Actual Writing Prompt Identical to Practice Prompts?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Snowy

Will I ever be a doctor?
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Yep! I had these two identical prompts:

Pride weakens powerful nations.
Education comes not from books but from practical experience

Yep! I had these two identical prompts:

Pride weakens powerful nations.
Education comes not from books but from practical experience

That first prompt is pretty intense.... What examples did you use?

Cheers.

Members don't see this ad :)
That first prompt is pretty intense.... What examples did you use?

Cheers.

You're going to get a chuckle out of this. Let me start by saying, I chose to have fun with the writing sample and thus used crazy examples and overall took it lightly. This is because I had heard the only thing that matters is how well you follow directions and develop your argument.

So that being said, I started by defining powerful nations, and saying that there is a finite amount of power in the world so if one nation gains power, others must lose it. I also defined pride, and said that if a nation takes pride in something, it will put more resources into whatever that something is.

I then went on to give my counter example. I decided to use Canada's military (because we all know how powerful canada is and how huge their military is LOL) I said in this case, Canada gains strength from the pride they take in their military. I backed this up by saying because they take so much pride in their military, they dump tons of money in it, so it gets stronger and stronger. Thus, they gain more power while all other nation's power goes to zero-->soon canada will take over the world!

To some it all up I said that taking pride in things which will gain you power i.e the military, the economy, etc etc, will strengthen a powerful nation but that taking pride in a national ballet team, or flower growing, would weaken a powerful nation.

I bet you are thinking I'm crazy for making up such stupid and crazy examples, and I'm sure I could have done better if I used more concrete and realistic ones, BUT I got and "R", so I am happy, and I had fun!!!!!:laugh: