Activities Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dbhvt

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Yes, I know I'm late, but I'm finalizing my AMCAS now. I did August MCAT, so it doesn't matter :p !

Anyhow, my question is about the the activites section. Let's say you start participating in a club your freshman year, and then your junior year you take on a leadership position. Should you put "Vice President, blah club" for the experience name, or put "blah club" as the experience name, and wait until the description section to say you were vice president your junior year?

The problem is in the experience dates. I feel like if I put vice president in the description section, noone is going to see it, but how can I put it in the experience name if I say I started this experience my freshman year? I wasn't vice-president my freshman year!

Members don't see this ad.

I personally think you're worrying too much. You can put Vice President, Future Farmers of America as the title, then put the dates you were involved with the org., and then in the description, say that you were involved from freshman year on, but became VP this last year. Or you can do it the other way and put VP in the description.

mashce said:
I personally think you're worrying too much. You can put Vice President, Future Farmers of America as the title, then put the dates you were involved with the org., and then in the description, say that you were involved from freshman year on, but became VP this last year. Or you can do it the other way and put VP in the description.

that's exactly what i did, and i put the vice president tag first (i.e. "Vice President, Emergendy Medical Services Association")

Members don't see this ad :)
One thing that I learned AFTER I applied is that some schools (UCSF) do not even see the narrative description that we write, and elect to only see the titles. This may give you a reason to include the office that you held in the actual title. Good luck!

Thanks all. This was helpful.

Heh, I agonized over the perfect wording for all those narrative descriptions and some schools don't even look at them!