ACS doesn't recognize podiatry for trauma call?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

podpod12

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone had any difficulty getting on Trauma call at a hospital not because of your training but because the hospital is ACS (American College of Surgeons) Trauma Certified and they do not recognize podiatry? This seems bogus as I graduated from a 6 hospital trauma call institution. Please advise on options?

Members don't see this ad.

Be careful what you wish for. Although I do not take "trauma" call, the members of our practice do get ER calls. We recently went over our billing and it was alarming and staggering to see the huge percentage of patients we have treated in the ER that have no insurance coverage, even with Obama Care. As a result we've done a lot of pro bono work unknowingly! Last week I was called in the middle of the night since a patient had air in the tissues/gas in the tissue indicating an emergent situation. I had to drive to the hospital, do the ER consult, contact the OR for the emergent case and had to wait for anesthesia, the OR crew, etc., to all get on board. Since it was emergent but not life/death, no one other than me was in a hurry. So over an hour later the case started. Of course the patient was not insured and it was another freebie. I'm happy to provide my services gratis when needed, but when it occurs often and involuntarily it can add up and have a negative impact on a practice. The sound of ER call and trauma call is macho and impressive, but you must remember that these patients don't make appointments, so be prepared to be available literally at ANY time. That's why I wrote to be careful what you wish for!

Reactions: 1 user
Be careful what you wish for. Although I do not take "trauma" call, the members of our practice do get ER calls. We recently went over our billing and it was alarming and staggering to see the huge percentage of patients we have treated in the ER that have no insurance coverage, even with Obama Care. As a result we've done a lot of pro bono work unknowingly! Last week I was called in the middle of the night since a patient had air in the tissues/gas in the tissue indicating an emergent situation. I had to drive to the hospital, do the ER consult, contact the OR for the emergent case and had to wait for anesthesia, the OR crew, etc., to all get on board. Since it was emergent but not life/death, no one other than me was in a hurry. So over an hour later the case started. Of course the patient was not insured and it was another freebie. I'm happy to provide my services gratis when needed, but when it occurs often and involuntarily it can add up and have a negative impact on a practice. The sound of ER call and trauma call is macho and impressive, but you must remember that these patients don't make appointments, so be prepared to be available literally at ANY time. That's why I wrote to be careful what you wish for!

You need to get yourself some residents...

We do work with residents, but that doesn't negate the fact I have to be present and if the patient is uninsured (despite obamacare) having a resident doesn't change my reimbursement.