Acute coronary syndrome medications

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fernandbteich

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello
I have two questions about acute coronary syndromes. I can't find answers online.
1- If a person known to have CAD is already on Aspirin+/-Clopidogrel (with previous cardiac events), and develops acute coronary syndrome, do we reload the patient with 325mg of Aspirin and 300mg of Clopidogrel or just continue maintenance doses?

2- If a person presents with NSTEMI and a coronarography is planned less than 12 hours later, is it recommended to give a continuous infusion of heparin in addition to the 80IU/kg bolus?

Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

1) Give 325 ASA, don't reload Plavix 2) Not sure what the official recs are, some interventional guys like different things, in general give the continuous infusion and bolus.

Interesting. I'd be a lot more comfortable reloading both, and if I had to choose one it would be plavix. I'd assume either noncompliance or plavix resistance and would definitely give a top up 300.

Ultimately switch to ticagrelor (or maybe prasugrel in a younger diabetic).

Re: heparin bolus and infusion sounds fine.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm an internist, not a cardiologist, and in my residency ~5 yrs ago we didn't reload plavix. The thinking was the half life is so long reloading is not needed. I just looked it up and found a study from 2013 citing a clinical benefit for reloading, so... reload!

Hello
I have two questions about acute coronary syndromes. I can't find answers online.
1- If a person known to have CAD is already on Aspirin+/-Clopidogrel (with previous cardiac events), and develops acute coronary syndrome, do we reload the patient with 325mg of Aspirin and 300mg of Clopidogrel or just continue maintenance doses?

2- If a person presents with NSTEMI and a coronarography is planned less than 12 hours later, is it recommended to give a continuous infusion of heparin in addition to the 80IU/kg bolus?

Thank you

Agree.

Reload (and probably switch to ticagrellor... not exactly a bunch of indications to use prasugrel over ticagrellor)

Bolus + infusion of heparin even if going right to cath lab. We'll turn it off and check an ACT once we get access regardless.