ACR vs APEx certification

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gfunk6

And to think . . . I hesitated
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Our practice is ACR certified in both Radiation Oncology and Imaging and we are coming up on our three year renewal. My partners have expressed potential interest in switching our certification to ASTRO's competing APEx accreditation program.

Info on APEx: https://www.astro.org/uploadedFiles...gement/Practice_Accrediation/GuidanceBook.pdf

I'm curious if any other practices are making the switch. It sounds like everything for APEx was finalized in Jan 2014 so I imagine there can't be too many adopters at present.

Members don't see this ad.

I think we will be going with acr when we renew at the end of the year. Not sure of the benefit of apex over acr. Plus with the imaging component I imagine it might be cheaper/easier to keep it all in the acr family?

Yes, it is definitely cheaper to bundle Rad Onc and Imaging for certification purposes. I spoke to the APEx coordinator at ASTRO and it sounds like their program won't be ready until Q4 2014. So ACR re-cert it is.

Yes, it is definitely cheaper to bundle Rad Onc and Imaging for certification purposes. I spoke to the APEx coordinator at ASTRO and it sounds like their program won't be ready until Q4 2014. So ACR re-cert it is.

Not to mention the recent politics coming out of ASTRO makes me rather support a neutral organization like the ACR.