Action Potential vs. Membrane Potential

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BIO-engineer

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Are the parameters of Action Potentials the same as the parameters of Membrane Potentials?

When googling the two, the same graphs show up.

Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

I would say yes. Transmission of an action potential is a dynamic and relatively stereotyped set of changes in membrane potential in a particular neuron. It isn't entirely foreign from syncytial changes across conductive myocardial tissue. Both have membranes, both have channels. Obviously, the number, type, and state of channels is what makes the dynamic part of the process different across tissues, cellular subtype, priming situation, etc.

I would say yes. Transmission of an action potential is a dynamic and relatively stereotyped set of changes in membrane potential in a particular neuron. It isn't entirely foreign from syncytial changes across conductive myocardial tissue. Both have membranes, both have channels. Obviously, the number, type, and state of channels is what makes the dynamic part of the process different across tissues, cellular subtype, priming situation, etc.

Thanks for the reply.
Another quick question, are the Acetylcholine receptor, sodium channel and potassium channel separated from each other?
I was watching the video below where she states that acetylcholine receptors are contained within the ligand-gated cation channel (time: 1.30).
How come the sodium channel and potassium channel are not mentioned in the video and both potassium ions and sodium ions passes through the ligand-gated cation channel?

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the reply.
Another quick question, are the Acetylcholine receptor, sodium channel and potassium channel separated from each other?
I was watching the video below where she states that acetylcholine receptors are contained within the ligand-gated cation channel (time: 1.30).
How come the sodium channel and potassium channel are not mentioned in the video and both potassium ions and sodium ions passes through the ligand-gated cation channel?

There are two types of ACh receptors, metabotropic (GPCR) and ionotropic (Ligand gated channel). In both cases activating the receptor will cause a flux of ions such as Na and K through the channel. Simply speaking, the ACh receptor allows for flow of cations when opened.