the clinical side of medicine, OSCES, Dr-patient interaction.
  5. Foundations of Modern Healthcare (FMH) - (biostats, vaccinations, legal issues)
All the courses in 1st semester run the full 19 weeks.

2nd Semester: 23 credits
You are now entering the "blocks". With the exception of OPP and PCS, which run semester long, you'll do one block and then start the next.
  1. Neuroanatomy - If you made it this far, don't ease up just yet. A massive 9 week course
  2. Heme/Lymph - blood and disease
  3. Musculoskeletal - something of a breather after the 1st two blocks
  4. Derm - pretty much a cakewalk after you get through the other courses
  5. OPP
  6. PCS
2nd year
1st semester: 19 credits
  1. Cardiovascular - As long and draining as Neuro, but more fun
  2. Pulmunary - not so exciting, not so bad
  3. Renal - haven't had it yet, but hear it is expectedly tough.
  4. PCS
  5. OPP
2nd Semester - cannot comment on. Will finish with roughly ~6 weeks to mid June (Boards)
  1. Endocrinology
  2. Reproductive
  3. Gastro
  4. OPP
  5. PCS
  6. FMH
OPP, PCS and FMH are all two credit courses. The bulk of our time is spent in the blocks.

I should mention that I have been impressed by the schools attentiveness for improvement - as you know they are in their 3rd year. our coursework has changed when they saw room for improvement, and the 2019 class has also been adjusted for, to give the best method of teaching possible.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
I asked during my interview and I was told that they will most likely have an internal med residency running in the next couple of years and that emergency medicine will be next. I was accepted here and a small chance I might decide to go there. There are some definite pluses to this school. Taking the practice board exam every year to prepare, "free" laptop and tablet, on-campus housing, 3rd year elective rotations, brand new campus that almost seems to perfectly setup. I grew up in Dothan and I am impressed to see something that impressive in our community.

TBH the reason I'm probably going to GA-PCOM is because I want to get into a competitive specialty. ACOM has a great rep, but I'm taking the certainty of a school with a more proven track record. I'm sure they will prepare you well. I just want the peace of mind that I can actually look at GA-PCOM's match list :D

Reactions: 1 user
I asked during my interview and I was told that they will most likely have an internal med residency running in the next couple of years and that emergency medicine will be next. I was accepted here and a small chance I might decide to go there. There are some definite pluses to this school. Taking the practice board exam every year to prepare, "free" laptop and tablet, on-campus housing, 3rd year elective rotations, brand new campus that almost seems to perfectly setup. I grew up in Dothan and I am impressed to see something that impressive in our community.

TBH the reason I'm probably going to GA-PCOM is because I want to get into a competitive specialty. ACOM has a great rep, but I'm taking the certainty of a school with a more proven track record. I'm sure they will prepare you well. I just want the peace of mind that I can actually look at GA-PCOM's match list :D
good call. PCOM-GA also has optional class attendance and no dress code.

Wow I didn't know about the no dress code at GA PCOM, must have been a required white coat day that I was there. Yeah at ACOM apparently it is either business cas or scrubs which sounds awesome. Dress code isn't a big deal for me though honestly.

user3 are you a GA-PCOM student? If so I would like to shoot you a PM.

there is also an unopposed FM residency at one of the rotation sites.

absolutely not. I chose ACOM over many more established schools with no RAGRETS (not even one letter)

Members don't see this ad :)
Not to mention P/F grading. PCOM-GA's my #1. Should be getting a secondary from them by mid Nov.

I'm currently a 3rd year here. I'm thoroughly enjoying it. I'm at one of the smaller hospitals for clerkships, but I chose it on purpose. It's all 1 on 1 with docs and you get a ton of good experience (intubating on day 1 of anesthesia, 1st assistant on all surgeries, etc...). Rearranging of the clerkship schedule is also a breeze when all of the docs know the students well.

I already have a couple auditions lined up in a pretty competitive specialty for fall of 2016 and none of them care what school I came from. They care about board scores and the audition is the rest (at least for AOA). IMHO it comes down to the individual and how bad they want it, regardless of where you go. (But I'm sure it wouldn't hurt to have some very closely affiliated residencies with lots of grads from your school ;) ).

First year
1st Semester: 21 credits
  1. Gross Anatomy (huge course with combined lectures and lots of lab time)
  2. Molecular Medicine (Micro, Biochem, Genetics, etc)
  3. Osteopathic Principles and Practice (OPP)
  4. Primary Clinical Skills (PCS) - the clinical side of medicine, OSCES, Dr-patient interaction.
  5. Foundations of Modern Healthcare (FMH) - (biostats, vaccinations, legal issues)
All the courses in 1st semester run the full 19 weeks.

2nd Semester: 23 credits
You are now entering the "blocks". With the exception of OPP and PCS, which run semester long, you'll do one block and then start the next.
  1. Neuroanatomy - If you made it this far, don't ease up just yet. A massive 9 week course
  2. Heme/Lymph - blood and disease
  3. Musculoskeletal - something of a breather after the 1st two blocks
  4. Derm - pretty much a cakewalk after you get through the other courses
  5. OPP
  6. PCS
2nd year
1st semester: 19 credits
  1. Cardiovascular - As long and draining as Neuro, but more fun
  2. Pulmunary - not so exciting, not so bad
  3. Renal - haven't had it yet, but hear it is expectedly tough.
  4. PCS
  5. OPP
2nd Semester - cannot comment on. Will finish with roughly ~6 weeks to mid June (Boards)
  1. Endocrinology
  2. Reproductive
  3. Gastro
  4. OPP
  5. PCS
  6. FMH
OPP, PCS and FMH are all two credit courses. The bulk of our time is spent in the blocks.

I should mention that I have been impressed by the schools attentiveness for improvement - as you know they are in their 3rd year. our coursework has changed when they saw room for improvement, and the 2019 class has also been adjusted for, to give the best method of teaching possible.

Awesome - thank you so much!!

Acom almost sold me on their free tablet/laptop. The mandatory attendance killed it.

Sent from my XT1092 using Tapatalk

I have to comment on the "mandatory attendance". It is 100% of "mandatory" classes, which are seldom and typically for guest lecturers or Integrative Sessions, and you can miss 2 per block without penalty. You are expected to attend 80% of regular classes, of which 25-30% are Do-At-Home assignments. It really equates to having to be there for a rough 60% or so of ALL coursework. Myself and 90% of my fellow classmates don't see the big deal. You can take 1-2 days off per week any time you want.

Ya the attendance policy really isn't the problem. Especially since it gets me up for 8:30 classes. Since we're done relatively early most days I find it pretty nice because Ill study after class and be done at a decent hour. Knowing myself if there wasn't mandatory classes I would sleep all day and be up half the night trying to catch up. The attendance doesn't let me fall into that cycle.

I need help deciding. Any current ACOM students on here to speak about the school?

I really love this school but want to learn more about it, specifically how the rotations are? I know theres a good setup but what is the quality of clinical education? How open to instruction are the docs?

Thanks.
Generally speaking, the clerkship docs don't want to be taught by students. :p

Second year at ACOM here. For those of you considering ACOM but are worried about the provisional accreditation there are a few things to understand. First, the primary difference between provisional and full accreditation is that with provisional your school has to be re-accredited every year whereas in full its every 4 years (or 5, I cant remember). No school has ever not been granted full accreditation, a couple of schools have come close (one did have their provisional accreditation extended) but the reasons were for lack of adequate rotation sites and low board pass rates. ACOM has more than enough rotation sites and has recently added 4 new hospitals. Our first year board pass rates were around 91%. The 2018 class and subsequent classes will almost certainly graduate from a fully accredited school.

Our first year board pass rates were around 91%. The 2018 class and subsequent classes will almost certainly graduate from a fully accredited school.
If I remember correctly, they said first year pass rates were 89%.

My class was told low 90s, either way the point is the same that we dont have a problem with board pass rates.

It should be noted that the caliber of student has increased from the inaugural class - average MCAT and overall GPA were notably higher for the 2018 and beyond classes. Also the teaching staff has adjusted and improved in some areas to make certain courses better than the inaugural class had it. I would expect the passing rate to be close to nat' average from here on out.

Also, we're set to kick butt in COMLEX PE and rotations...our Primary Clinical Skills course is IMO the best part of our curriculum.

I interviewed there this year and the Dean said 84% or 86% first time pass rate.. Plus I just saw that the He ( the Dean) got a DUI in 2012 and had pills in his car when arrested. That would make me very hesitant to attend that school. Not sure how that affects you as a future graduate but it can't be a good thing.

http://m.dothaneagle.com/news/crime...136-3d70-11e2-8541-0019bb30f31a.html?mode=jqm

I interviewed there this year and the Dean said 84% or 86% first time pass rate.. Plus I just saw that the He ( the Dean) got a DUI in 2012 and had pills in his car when arrested. That would make me very hesitant to attend that school. Not sure how that affects you as a future graduate but it can't be a good thing.

http://m.dothaneagle.com/news/crime...136-3d70-11e2-8541-0019bb30f31a.html?mode=jqm

Remember, remember the rescindment of November.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/facebook-and-your-application.1017462/#post-14214557

Probably doesn't have as much of an impact as you are thinking.

It should be noted that the caliber of student has increased from the inaugural class - average MCAT and overall GPA were notably higher for the 2018 and beyond classes. Also the teaching staff has adjusted and improved in some areas to make certain courses better than the inaugural class had it. I would expect the passing rate to be close to nat' average from here on out.

Also, we're set to kick butt in COMLEX PE and rotations...our Primary Clinical Skills course is IMO the best part of our curriculum.

I can attest to that. I was waitlisted my first year with slightly below average stats and denied outright my second year because I made minimal improvements. Finally got accepted after improving my MCAT.

Everybody brings out this old chestnut on every thread about ACOM. I think if your a matriculating student for c/o 2016 you better expect to see him there. I actually liked Dr. Lenz alot, he seems to be very passionate about medical education. Very charismatic IMO.

also if he was convicted idk if he would still be dean. dunno how it turned out but what happened to innocent until proven guilty

I can attest to that. I was waitlisted my first year with slightly below average stats and denied outright my second year because I made minimal improvements. Finally got accepted after improving my MCAT.

Everybody brings out this old chestnut on every thread about ACOM. I think if your a matriculating student for c/o 2016 you better expect to see him there. I actually liked Dr. Lenz alot, he seems to be very passionate about medical education. Very charismatic IMO.

I liked the guy a lot too, but he made a very poor decision and it I think it reflects negatively on the students and program.

I don't think it reflects poorly on any students for a decision that a member of the faculty made on his spare time...maybe on the program some for, but I don't think as much as people make it out.

Why did you choose to attend ACOM over other schools? What do you love/ best things about this school?

The assistant dean of osteopathic principles and practice has recently resigned his position abruptly and left the college after being picked up for, allegedly anyways, illegally recording his girlfriend in her residence in Florida. His son also attends the school. Keeping tradition with the dean's DUI and pills escapade years earlier. The school also still has required attendance and a dress code policy. As far as the "free" laptop and iPad being a selling point, apparently, for many people here - you're a medical student. You will receive a lot of financial aid. You can afford to buy them elsewhere. I do not recommend ACOM.

Source

Please explain to me what his son being a 3rd year (so not on campus) has anything to do with anything. You threw that in there to boast about your knowledge.

Reactions: 2 users
4th year ACOM student here. I have nothing but good things to say about ACOM. I enjoyed and thought the first two years set me up nicely for boards and third year. The PCS "doctoring" course is polished (much more so than when I was a first year - 1st class) and the standardized patients will have you ready for the PE. I was in the 80th - 90th percentile for USMLE / COMLEX 1 and 90th for Step 2 and 95th for COMLEX 2. You will be independently studying for these anyway but the didactics were clearly a good base for me to springboard off of. As for third year rotations, the newer sites excluded, have been around for over a decade as part AMEC (look it up) so ACOM is an older program than the building in Dothan suggests. The new sites I've heard are solid and friends in those locations seem to be having more positive than negative rotations. The neg is they are all preceptor based and you will need to do aways rotations at bigger institutions that are ward style with residents ect. I read a comment about PCOM giving a student an advantage for better residency and I agree and disagree with that. Your grades, rank, boards, letters are all much bigger factors than where you went in most, not all, specialties as far as I understand it. I am applying only to ACGME EM programs all over the country and I admit being from an unknown school makes me nervous. However, I have also gotten feedback from folks in the know at my number one program and they dont seem concerned as along as the rest of my file looks good (great SLOE's ect). As for Dr. T's arrest, I feel terrible for him and his family but that in my opinion means diddly in terms of the how you are taught and what you are taught. Our school preaches professionalism and those who are deemed unprofessional have been dealt with swiftly. Faculty are no exception. I realize this is an N=1 deal here but it's my experience none the less. I'll gladly answer questions for folks who have them.

one more thing. The dress code is not bad at all. You just have to dress decently at best to be good to go. The attendance policy is to the benefit of the students and there are studies out there to suggest that those who attend classes do better. Its not punitive the school just wants students to succeed for altruistic and non altruistic reasons. I can say that I was the type that never missed a day and during board season it was a freaking grind but I made it through. Where ever you go I suggest you buy into the system early and dont get caught up in the, " well they do it this way at that school stuff". This keeps your focus on the important business at hand.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
I liked the guy a lot too, but he made a very poor decision and it I think it reflects negatively on the students and program.
I disagree. Actually, in all my dealing with different attending no one has ever brought his situation up to me ever. Only a student trying to get into medical school would worry about how it looks because when were in that position we over analyze everything, Im guilty of it as well.

As am ACOM 3rd yr I concur with Emergdoc. I'm not quite the student he is and I've been an average grade and comlex, but that's more about my ceiling than my school. Our rotation sites (where you learn the real medicine, away from the home base) are pretty damn amazing for a DO school.

It's easy to kick sand but a mistake or choices leading to a pending charge doesn't define the school or the students. Dr T and Co taught us opp very well and we kicked butt on boards in that category. It's embarrassing but don't go around saying " I don't recommend ACOM" like you're an admissions councilor without having some context

Last edited:
As am ACOM 3rd yr I concur with Emergdoc. I'm not quite the student he is and I've been an average grade and comlex, but that's more about my ceiling than my school. Our rotation sites (where you learn the real medicine, away from the home base) are pretty damn amazing for a DO school.

It's easy to kick sand but a mistake or choices leading to a pending charge doesn't define the school or the students. Dr T and Co taught us opp very well and we kicked but on boards in that category. It's embarrassing but don't go around saying " I don't recommend ACOM" like you're am admissions councilor without having some context

Yes, he's an excellent educator. Crushing your boards doesn't depend on your teachers extracurriculars but rather their ability to teach. He built a solid OPP curriculum, so not recommending it is dumb.

You take my comments about ACOM too personally. I was providing information, and I offered my opinion on the school. Your disagreement doesn't invalidate what I have to say, just as my opinion does not invalidate what you have to say. Most medical students care about dress codes, attendance policies, and grading scales (e.g. P/F) - to dismiss them is nonsensical. As far as staff turnover and misconduct, regardless of how you want to feel about it, it reflects on the school, and moreover, it does impact the every day life of the student when, in this case, a professor who has obligations as far as lecturing and presiding over programs is concerned abruptly leaves.

You say only someone applying to medical school would care about these things, but a person who is not a medical student hasn't sat through many hours of "professionalism" training nor have they attended any medical school classes so I don't follow your logic. Medical school is actually a very serious thing. There's a lot of money and time on the line. The students and faculty should have the upmost respect for each other, but that includes making sure that both sides uphold their integrity. After all, both are bearing each others name.

Regardless, I am not looking to incite an argument. I'm very happy to hear about your sucess, and I hope you continue to do well. It's hard work, and it should be rewarded. Before, I provided information and offered my opinion. You are free to respectfully disagree, but do not act like the pride you feel for the school (and your success there) shields it from criticism.

Last edited:
I'm not sure exactly where you are in life or your education but people make mistakes and sometimes big ones. Anyone with any life experience would know that a professor making a terrible decision and breaking the law doesn't reflect on the program but reflects on the professor. If the school condoned it, covered it up ect, then that reflects on the school. As for reflecting on the students, you're absolutely wrong. As for affecting our everyday lives I assure you it does not and has not. A grown mans' actions have absolutely nothing to do with me or any of my fellow classmates. We are judged by the metrics of all medical students; grades, boards, work ethic, OUR professionalism. You are absolutely entitled to think whatever you like but telling me that myself and my classmates are now somehow tarnished is unrealistic. As for integrity, I feel the school did exactly what it had to do to protect its integrity. Also, I didn't dismiss anything you said about dress code or the like I was giving a factual account of what it entailed. You don't go to ACOM so you may think it's coat and tie, so I clarified what the code is as well as attendance and my take on it for those who care to read the response.
I do respect your opinion and your right to criticise whomever and whatever you like. I also have the right in a public forum to correct any inaccuracy in logic and fact I think is in that criticism. Whether this was ACOM or Yale I feel your argument doesn't hold water.

Respectfully
E.

Last edited:
Anybody have a good link to look at their facilities online? Can't seem to find much on their website. Only a few pictures. The student housing is another thing I would like to see. It all looks very nice from the few pictures I have seen though.

Anybody have a good link to look at their facilities online? Can't seem to find much on their website. Only a few pictures. The student housing is another thing I would like to see. It all looks very nice from the few pictures I have seen though.
No but they are 4 years old, all new and modern. Beautiful clean anatomy lab, nice OPP tables and ergonomic chairs in the classrooms with new team-based learning suits with projectors/monitors and all the techy stuff. Student housing next door is equally nice, new and comfortable although the prices are high compared to other nearby and similar living.

No but they are 4 years old, all new and modern. Beautiful clean anatomy lab, nice OPP tables and ergonomic chairs in the classrooms with new team-based learning suits with projectors/monitors and all the techy stuff. Student housing next door is equally nice, new and comfortable although the prices are high compared to other nearby and similar living.

I can't wait to see it in person, I've heard nothing but good things about ACOM

I highly recommend renting a house for the same money as those apts.