action potential

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

akimhaneul

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it possible to increase the speed of action potential propagation other than through the myelinated axons?

For example, does increasing the intensity of the stimulus increase the speed of action potential propagation? I know that it increases the frequency of action potentials, but I wasn't sure about the speed of action potential.

I was thinking that only the frequency increases and not the speed because of refractory period.

Members don't see this ad.

Im pretty sure that an increase in the strength of a stimulus only increases the frequency of the signal, not the propagation speed.

The speed of the action potential is determined based on the conductance - it's basically an electrical impulse that spreads according to the laws of physics once it is initiated. It's impossible for the body to modulate the speed of the action potential at the timescale required for that modulation to carry any meaningful information because the speed of the action potential depends on factors like myelination.

Reactions: 1 user