ACS final exam for gen chem?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jmr5008

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just curious if anyone here has taken the ACS (American Chemical Society) standard final exam for gen chem. My current school does this for our 2 gen chem classes, in the second one that i'm in, they make us take this ACS exam that covers not only all of gen chem II, but all of gen chem I as well. I didnt even know this existed til I came to this school, but anyway if anyone has taken it I'd love to hear about it! Apparentally not too many at my school does well on it the average is a 50 or so. thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I've only had to take it for Organic I and II... The average reported grade for 2005 (the year I took those classes) was pretty low, as well - maybe in the 60s?? Luckily, our instructor scaled the grades; otherwise, I'm afraid everyone in my class would have been SOL :) I did use a study book published by the ACS which helped a little - if you're interested, the one for GenChem is called "Preparing for your ACS examination in general chemistry: The official guide" by Lucy Eubanks et.al.

That's all I can tell ya - hope it helps.

I took the ACS final exam for General Chem 1 and 2. For both exams, the class average was horrible... For General Chem 1, I remembered out of my class of approximately 100 students, only 1 student made a 70. The rest of the class made D's and F's. For General Chem 2, I don't know what the grades were, but our teacher said he will decide if he will calculate the final exam into our final grade depending on how the class did as a whole, because a lot of students were complaining about the exam after turning it in. It was irrelevent to what he taught us in class. He ended up not counting the ACS exam as part of our grade.

Members don't see this ad :)
I took the exam you are talking about because I'm a teaching assistant in the department of chemistry at my school. I don't know why they made me take it because I'm an undergrad, but they make the entering graduate students take it as one of their "proficiency" exams. I thought it was pretty hard, but hadn't taken gen chem in a few years when I took it. I think I made a 77% on the test, which put me in the 91st percentile as far the ACS was concerned. It was way harder than the PCAT chemistry section.

I took the ACS final for Gen Chem (and for O-chem). Our class average was actually pretty good. There's a study guide published by ACS. It's very thorough. The exam looks just like the study questions. If you can do those without difficulty, the exam is doable.

Definitely get the study guide, especially if your department includes it in your actual grade. It helped me a good deal (I got the highest score for anyone at my school that semester).

Here is a list of sample questions for an ADA exam that my OChem teacher sent. <http://www.ada.org/prof/ed/testing/dat/dat_candidate_sampletest.pdf>

It has GChem, OChem and one other subject on there. I took the OCHEM ACS and the Anal. Chem :laugh: exams. They were both pretty tough for someone who hadn't touched either for a couple years. I had to retake the OCHEM one 2x to pass. I know our campus bookstore carries the OCHEM practice exam at the instructor's request. You can also order practice exams directly from ACS. <http://www4.uwm.edu/chemexams/>

AND Biochem, took all 3 exams in my undergrad...not fun I hate standardized tests!!!!

Here is a list of sample questions for an ADA exam that my OChem teacher sent. <http://www.ada.org/prof/ed/testing/dat/dat_candidate_sampletest.pdf>

It has GChem, OChem and one other subject on there. I took the OCHEM ACS and the Anal. Chem :laugh: exams. They were both pretty tough for someone who hadn't touched either for a couple years. I had to retake the OCHEM one 2x to pass. I know our campus bookstore carries the OCHEM practice exam at the instructor's request. You can also order practice exams directly from ACS. <http://www4.uwm.edu/chemexams/>

Taking my exams(general Chem 1) on Tuesday,ie 4 days from today,Any site i can get sample questions?