Menu Icon Search
Close Search

About the ads

Active Duty Army National Medical Student Program?

Discussion in 'Military Medicine' started by NJEMT1, 05.14.08.

1. NJEMT1

NJEMT1 Member

Attending Physician
    SDN 10+ Year Member

SDN Members don't see this ad. (About Ads)
    All students at my med school were forwarded this email and attachment:

How will this program work?? During the clinical years at my school there is definitely no time for 39 days of active duty! And what would a med student possibly contribute? It is the active duty requirement upon graduation that is their contribution, but that's not required by this program...

"I just wanted to forward information to you concerning one of the most generous programs for Medical/Osteopathic Students ever announced by the Army National Guard this past week. Students may be placed on ACTIVE DUTY while attending School. This has a potential of almost $55,000 a year while attending School. There is still no active duty requirement upon graduation. The Student still chooses his/her Residency upon graduation. See also attached flyer."

Attached Files:

2. iatrosB

iatrosB trying not to kill anyone

Resident [Any Field]
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    It's not 39 days straight of active duty...see the "Best deal ever offered by military" thread for more details. The 39 days is the one weekend a month and 2 weeks a year drilling time.
  3. amindwalker

amindwalker Forgetful omniscient

Medical Student
    SDN 7+ Year Member
    I'm in that program now. It is really that good. Not to mention all of the active duty benefits. I'm sure everybody at the mil-med forum is getting tired of reading all of my posts on the subject, so I won't repeat all the stuff I've already written, so check out http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=522000. You can also PM me if you want more 411.
  4. emt409

emt409

MD/PhD Student
    SDN 7+ Year Member
    Hey,

I'm an MS-1 at UAB and joining this program. Seems like a fantastic deal, especially considering I'd been wanting to do some kind of service anyway. Additionally, I'm considering doing the MSTP, and I was informed by recruiter that even though this program only last 3 years, something could certainly be worked out.

Does anyone know if people who join are eligible for any of the national guard sign-up incentives, or are these just for enlistees?

http://www.military.com/recruiting/...y-national-guard-bonus-and-incentive-overview

Thanks,
    Evan
    MS-1
    UASOM
  5. DIVINEDIVA2

DIVINEDIVA2 Dr. Divine Diva

Pre-Medical
    Why you decide to go into the military for training? I am a debating about the Health Professional Scholarship with the Army. Everything sounds good about the scholarship, the Army paying for medical school plus a stipend. My point is do I want to go back into the Army, while this war is going on. What was your decision?

// Share //

Style: SDN Universal