active duty extension

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

iLuvDAT

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i became worried when i read from another thread that bquad got a 16-month active duty extension. obviously, he was ready to serve only 4 years active duty in the army, but all of sudden, he was told to stay there for another year. how often is this to happen? Are there any extra benefits that come with the extension?

Members don't see this ad.

i became worried when i read from another thread that bquad got a 16-month active duty extension. obviously, he was ready to serve only 4 years active duty in the army, but all of sudden, he was told to stay there for another year. how often is this to happen? Are there any extra benefits that come with the extension?

Hello,

There are no extra benefits other then the regular stuff which I might add is quite good. I owed 3 years AD and served 4.5 years. The Army is the branch that will most likely extend you beyond your time with the Navy a far second, the AF is almost like the civilian world and I have never heard of anybody who served beyond there commitment if they didn't desire.

Following AD I have many friends that have not purchased into private practice yet because the Army can call you off IRR if they desire. They have waited until they can resign their commission at 8 years and then purchase in.

My extension was because Alaska is considered an overseas tour and requires a 3 year tour, of course it would have been civil and acceptable if they had told be that before I volunteered to go to Korea for the sole purpose of following on to Alaska (where my wife was in practice).

This year the Army passed a regulation saying that they can stop you from getting out if they need you to deploy, even for PROFIS slots. Luckily, they just dropped PROFIS deployments from 15 to 6 months, but that's still 6 months they can keep you in plus the time to use up your leave and outprocess (usually 60- 90 days after you redeploy).

The only benefit of being extending on active duty is that it will leave less time on your IRR payback by the time you get out.